Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

Anybody using FR-10/12 for acoustic + vocal?
My usecase would be mostly electric guitar + tonex + stomp -> "FRFR".
On a rare occasion I have an acoustic gig with a singer.

Would this kind of signal chain work: HX Stomp with BOSS VE-20 in the loop to FR-10?

EDIT: seems more like question for Stomp thread :)

Hey everyone,

Somehow in Germany the FR12 is taking a long time to hit the shelfs again. I ordered mine in December and it is still not here... postponed to end of March. I am getting a bit restless...

Now, I am a Helix user and line6 just kicked the new Catalyst CX through the door...
Has anyone tried this amp (or the old version, doesn't matter) as a ""FRFR"" replacement? There is a Poweramp IN switch where you can bypass the preamp and effects by plugging it in the send return.
A benefit could be, that if helix drops out, you still can use the amp..

Hey everyone,

Somehow in Germany the FR12 is taking a long time to hit the shelfs again. I ordered mine in December and it is still not here... postponed to end of March. I am getting a bit restless...

Now, I am a Helix user and line6 just kicked the new Catalyst CX through the door...
Has anyone tried this amp (or the old version, doesn't matter) as a """FRFR""" replacement? There is a Poweramp IN switch where you can bypass the preamp and effects by plugging it in the send return.
I'd guess it won't react to IR files and cab models the same way, but if you can live with that, it seems like a powerful and capable power amp/backup amp.

Hey everyone,

Has anyone tried this amp (or the old version, doesn't matter) as a """FRFR""" replacement? There is a Poweramp IN switch where you can bypass the preamp and effects by plugging it in the send return.
It is a guitar amp cabinet. I.e., the very thing that cause people to invent the term “"FRFR"” as a term to distinguish running a modeler into a PA speaker or similar. Which is to say it would be trrrible as an "FRFR" because it is not one.

Hey everyone,

That is the way I use mine, Stomp XL into the Cat212 in Power amp mode. IMO, it sounds great to me and my band mates say they really like the tones too. John Cordy has a video where he liked the Cat better than "FRFR" using it this way.

Eh? You've not heard an FR-12 or FR-10 in real life yet with your modeller have you?

Or did you go and demo one after all?

I had a Powercab 112 before getting a FR-12, and i can vouch for that line: the Powercab sounds fantastic, and it's built like a freaking tank.

Hiss issues aside, the FR-12 sounds great too, and it's both lighter and slightly more compact. I also never really cared for the PC's speaker simulation thing, and ran it exclusively in "FRFR" mode.

As far as I know, the Catalyst (and CX) are built around conventional 12" guitar speakers, so they're not going to be significantly better for "FR" audio than any other combo amp with an FX loop would be.

Eh? You've not heard an FR-12 or FR-10 in real life yet with your modeller have you?

Or did you go and demo one after all?
No i have not cause No reason too really, the Powercabs deliver exactly what I like
as I mentioned I dont Know what ""A-I-T-R"" is or if it's even better for me? I like tones Like what I hear on the Records I love and i can get all that with my FM9 and 2 Powercabs in stereo
Not saying the Fenders are not great, just dont see a need to change
YMMV

:guiness

I had a Powercab 112 before getting a FR-12, and i can vouch for that line: the Powercab sounds fantastic, and it's built like a freaking tank.

Hiss issues aside, the FR-12 sounds great too, and it's both lighter and slightly more compact. I also never really cared for the PC's speaker simulation thing, and ran it exclusively in ""FRFR"" mode.
Its how I use it never even tried the speaker simulations

As far as I know, the Catalyst (and CX) are built around conventional 12" guitar speakers, so they're not going to be significantly better for "FR" audio than any other combo amp with an FX loop would be.
The Catalyst is definitely not flat. It’s a guitar cab and speaker. It happens to play really nicely with digital models because that was its original intention.

Although I understand where you are coming from, I disagree. Cat Speakers were designed to accommodate multiple amp voicings, so they will be closer to a "FRFR" speaker than other combo amps that have or trying to have that one sound. Fender tries to sound like Fender, Marshall like Marshall, etc. Cat speakers were made to be more neutral in voicing with out the treble highs that most "FRFR" players turn off anyway especially at high volumes where the highs can get spikey.

I tried multiple SS combo amps before I bought my Cat 200 and noticed this. Have you spent any time with one other than just 10-15 min at a guitar store? I'm not saying it is going to be better than "FRFR", but I think it will be better than a lot of combo amps out there with speakers you can buy off the street.

Although I understand where you are coming from, I disagree. Cat Speakers were designed to accommodate multiple amp voicings, so they will be closer to a ""FRFR"" speaker than other combo amps that have or trying to have that one sound. Fender tries to sound like Fender, Marshall like Marshall, etc. Cat speakers were made to be more neutral in voicing with out the treble highs that most ""FRFR"" players turn off anyway especially at high volumes where the highs can get spikey.

I tried multiple SS combo amps before I bought my Cat 200 and noticed this. Have you spent any time with one other than just 10-15 min at a guitar store? I'm not saying it is going to be better than ""FRFR"", but I think it will be better than a lot of combo amps out there with speakers you can buy off the street.
I understand all of this. Hence the "significantly" qualifier in the post you quoted. Yes, the Cat's speaker and cabinet should be slightly more neutral than many conventional guitar cabs, but it won't be any better for actual full range program material (backing tracks, vocals, etc.)

Last edited:
I understand all of this. Hence the "significantly" qualifier in the post you quoted. Yes, the Cat's speaker and cabinet should be slightly more neutral than many conventional guitar cabs, but it won't be any better for actual full range program material (backing tracks, vocals, etc.)
Right on! Did not even think about vocals, backing tracks, etc. Makes perfect sense!!

Right on! Did not even think about vocals, backing tracks, etc. Makes perfect sense!!
To be fair, the vast majority of us are just looking for something that will sound "good" (whatever that means) if we plug our amp modeler/ multi-FX into the FX return. But I know a few people mentioned vocals, etc. in this thread, and I'm always looking for a better way to get trumpets etc. out of the same cab as my guitar tones. (If I'd said "flutes" instead of "trumpets", I could have made a joke about this being a "pipe dream" LOL.)

Y'all thanks for the many replies!

Just to shout out, despite the FR12 great reviews, it isn't totally "FRFR" either, or? It's at least what I read about it....

For me, the FR12 oder the Cat CX will be used mainly as monitor on stage. Helix will go FOH, like always

Y'all thanks for the many replies!

Just to shout out, despite the FR12 great reviews, it isn't totally ""FRFR"" either, or? It's at least what I read about it....

For me, the FR12 oder the Cat CX will be used mainly as monitor on stage. Helix will go FOH, like always
No one speaker cabinet is "FRFR" in the true sense. The term "FRFR" is just overused in marketing a PA speaker to a guitarist.

No one speaker cabinet is ""FRFR"" in the true sense. The term ""FRFR"" is just overused in marketing a PA speaker to a guitarist.

+1. "FRFR" is only meaningful within the context of use.

For example, the FR-10/12 is relatively flat and full range for guitars, but has a steep cutoff at ~40Hz, so it will sound like crap for bass.

Back