Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

Why do you need a new Preamp? did not Fender make a revised version to fix the Hiss ?
Because we can and it's sexy as f*ck!

Credit for text and photo below goes to WKSmith:

It has a new eq in the middle of a tuned and refined version of the stock preamp.

It adds phantom power protection.
It adds a clip light through a clear vol knob.
Premium eq/cut pots with 40 fine clicks.
It hisses less than even the "fixed" stock pre.
The bass knob is tuned to hit a lower freq.
The mid knob is now a fat wide q.
The ICs are in sockets for tinkerers.
Soic pads also included for tinkerers.
It has pads for a mute/standby switch.
It has a Jumper for bypassing the x-over.
The PC boards are 2 sided with dual ground planes and are gold plated.
Premium passive parts everywhere.
Heavier AWG cables for better power/signal.

V2 Preamp snip.JPG

Because we can and it's sexy as f*ck!

Credit for text and photo below goes to WKSmith:

It has a new eq in the middle of a tuned and refined version of the stock preamp.

It adds phantom power protection.
It adds a clip light through a clear vol knob.
Premium eq/cut pots with 40 fine clicks.
It hisses less than even the "fixed" stock pre.
The bass knob is tuned to hit a lower freq.
The mid knob is now a fat wide q.
The ICs are in sockets for tinkerers.
Soic pads also included for tinkerers.
It has pads for a mute/standby switch.
It has a Jumper for bypassing the x-over.
The PC boards are 2 sided with dual ground planes and are gold plated.
Premium passive parts everywhere.
Heavier AWG cables for better power/signal.

View attachment 23875
Sure is a Nice high quality board, but isn't it an expensive component ?

Why do you need a new Preamp? did not Fender make a revised version to fix the Hiss ?
It's not just the hiss. There are other issues that may or may not matter for some people. And you don't need a new preamp. The V2 is objectively and audibly an upgrade though. The FR-12 goes from "excellent sounding with some design flaws" to "more excellent sounding with no design flaws."
Sure is a Nice high quality board, but isn't it an expensive component ?
No it's not very expensive.

Yeah, I love these aesthetics. I'm so on board with FR-FR speakers looking like real amps or cabs. The FR-FR wedge monitors I have are very good, but they just don't have the same vibe or appeal visually. And I know that may be trivial to some, but for me playing guitar as a whole experience involves the sound, the feel, and the aesthetic.

I've actually spent a long time looking at getting a real cab, but it seems so impractical these days. Every IR I prefer is a Pre-Rola Greenback 412, and even a pair of those speakers will cost over €1000 now. Plus the size of the cab, its directionality, and its weight are all drawbacks. Then there's the means of powering it, be that a tube amp with a power-amp in, or a solid state class AB amp that's not quite designed for that purpose, and it's still heavy and cumbersome. In short, I'm all-in on modelling, I'm not yet all-in on FR-FR, but I'm all-in on FR-FR cab hybrids once they're done right.

Yeah, I love these aesthetics. I'm so on board with FR-FR speakers looking like real amps or cabs. The FR-FR wedge monitors I have are very good, but they just don't have the same vibe or appeal visually. And I know that may be trivial to some, but for me playing guitar as a whole experience involves the sound, the feel, and the aesthetic.
I agree 100%.

I don't know if my FR-12 actually sounds better than my Atomic CLRs (haven't done an A/B comparison) but the experience feels more like playing through a tube amp combo and I like it.

I have some major dialing in to do before I'm getting optimal results but I'm really looking forward to having my FM9/FR-12 rig as my main setup for playing out.

Time will tell if that's the way I decide to go but the potential is there and so far I'm very happy with the results.

Just finished reading the whole thread. The hissgate has prevented me from getting a FR12. As I'm not in a hurry, I think I'll wait to see what other solutions other brands come with. I'd be surprised if Line6 doesn't make a powercab without cab simulation soon enough.

Back