Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

FM and GM are different enough to complement one another. My "variety" snark was more to do with owning a QC and an FM3 because you might wake up one morning with a burning desire to tweak SIC on a power amp you've never even seen in real life. Or something. Except you haven't actually found the time to learn how to do that, and would probably have a conniption trying. :D
And I end up always going to move the GM from pedalboard to whatever idiotic form factor concoction to make an updated rig work. Buying a second GM (while it might seem excessive or stupid) frees up this mindset and allows me to futz around and find out while knowing there will be a stable rig in the mix alongside something perpetually changing :love

One thing to consider. And not to add to the overthought.

I was having some volume issues with my FR and the FM. I worked out my level issues for the most part but if the QC has a lower output; you might find the FR isn't going to be loud enough in some situations. Keeping up with a LOUD band without PA support could be a crap shoot. If you just want it for loud "flat-ish" jamming; it kills.
No loud band action on the immediate radar. I've just started working with a drummer again, but he's not a basher at all. The other day I was able to (easily) keep up with him running QC -> BAM200 -> that little Stage Right 1x12.

No loud band action on the immediate radar. I've just started working with a drummer again, but he's not a basher at all. The other day I was able to (easily) keep up with him running QC -> BAM200 -> that little Stage Right 1x12.
You should be good then. Half of my issue was something on the FM that I am not sure where I had it wrong after it was all said and done.

Just get a new one from a place with a good return policy imo. There's value in that safety net. Or see if a local place (GC?) has one in stock and go down there with your QC. Interestingly I haven't really played for more than a few minutes with my QC/FR. I just moved and am in the process of getting reorganized.

I have two FR-10s - I originally had a 12 and a 10 at the same time, but due to space constraints , I had to opt for the 10s if I wanted two. I don’t feel like I am missing much by going with the 10s.

Just get a new one from a place with a good return policy imo. There's value in that safety net. Or see if a local place (GC?) has one in stock and go down there with your QC. Interestingly I haven't really played for more than a few minutes with my QC/FR. I just moved and am in the process of getting reorganized.
Absolutely no one around here (CT) has FR-xx in stock. Or has any idea what you're on about when you ask.

"I can probably custom order that for you..." Neato, pal. So can I. :D

I have two FR-10s - I originally had a 12 and a 10 at the same time, but due to space constraints , I had to opt for the 10s if I wanted two. I don’t feel like I am missing much by going with the 10s.
Right, I saw your comment in the FAS thread. I'm kind of confused though. The Sweetwater page says they're only 2 lbs different in weight, and only 4" different in width. Am I reading the specs wrong? It seems like the FR-12 is only very slightly larger than the FR-10, which is... weird.

Right, I saw your comment in the FAS thread. I'm kind of confused though. The Sweetwater page says they're only 2 lbs different in weight, and only 4" different in width. Am I reading the specs wrong? It seems like the FR-12 is only very slightly larger than the FR-10, which is... weird.

Yes, the 12s, if I recall, were juuuust a bit too wide for my space. Weight wise, I don’t remember being much of a difference at all.

IMG_2474.jpeg

They've already got the PowerCab line. It's non-good.

Aye, but that was an experiment in modelling the speaker response too, with the added expense of SHARC DSP to do it, IIRC.

I guess our friend is hoping that L6 may try again with a straight up flat response cab with no fancy DSP business going on.

They've already got the PowerCab line. It's non-good.
That's another thing. They lack an "fr" without speaker modeling.

Aye, but that was an experiment in modelling the speaker response too, with the added expense of SHARC DSP to do it, IIRC.

I guess our friend is hoping that L6 may try again with a straight up flat response cab with no fancy DSP business going on.
That's right👍

That's another thing. They lack an "fr" without speaker modeling.
It’s got a full range setting. Probably still running through DSP though.

1727282718349.png

Line 6's website said:

FULL RANGE, FLAT RESPONSE​

If you are happy with your modeler’s onboard cabinet models and just want to hear the sound of your presets amplified, simply connect the modeler to a Powercab, select Flat mode, and play. Custom coaxial speakers with high-frequency compression drivers provide the benefits of a full-range, flat-response ("FRFR") speaker system—but with the rapid transient response of guitar speakers, resulting in a more authentic and familiar feel.

Last edited:
Back