Boss IR-2 - Very compact amp/cab sim pedal

Well, I don't think we could make ours as small as the IR-2, and we'd probably need an LCD of some sort, because there's no way the professional/prosumer modeling space would be happy with our amp choices on a stepped encoder. Which means ours would cost more too. And I'm fairly hardcore on full-size MIDI DIN jacks, so that blows up the footprint even more.

IMO you could do a no frills Catalyst pedal (ok, maybe add 1-2 of the most loved additional models). Alternatively, let the user add 2-3 models pre-selected in the editor. The rest could be pretty much Boss-alike, as in exposing the most relevant parameters with anything advanced requiring the editor.
All that would be pretty much like an Amplifirebox on stereoids, a concept I personally really like, especially in case you could use it straight from the start without ever even connecting the device to your computer.

Anyhow, as long as I can see so far, if you were to come out with such a box, you'd blow the competition away because of the sound quality. Maybe the IR-2 needs some more tweaking, no idea, but from all I heard so far, it doesn't hold a candle against the Line 6 amps - which actually is a pity, as otherwise it'd be a pretty instant buy.

IMO you could do a no frills Catalyst pedal (ok, maybe add 1-2 of the most loved additional models). Alternatively, let the user add 2-3 models pre-selected in the editor. The rest could be pretty much Boss-alike, as in exposing the most relevant parameters with anything advanced requiring the editor.
All that would be pretty much like an Amplifirebox on stereoids, a concept I personally really like, especially in case you could use it straight from the start without ever even connecting the device to your computer.

Anyhow, as long as I can see so far, if you were to come out with such a box, you'd blow the competition away because of the sound quality. Maybe the IR-2 needs some more tweaking, no idea, but from all I heard so far, it doesn't hold a candle against the Line 6 amps - which actually is a pity, as otherwise it'd be a pretty instant buy.
Meh, I think something like the HX One is as small and "bare bones" as they would go, I mean, it's not much more than an IR-2, and if you could just do amp modeling in something like that with no effects, or just reverbs, in that same format and price range, I'd buy that over the BOSS 8 ways to Sunday.

Missed that so far. Wow! That's opening up quite some more options (such as running a powerbank driven pedalboard for maaaany hours).
Even standalone, these days you can buy extremely high capacity 9V batteries that recharge over micro USB or USB C cable. When these came to market it opened up all kinds of nerdy adventures for me. :D

Leo Gibson's video also implies that the pedal is USB bus-powered as I'd hoped. He doesn't come right out and say so, but the image describing standalone headphone use explicitly includes a wall wart, whereas the OTG recording setup with laptop does not. So, cautiously optimistic?

Meh, I think something like the HX One is as small and "bare bones" as they would go, I mean, it's not much more than an IR-2, and if you could just do amp modeling in something like that with no effects, or just reverbs, in that same format and price range, I'd buy that over the BOSS 8 ways to Sunday.
Let's say we announced a $349 HX Amps in six months. (No way for us to make it $299 with the headphone amp, IR loader, stereo effects loop, extra UI affordance, etc.) The very first thing people will say is "What is Line 6 smoking?! I can find a used HX Stomp for $500!" :mad:

The struggle is real... :D

So much activity, so little time. This thing is jam packed. And worth the money, despite my quibbles with the amp models at the pricepoint it's at. Going from the FAS Recto/Boogie collection to the Boss equivalent is going to be a HARD PASS; bang for the buck for not.

Well, my pet peeve is controls. Exposed controls. The HX One has 3 vs. 6 on the Boss (ok, 5 amp controls, which is what's important for me). And for what I'm usually doing, that makes up for quite a difference.

as good if not better then joe sat to me-plays with more emotion: maybe cause he is italian?
I'm not qualified to judge. I'm not even convinced "as good as" or "better than" are meaningful assessments at this stage in a player's development. They're just... different.

As for Leo's being Italian... that would be a wash vs. Satriani, no? Or does Italian-American not count? :D

Let's say we announced a $349 HX Amps in six months. (No way for us to make it $299 with the headphone amp, IR loader, stereo effects loop, extra UI affordance, etc.) The very first thing people will say is "What is Line 6 smoking?! I can find a used HX Stomp for $500!" :mad:

The struggle is real... :D

I dunno. There's such a thing as "too small". The IR2 is an interesting curiosity, but I think the HX Stomp is just right the right balance of display, controls, and size for anybody who wants something that slips into their pedal board.

I think the HX Stomp is just right the right balance of display, controls, and size for anybody who wants something that slips into their pedal board.
I won't argue with that. But... it's also more than 3x the price of the IR-2. There are a couple of different niches here.

I hope Fractal will see this as they saw the TMP gapless switching and conv spring reverb.
Take It Personally Michael Jordan GIF

Back