Do you Floyd?

I have those on two of my Ibby's and they work perfectly and doesn't stick out as much as it can seem on pictures. :
tv-png.9465
That Pia!

beavis-and-butt-head-boing.gif

Another thing I hate about floyd rose is small day to day humidity and temperature change (air conditioner, etc.) become a pain in the ass despite having fine tuners on the bridge, that's a non issue with normal guitars.

Set it up right and the fine tuners cover it all and it stays in tune. You can’t blame the Floyd for an unstable neck.
Actually, James is correct, I'm a "Floyd veteran", BUT, that DOES happen, where I'll take my guitar out of my air conditioned house, put it in the air conditioned, car, take it to a gig, outside, where it's 80 and humid, and they do go out. That's on more than one of them, and my stoptail guitars do the same thing, so . . .

Actually, James is correct, I'm a "Floyd veteran", BUT, that DOES happen, where I'll take my guitar out of my air conditioned house, put it in the air conditioned, car, take it to a gig, outside, where it's 80 and humid, and they do go out. That's on more than one of them, and my stoptail guitars do the same thing, so . . .
Yes it happens but its the neck not the floyd that's moving( see your own post.)

I like Floyds. Not my favorite trem but they do what they do well. If you need something that can do subtle vibrato to extreme bombs, there’s nothing better. The setup is pretty easy once you’re used to it. It does require some patience. Both my Floyd’s float. I adjust my playing/picking technique and compensate.

I love the EVH Wolfgang but man do I hate dealing with a Floyd Rose :mad:

hello kitty GIF

Wait, so you wimps can't even deal with a decked Floyd now? My goodness.

I "mastered" the Floyd at like 15 years old, and I have no trade skills to speak of. It's not that hard. Springs. How do they work?

This is the way! To figure it out by yourself. At 15, when there was no internet, no instruction books or videos, no friends to consult, and no music store at your village :clint
Sport Swag GIF by The World's Strongest Man

Two point tremolos can be very effective. Something like the original no fine tuner Floyd where the strings come up through the block like a vintage trem, and then an allen screw to lock them down.

Locking tuners work like a charm.

Where the evolution needs to take place is a frictionless nut that's better than the one Fender used to use, and doesn't sound like ass.

I’ve always loved the tuning stability on them once they are set up properly. String changes are a bit more time consuming but in the end it’s worth it to me…👍🏻

hello kitty GIF

This is the way! To figure it out by yourself. At 15, when there was no internet, no instruction books or videos, no friends to consult, and no music store at your village :clint
Sport Swag GIF by The World's Strongest Man's Strongest Man

Indeed.

I was 15 when I brought my JEM home and immediately removed all the strings then started stringing it back up with 10’s. My only previous trem experience was decking a MIM Strat’s trem. I remember almost crying at the kitchen table when the bridge jacked way up due to going from 9’s to 10’s. I didn’t even get to plug the thing in yet. I had no choice but to sit there and figure it out if I wanted to play it. I know it was around noon when I had started and it was dark when I finally brought it to my room to plug it in.

Now I enjoy doing it, it’s like getting into a fight with physics and coming to a mutual understanding when it’s resolved. :rofl

I spend all day (when I'm not here :bag :rofl ) fixing things. From the moment my eyelids crack open really till they shut. The Floyd is for me (duh) absolutely infuriating and the exact kind of thing I want to avoid doing when I am not supposed to be figuring out how things work and fixing them :nails:cry::annoying

Two point tremolos can be very effective. Something like the original no fine tuner Floyd where the strings come up through the block like a vintage trem, and then an allen screw to lock them down.

Locking tuners work like a charm.

Where the evolution needs to take place is a frictionless nut that's better than the one Fender used to use, and doesn't sound like ass.
5CFB1B87-896C-4B8A-8486-87F75C184DAE.jpeg

Solved 33 years ago.
Knife edge nut perfect contact point and no friction on the string, works perfectly.
Steinberger GS.

I haven't used a Floyd style in a long time. I'm more about Holdsworth than Van Halen with the bar these days. This was my last which would have been at least a dozen years ago.

1937156_1243755057217_6088279_n.jpg

There are some things that become second nature.

E.g.: when you grab the guitar from the wall and start tuning with the micro-tuners, if you note that both the 6th and the 5th need to be adjusted up or down, you stop looking at the tuner and proceed to quickly twist all the micro-tuners at once up or down proportionally (including the 6th and the 5th again). Because you know that temperature/humidity has displaced all the strings. When you go back to use the tuner, all strings are almost perfectly tuned and only require a very small touch. That method doesn't take more time to tune than a hardtail bridge. With experience, you guess how much you have to twist all the micro-tuners at once, depending on the deviation of the first couple of strings that you check.

If you don't do that, you tune 6th, 5th, 4rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st... and when you verify the 6th again, it is out of tune because the whole trem-block has been displaced. Then you have to start the re-tuning process again. Sometimes more than 3 or 4 times. That must be very frustrating for the ones that are not used to it.

And when the micro-tuners are close to the end of twists, you do not unblock all the locking nuts at once; you adjust them one by one. And leave the micro-tuners a bit close to the higher position rather than at the middle, because they tend to need more adjustments clockise than anti-clockwise.

Last edited:
There are some things that become second nature.

E.g.: when you grab the guitar from the wall and start tuning with the micro-tuners, if you note that both the 6th and the 5th need to be adjusted up or down, you stop looking at the tuner and proceed to twist all the micro-tuners at once up or down proportionally (including the 6th and the 5th again). Because you know that temperature/humidity have displaced all the strings. When you go back to use the tuner, all strings are almost perfectly tuned and only require a very small touch. That method doesn't take more time to tune than a hardtail bridge. With experience, you guess how much you have to twist all the micro-tuners at once, depending on the deviation of the first couple of strings that you check.

If you don't do that, you tune 6th, 5th, 4rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st... and when you verify the 6th again, it is out of tune because the whole trem-block has been displaced. Then you have to start the re-tuning process again. Sometimes more than 2 or 3 times. That must be very frustrating for the ones that are not used to it.

And when the micro-tuners are close to the end of twists, you do not unblock all the locking nuts at once; you adjust them one by one, leaving the mico-tuners a bit close to the higher position rather than at the middle.
Any floating trem and even a Bigsby does this so I don't count it as an issue. It's like the always tune UP to pitch rule for guitars without a locking nut.

Back