Do you Floyd?

Wait, so you wimps can't even deal with a decked Floyd now? My goodness.

I "mastered" the Floyd at like 15 years old, and I have no trade skills to speak of. It's not that hard. Springs. How do they work?

Springs are nonlinear…lol

homer simpson episode 20 GIF

I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose trem. It's fine, it does what it does well. It's a bit of a pain in the ass if you need to do anything but tune it with fine tuners.

It amazes me that in all these years nobody has made a truly better one.

I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose trem. It's fine, it does what it does well. It's a bit of a pain in the ass if you need to do anything but tune it with fine tuners.

It amazes me that in all these years nobody has made a truly better one.
Why because the floyd actually nails the problems as simply as possible. For the bridge to be double locking the fine tuner must not do anything more than the floyd's does. The important thing with a Floyd set up is it must lock down without changing pitch and then if you set the fine tuners at 2/3s out you will have plenty of scope for stretched strings going flat. Also stretch before you lock and you won't need a hex key until you swap strings. The tuners on the 1996 are better than the ones on the OFR if you haven't tried one.

A floating and fixed? do you mean non functioning and blocked or am I missing something?
Right, non-functioning, wood blocked, not moving, fixed.
I just hated that I cannot tune the guitar in seconds.

One of the more recent solutions to quicken the tuning process is keyless nut locks but it still takes an hour to tune the damn thing.
It also looks ugly..

3db721d0129b68644016f6d6f4eb61a2_600x600_fill.jpg

Another thing I hate about floyd rose is small day to day humidity and temperature change (air conditioner, etc.) become a pain in the ass despite having fine tuners on the bridge, that's a non issue with normal guitars.

Why because the floyd actually nails the problems as simply as possible. For the bridge to be double locking the fine tuner must not do anything more than the floyd's does. The important thing with a Floyd set up is it must lock down without changing pitch and then if you set the fine tuners at 2/3s out you will have plenty of scope for stretched strings going flat. Also stretch before you lock and you won't need a hex key until you swap strings. The tuners on the 1996 are better than the ones on the OFR if you haven't tried one.
It has a lot of parts and the locking nut can only be described as inconvenient.

I love the EVH Wolfgang but man do I hate dealing with a Floyd Rose :mad:
I don't have any more of an issue with a Floyd than I do any other fulcrum bridge. To float or not to float is the bigger issue -- in my climate I need to setup my guitars a few times a year due to wood movement, which I don't mind on fixed/tightly-decked bridges, adding in bridge float to the mix just makes it too much of a headache to keep well-tuned.

I think people only have issues because they either can’t set up the floyd correctly or the bridge is a poor quality licensed unit and will have issues.
This for me Setting up is def not my thing :( and most FR are either the 1000 series or a special (Utter crap)

Bought a Kramer Focus 3000 in the late 80's with an OG Floyd. There was a learning curve for sure. But damn, I could not make that thing go out of tune. Believe me, I tried. ;) It was an odd ball. Shell pink. I've never seen another one like it. The store I bought it from said it was likely a custom color order that for whatever reason got put into general stock. I wanted the red one or the black. But the shell pink one was a clearly superior guitar.
A few years later I started playing in a country band, so I blocked it, put in a set of Lace Gold's, and it was my main axe for a couple years until I got a '93 AM Std Strat. Those late '80's Kramers from Japan were solid guitars.

Right, non-functioning, wood blocked, not moving, fixed.
I just hated that I cannot tune the guitar in seconds.

One of the more recent solutions to quicken the tuning process is keyless nut locks but it still takes an hour to tune the damn thing.
It also looks ugly..

3db721d0129b68644016f6d6f4eb61a2_600x600_fill.jpg
I have those on two of my Ibby's and they work perfectly and doesn't stick out as much as it can seem on pictures. :
TV.PNG

I think people only have issues because they either can’t set up the floyd correctly or the bridge is a poor quality licensed unit and will have issues.
Even on quality units like the OFR or Ibanez Edge, I've had issues with worn knife edges, the little blocks that press against the strings going missing etc. While some of that is regular wear and tear, Floyds tend to be more troublesome even when you know how to work with them.

And let's not forget that on most models you need extra tools for comfortable intonation adjustment. Then most models still have the fine tuners sticking out a fair bit compared to the low profile models.

For the record mine works just fine, I can setup it to work fine, but it doesn't mean I like working with it.

Back