Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

ryan reynolds hd GIF
Hahahaha. I just wanted to know as much as possible about this thing.

I've read that not all new FR12 have the fix, and also, spending extra $100 to fix something that should be fixed already...

I bought my FR-12 months ago and I don't think it had "the fix". It had some hiss but it was pretty low. Noticeable in a quiet room when not playing but inaudible when playing, let alone when playing with others.

I considered getting the Archangel V2 Gold to be an option, not a necessity. I ended up getting it not just for the hiss reduction but for all of the other benefits it offers including the improved tone controls, phase correction, headroom, and overall clarity. I didn't consider this a fix as much as an upgrade, in the same way that you might do a pickup swap even on a new $3K+ Les Paul Reissue.

If a quality pickup swap is reasonable, even one that costs around $150 or more, then spending a comparable amount to upgrade the preamp on the FR-12 seems equally reasonable. People get amps modded all the time, particularly Marshalls, and if you can get that done for $150 it's a steal. With the V2 preamp a FR-12 is around $700. To me, that's a very reasonable amount to pay for a quality amp that's easy to carry and capable of concert volume.

With all of that said, I can see how, if you're committed to staying in the Helix camp and have no pressing immediate need for a modeling amp, it may make sense to wait to see if Helix comes out with something particularly designed to be compatible with and to enhance what you already have.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

Last edited:
I considered getting the Archangel V@ Gold to be an option, not a necessity. I ended up getting it not just for the hiss reduction but for all of the other benefits it offers including the improved tone controls, phase correction, headroom, and overall clarity. I didn't consider this a fix as much as an upgrade..,

Typo? I can’t find a product with “Archangel V@ Gold.”

I bought my FR-12 months ago and I don't think it had "the fix". It had some hiss but it was pretty low. Noticeable in a quiet room when not playing but inaudible when playing, let alone when playing with others.

I considered getting the Archangel V2 Gold to be an option, not a necessity. I ended up getting it not just for the hiss reduction but for all of the other benefits it offers including the improved tone controls, phase correction, headroom, and overall clarity. I didn't consider this a fix as much as an upgrade, in the same way that you might do a pickup swap even on a new $3K+ Les Paul Reissue.

If a quality pickup swap is reasonable, even one that costs around $150 or more, then spending a comparable amount to upgrade the preamp on the FR-12 seems equally reasonable. People get amps modded all the time, particularly Marshalls, and if you can get that done for $150 it's a steal. With the V2 preamp a FR-12 is around $700. To me, that's a very reasonable amount to pay for a quality amp that's easy to carry and capable of concert volume.

With all of that said, I can see how, if you're committed to staying in the Helix camp and have no pressing immediate need for a modeling amp, it may make sense to wait to see if Helix comes out with something particularly designed to be compatible with and to enhance what you already have.

Good luck no matter what you decide.
How do you find the v2 preamp? Did it make a meaningful improvement?

How do you find the v2 preamp? Did it make a meaningful improvement?
Absolutely!

It's an improvement over the stock preamp across the board. Liam has listed all of the changes but for me the most important improvements in addition to the elimination of the hiss are the overall increased clarity, tighter and extended bass, better tone controls, and increased headroom.

For me, the hiss elimination was icing on the cake.

Back