Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

Y'all thanks for the many replies!

Just to shout out, despite the FR12 great reviews, it isn't totally ""FRFR"" either, or? It's at least what I read about it....

No, it's not totally flat but it translates well from my studio monitors and is "good enough". It has a pleasing sound.

Thanks guys. I am totally aware of these "FRFR" discussions. I already tested some of these solutions and never warmed up to them. Therefore I stuck to poweramp and guitar speaker setups.

But the hassle, weight, size and other things are really letting me think to downsize a bit as we go FOH anyway. The FR12 sounds to be great contender in this ballpark.
I just thought the catalyst CX could also be a backup if Helix should fail. You know 2 for 1 sorta 😅🤘

But I think I'll wait for the FR12

+1. ""FRFR"" is only meaningful within the context of use.

For example, the FR-10/12 is relatively flat and full range for guitars, but has a steep cutoff at ~40Hz, so it will sound like crap for bass.
It may sound crap for bass for other reasons, but a cutoff at ~40Hz (does it really?) isn't it. Many popular bass cabs have cutoffs higher than that.

It may sound crap for bass for other reasons, but a cutoff at ~40Hz (does it really?) isn't it. Many popular bass cabs have cutoffs higher than that.

Sorry, i was talking just about what the preamp circuit can do :( The speaker definitely can't go that low; in fact, Fender quotes the frequency response for the FR-10/12 as 70Hz - 20kHz.

And even that is a bit optimistic. In my experience, highs roll off past 10-ish kHz on the FR-12.

Last edited:
Sorry, i was talking just about what the preamp circuit can do :( The speaker definitely can't go that low; in fact, Fender quotes the frequency response for the FR-10/12 as 70Hz - 20kHz.

And even that is a bit optimistic. In my experience, highs roll off past 10-ish kHz on the FR-12.
Specs and frequencies be dammed if it sounds good to you then thats the only specification that counts

Therefore I stuck to poweramp and guitar speaker setups.

Walter Matthau Sport GIF

I finally got my fr12 today. It sounds pretty good, I'm not disappointed...
But a hiss is there; it's not dead silent.
It's in the league of that you can hear that it is turned on, but actually not more. I don't think it will bother me.

What bothers me, is that the build is not perfect. There is like a dent on top and the tolex on the back isn't great. Are yours the same?

PXL_20240330_154721272.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
PXL_20240330_154732500.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW
Anyone try a bass through one of these?

It will almost assuredly sound like ass :( This is not a bass amp. Fender quotes the frequency response down to 70Hz, mostly because of the speaker, but the preamp will cut off at 40-50Hz anyway.

The FR-10/12 are also under-powered for bass, IMHO. Their true power output is around 150 (loud) Watts.

Last edited:
Anyone try a bass through one of these?
It will almost assuredly sound like ass :( This is not a bass amp. Fender quotes the frequency response down to 70Hz, mostly because of the speaker, but the preamp will cut off at 40-50Hz anyway.

The FR-10/12 are also under-powered for bass, IMHO. Their true power output is around 150 (loud) Watts.
It's actually not bad for bass. I barely ever use my bass (not even sure why I have one) and only tried it for a few minutes when a friend was over but I seemed to work pretty well.

I picked up a FR-10 awhile back used and now no power, nothing. After doing some research, and looking for a power supply (board) for sale online with no luck, it looks like these FR-10s were not meant for repair. So not all is lost, I would like to use it as a speaker cab. I have a little Bad Cat Mini Cat tube amp I would like to use to power the cab. This may be more challenging then not since it isn't just 1 main speaker, it also has a tweeter, that would need to be crossed over so not sure if I'm up for all of that. Would it make more sense to scrap the OEM speakers and just get full range Celestion 10"? Thoughts?

I picked up a FR-10 awhile back used and now no power, nothing. After doing some research, and looking for a power supply (board) for sale online with no luck, it looks like these FR-10s were not meant for repair. So not all is lost, I would like to use it as a speaker cab. I have a little Bad Cat Mini Cat tube amp I would like to use to power the cab. This may be more challenging then not since it isn't just 1 main speaker, it also has a tweeter, that would need to be crossed over so not sure if I'm up for all of that. Would it make more sense to scrap the OEM speakers and just get full range Celestion 10"? Thoughts?
@Lysander ?

WKSmith on the Fractal forum has done a bunch of work with these things. Most of that has been on the preamp but he may have some insights. Maybe join over there and post in his thread.

The power amp module is custom built for Fender, and is also the main power supply for the amp. It sits on the bottom of the cabinet behind a metal grill Faraday cage.

Thing is, if that module died, it's basically impossible to get a replacement 😥 Your best bet is a warranty claim with Fender methinks.

Other than that, both the FR-10 and FR-12 are biamped, meaning there's no crossover in place if you want to turn them into a normal cab.

Back