Electra-Dyne incoming.

You will have pubes but your left ball may ascend into you lower intestine never be to proud to ask for a dolly
Hey guy, been there, done that. Twice. I should be the first guy in line for those wimpy class D amps. But there ain’t no displacement for replacement. Or something.

Pumping Iron Fitness GIF

Sorry for all the posts, but I am an Electra Dyne maniac/nerd and can't help it. :)

And now I"m going to be "that guy" and quote the manual on the single channel thing:

"While the Electra Dyne appears to most as a simple Single Channel amp, the sparse Front Panel layout hides a vault of circuitry that gives you the power and performance of a Three Channel footswitching amplifier. The three Modes found on the Mode Select mini toggle are each completely separate preamps. They share some of the same tube stages but the signal path and circuitry changes radically when you change from mode to mode."

And not sure if you're aware, but the controls are "ganged" and modify a different range for each channel, which helps with the whole shared-control thing:

"The Electra Dyne ushers in a new era of powerful gig-ability combined with interface simplicity by using ganged (stacked element) pots so that one row of controls can adjust more than one circuit. Custom designed tapers on these pots allow a surprising amount of independence between the Modes. Though there will likely be some settings that create compromises on one or more of the sounds for some – with the controls set in their medium ranges - most players discover a high degree of success switching across the Modes in performance situations."

Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office
Dammit. Now I want one. :(

So pulled it from the shell and did some measuring. And more playing. This thing NEEDS the right speaker. And GOBS of volume. From what I am seeing; speaker choice is very important. Did I mention it needs VOLUME?

When these stars align, though :satan

And

Now

Just like "that"

It's severely reduced in gain. Zero bass with the bass control on 10. Cables and power cords are all fine. Tubes aren't making any microphonic noises or really anything suspect beyond controls suddenly not really responding as they should.

Hmmmm.

Bummer! I bet its the Power tubes. They won't squeal or hiss like preamp tubes. You'll just lose
all of your juice. ... ooomph...
Yeah suddenly there was zero punch. I don't have spare tubes for testing or replacement. I am not sure I want to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Guitar Center arguing my point either.

Hmmmmm.

Ah man, that sucks!

Although I will say, any used amp I've bought, I've replaced the power tubes.

But it definitely sucks having it happen when you're just starting to play around with it. :(

A big thing that Eurotubes really pushes whenever you have amp troubles, is to remove your tubes, spray the pins with some contact cleaner appropriate for electrical components, and works the tube pins back into the slots. They claim this can fix a good percentage of issues. Pins develop little bits of corrosion over time..., a pin isn't making a good connection, whatever. I'd try that and see.

Ugh.

Tested different speaker and guitar cables and cabinets. With the BL beside it to know what I was swapping out was in working order.

I am kind of torn. I know tubes are an expected maintenance cost. But right out of the gate? Ugh. I know it's a used amp and you are going to have that. Problem is; I don't have a quad of 6l6s to test. Or any preamp tubes beyond the stock turds I pulled out of that Bugera 15 years ago :rofl

I could figure out what 45w mode socket pair it uses and put the BL tubes in it for testing but I don't want to dismantle it (and somehow introduce some more trouble into it's mix). When I last checked, Mesa was out of stock on a bunch of tubes and were telling me they were reserving parts for production amps vs pieces for legacy items.

So I am knowingly out the money for a rack kit which I found a cheaper alternative for and I am perfectly fine with that. But now have to grab a quad of 6l6s on top of that and hope that's the only issue. Ehhh. It's got another day of me futzing with it before I bite the bullet and put it back in the box mentally and ready it for it's drive back home on Saturday afternoon :hmm

It’s one thing if you’ve had it for a while, and this happens, then you are forced to deal with it. But if it’s in a return window, I would be inclined to return it and try again. It’s never fun dealing with issues with a brand new purchase, used or not. (Unless you knew of them ahead of time and bought knowing what you were getting into).

But that’s just me. Some people like to trouble shoot and tinker. I do not.

It’s one thing if you’ve had it for a while, and this happens, then you are forced to deal with it. But if it’s in a return window, I would be inclined to return it and try again. It’s never fun dealing with issues with a brand new purchase, used or not. (Unless you knew of them ahead of time and bought knowing what you were getting into).

But that’s just me. Some people like to trouble shoot and tinker. I do not.
I'm with you, FP. The rack case tinkering was known to me in advance. The tube failure (if that's even the issue?) after probably an hour of playing tops was certainly not.

Back