Do you Floyd?

Can confirm those Wilkinson locking saddles are awesome. I have a set for my Gotoh 510 and they worked super well. I eventually put the original bent-steel saddles back on because they sounded better to me. 😅

Any floating trem and even a Bigsby does this so I don't count it as an issue. It's like the always tune UP to pitch rule for guitars without a locking nut.

Exactly. I don’t have a Floyd, but when I read that I thought “that’s how I tune my Gretsch or my strat, otherwise it takes forever to tune.”

I’m Floyd curious….

D

Any floating trem and even a Bigsby does this so I don't count it as an issue. It's like the always tune UP to pitch rule for guitars without a locking nut.

This is a never talked about advantage of locking nut systems, that you can actually tune down to a pitch, and it'll be fine! People tend only to think of the parts that are a pain in the ass when you're unfamiliar with the system, but you're totally right, any floating trem, locking or just synchronized, will have to be balanced, but once you're in balance, if you don't change string brands or gauges, it's really not a high maintenance thing.

Another huge advantage of Floyds and 1996t's? You can keep the nut locked, remove the baseplate from the studs, work on your guitar (like maybe swap pickups or shield it or what have you...) reseat the baseplate to the studs, and you're just back to being in tune. It's marvelous. You definitely cannot do that without a locking nut.

This is a never talked about advantage of locking nut systems, that you can actually tune down to a pitch, and it'll be fine! People tend only to think of the parts that are a pain in the ass when you're unfamiliar with the system, but you're totally right, any floating trem, locking or just synchronized, will have to be balanced, but once you're in balance, if you don't change string brands or gauges, it's really not a high maintenance thing.

Another huge advantage of Floyds and 1996t's? You can keep the nut locked, remove the baseplate from the studs, work on your guitar (like maybe swap pickups or shield it or what have you...) reseat the baseplate to the studs, and you're just back to being in tune. It's marvelous. You definitely cannot do that without a locking nut.
I remove necks the same way and you'r still in tune afterwards.

And fwiw, as said in another thread already: I never had issues with my FR equipped guitar (an old Ibanez Sabre), but Ibanez' version defenitely helps (apart from the stupid nylon rings to fix the arm that always wear out when you don't have replacements). Only reason why I'm not using that guitar much anymore is because the vibrato action is too extreme (due to the studs being further away from the saddles, compared to most non locking vibratos).

This thread broke a string and now it is entirely out of tune and unplayable the remainder of the song.

Be patient, though. It'll be back up and running in 10 to 15. :LOL:

This is exactly why they never should've discontinued the fucking Speedloader! I would be in the middle of rehearsal, and I'm not exaggerating, I was back up and running in twenty seconds.

But also, I think ten to fifteen minutes is hyperbolic, dude. If you're not changing brands or gauge, you can be back up very very quickly, even with quick stretching.

My most obscure Floyd 😋
IMG_0840.jpeg

I liked the holders on the back of the headstocks on some brands----until you forgot to put them
back in there when you were done. :facepalm

episode 9 search GIF
Me: "I'll just set it here for now, since I'm going to use it again shortly." (As I think of changing the strings on another guitar.)
Little voice: "NOOO!! Put it back where it belongs. It'll take all of 3 seconds!"

Ignores little voice. Proceeds to play for 2 hours.

2 days later... "*^#& Where's that fucking Allen wrench?!!"

Me: "I'll just set it here for now, since I'm going to use it again shortly." (As I think of changing the strings on another guitar.)
Little voice: "NOOO!! Put it back where it belongs. It'll take all of 3 seconds!"

Ignores little voice. Proceeds to play for 2 hours.

2 days later... "*^#& Where's that fucking Allen wrench?!!"
The Fender floyd I posted above have a genius feature, built in allen wrench in the arm!

1691179171308.png

But its a fender product Overpriced Under performing and the Allen head will strip off after only 2 Uses :rofl

Back