Electra-Dyne incoming.

Bummer. :(

The ED is really just a great single channel amp (with the modes being footswitchable).
Blue and guitar volume, with maybe a boost in front, and some juicy bits in the loop is
where I lived. Red was a bit too saturated for me and not as responsive to guitar volume
interaction.
Look forward to more of your thoughts and experiences, JT. Have fun! :beer

They didn't ship a footswitch with it. I am going to futz with my boss switches and see if a pair of those and a TRS will do the trick.

Ah, that sucks re. the footswitch. :(

However, most find it annoying anyway, in that it's two switches for three channels/modes. One switch for Clean, while the other switch toggles Lo/Hi, so if you go from Clean to Lo/Hi with the second switch, it's on whatever was the last one you were using, which might not be what you want.

Was never an issue for me, as I only use Clean or blue/Lo. Also, I moved to switching with my HXFX/Stomp/FM9 and Suhr Micro MIDI.

Was never an issue for me, as I only use Clean or blue/Lo. Also, I moved to switching with my HXFX/Stomp/FM9 and Suhr Micro MIDI.

I should add, it was still a bit annoying with the Suhr Micro MIDI, because I could go from clean to blue, or clean to red, but not blue to red. At least I couldn't figure it out, not sure if it's possible or not. But again, I don't love red, so it wasn't a huge problem.

I'm futzing with switches for really no reason. I would at most go from lo/hi. That 90watt mode is :satan

Yeah, 90W Simul Class is a beast! Just utterly massive sounding.

Also just remembered: for 45W, try it at 4ohm into an 8 ohm cab. Sounds and feels better for some reason, like it's a closer match or something. While Mesa doesn't mention it in the Dyne manual, they mention it in the Badlander manual and a few other ones. This is what I do at home.

Sorry for all the posts, but I am an Electra Dyne maniac/nerd and can't help it. :)

And now I"m going to be "that guy" and quote the manual on the single channel thing:

"While the Electra Dyne appears to most as a simple Single Channel amp, the sparse Front Panel layout hides a vault of circuitry that gives you the power and performance of a Three Channel footswitching amplifier. The three Modes found on the Mode Select mini toggle are each completely separate preamps. They share some of the same tube stages but the signal path and circuitry changes radically when you change from mode to mode."

And not sure if you're aware, but the controls are "ganged" and modify a different range for each channel, which helps with the whole shared-control thing:

"The Electra Dyne ushers in a new era of powerful gig-ability combined with interface simplicity by using ganged (stacked element) pots so that one row of controls can adjust more than one circuit. Custom designed tapers on these pots allow a surprising amount of independence between the Modes. Though there will likely be some settings that create compromises on one or more of the sounds for some – with the controls set in their medium ranges - most players discover a high degree of success switching across the Modes in performance situations."

Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

Back