Fender FR-10/FR-12 noise reduction mod

I just received an FR-10 from Thomann, delivered to the UK.

I had hoped that it being June 2024 and Thomann having high stock turnover that I would have the revision board from Fender but nope. If anything, the noise floor and hiss sounds slightly higher than I recall from the FR-12 I had in Canada. 😞

Other than that, it sounds great and still way more amp-like than studio monitors.

Got FR-10 after checking at the store and brought home. It is dead quiet. To my surprise, i vastly preferred Helix amps over FM3 on FR-10. They sound warmer and more analog. Fractal sounds too sterile and sharp for some reason. Gotta try more tomorrow but first impression is really great. Very happy with the cab, it really has a real amp vibe while carrying over digital representation. Best "FRFR" speaker I have had ever for an electric guitar.

Last edited:
Since the range of serial numbers eligible for PCB replacement is "CHNA23XXXXXX to CHNI23XXXXXX"... is the idea that any FR-10 or FR-12 with a higher serial number will have the revised board, or is there another way to easily tell at a store without turning it on?

Though if it's the former, does anyone know how their serial numbers are formatted? Since someone on the last page reported one with a low CHNA24XXXXXX number having loud idle hiss still, I'm guessing that the 23 / 24 refers to the year of production, which would mean that some with the 24 number there might still have the old board (despite being outside of the range eligible for free PCB replacement).

Back