Electra-Dyne incoming.

And GOBS of volume... Did I mention it needs VOLUME?
That's my wake up (as in "don't wake up the wife and kid") call. I don't want one anymore.

Your subsequent posts have nailed my "modeling poser" coffin shut. Again.

Seriously, though - sorry you're having a hard time, and I hope you get it sorted out without throwing too much time/ money at it.

That's my wake up (as in "don't wake up the wife and kid") call. I don't want one anymore.

Your subsequent posts have nailed my "modeling poser" coffin shut. Again.

Seriously, though - sorry you're having a hard time, and I hope you get it sorted out without throwing too much time/ money at it.
I'm not going to let it "push me away" completely. These things happen. Irritating thing is I love both of my Boogies but they both have an issue at the moment and so it does give me a bit of pause as to what i want to do "next". I will say 90w mode with this through my 412 was completely Godlike. So there's that. I am not sure how that pertains to my actual "needs" or helps in helping me make a decision :unsure: :oops:

(Unless you knew of them ahead of time and bought knowing what you were getting into).
I don't mind tinkering, but yes: I'd need to know ahead of time that that's what I was buying into, and at a (vastly reduced) price that reflected as much. (No idea what JT paid for this amp.)

Also curious about the decision to buy the ED right on the tails of the Badlander, and how one compares/ contrasts with the other. Is all that buried earlier in this thread?

I don't mind tinkering, but yes: I'd need to know ahead of time that that's what I was buying into, and at a (vastly reduced) price that reflected as much. (No idea what JT paid for this amp.)

Also curious about the decision to buy the ED right on the tails of the Badlander, and how one compares/ contrasts with the other. Is all that buried earlier in this thread?
The Electra seems a lot more picky on speaker choice. On the limited amount of time it was up running full speed. It shared the BL vibe in so much as I felt you could crank every control (other than the bass on the Electra) and it can sound killer. So there's that.

The initial idea was to have another similar-ish Boogie amp, "single channel" that would fit my 112 stack and could stay in the loading zone. I will say the Electra is less gainy, but more punchy.

I'm not going to let it "push me away" completely. These things happen. Irritating thing is I love both of my Boogies but they both have an issue at the moment and so it does give me a bit of pause as to what i want to do "next". I will say 90w mode with this through my 412 was completely Godlike. So there's that. I am not sure how that pertains to my actual "needs" or helps in helping me make a decision :unsure: :oops:
Devil's advocate wonders: what percentage of the "Godlike" is the cabinet and just gobs of power amplification? In other words, could Fractal (or, gulp, whatever) into the right power amp into your 4x12 deliver the same, without the tube hassles?

It's been so long since I've had a big, high gain tube amp, I honestly don't know anymore.

Devil's advocate wonders: what percentage of the "Godlike" is the cabinet and just gobs of power amplification? In other words, could Fractal (or, gulp, whatever) into the right power amp into your 4x12 deliver the same, without the tube hassles?

It's been so long since I've had a big, high gain tube amp, I honestly don't know anymore.
On your own; I feel like a guitar cab is the differentiator. I stopped looking for the "right" power amp a long time ago. In the band mix; I feel like it's the (entire) amp itself making a difference. Alongside traditional guitar cabinets (even though they are loaded with the F12s and running IRs).

@Deadpan I'm going to try testing the clean channel out and see if the eq controls work there. If they do; I will move to the gain channels and do some preamp tube swapping to see if that fixes the issue. If there is still a problem there or if the clean channel itself isn't working; that would point me towards power tubes at the least and I will probably take that moment to bow out.

Just take your tubes out and walk on down to the local 7-Eleven and use their TV tube tester… Oops it’s not 1975 anymore. Well, it will be soon enough lol.
GIF by Ben Tuber

Bet Episode 82 GIF by Soul Train

Man, what a drag you're having issues with the Dyne, @JiveTurkey . It does kind of come with the territory with used tube amps, as you know. I always factor in a full power tube replacement + tech tune up when buying any used amp... after that I've never had an issue with one.

@Deadpan I'm going to try testing the clean channel out and see if the eq controls work there. If they do; I will move to the gain channels and do some preamp tube swapping to see if that fixes the issue. If there is still a problem there or if the clean channel itself isn't working; that would point me towards power tubes at the least and I will probably take that moment to bow out.
If all channels are effected check also the phase inverter tube.

Mercury must be in Retrograde. :LOL:

If it was shipped, shit can get jostled around even with the best packing.

If it was raining when it arrived then moisture/condensation could have
seeped in someplace, and impacted the amp.

Too bad you don't have a whacked out tube amp buddy close by who has
sniffed too much solder over the course of his lifetime. Those fuckers are
a bit batshit crazy, but nice to have in a pinch.

Good luck, JT!

Mercury must be in Retrograde. :LOL:

If it was shipped, s**t can get jostled around even with the best packing.

If it was raining when it arrived then moisture/condensation could have
seeped in someplace, and impacted the amp.

Too bad you don't have a whacked out tube amp buddy close by who has
sniffed too much solder over the course of his lifetime. Those *****ers are
a bit batshit crazy, but nice to have in a pinch.

Good luck, JT!
2 of the preamp tube covers came off and were sticking to the speaker magnet. I reseated those tubes already. I have it out in the open so fingers crossed an easy fix does the trick. :bag

Here's a question. @TubeStack or @Deadpan . If you are using the fx return as an input; is the Master control not active? I plugged my Stomp through the return and the Master control did nothing iirc. Which doesn't make sense to me.

Back