Boss IR-2 - Very compact amp/cab sim pedal

BOSS really show their strong suit with stuff like this. Yeah there's stuff that might sound a bit better, but it's way more expensive. Yeah there's stuff that's cheaper, but it's nowhere near as durable or accessible.
Just watched your demo :love

I said out loud, "oh Leon has his video up", and fiancee goes, "who's Leon?" then I said, "this guy from down under", lol.

I have an Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact that is screaming 'Put me back in the game Coach!'
Slap something like an HX One or an H9 Max on the other end of the board, grab your iPad and hit the road like a modern 'Rolling truck Stones thing'!
Truth.

I'd say if I were getting tired of whatever flyrig I was using, or DIDN'T already own a Stomp XL, and wanted to build something, I would definitely consider starting here.

I still might get one for the trunk of the car, anyway. Sounds WAY better than my Flamma preamp pedal that currently fills that duty.

Hm, just watched Leon's video. Sounds don't impress me much (which is absolutely not Leon's fault), so it'd have to serve as a pedal platform for me. Wondering whether it's doing that well.

So wait, you can fit an effects loop on a compact pedal, and a headphone jack? Does Universal Audio know? Having used the IR-200, I'm sure the UA does a better job modeling, but it'd be lovely if they took a look at what BOSS has done, and made the same changes.
So how is the IR-200? Rabea Massaad's demo with 3rd party IRs sounded pretty good to me.

There's someone selling one used over here but it's not cheap enough to be a "hey I'll try it and flip it if I don't like it" buy like my Strymon Iridium purchase was. Especially since the IR-200 isn't very popular so it won't sell so easily.

Universal Audio has dug their heels in on the feature set so hard and will probably release a dozen more pedals by this time next year, until they run out of plugins to port I suppose. It's nuts that they can't see how much money they leave on the table with the feature set.

So how is the IR-200? Rabea Massaad's demo with 3rd party IRs sounded pretty good to me.

There's someone selling one used over here but it's not cheap enough to be a "hey I'll try it and flip it if I don't like it" buy like my Strymon Iridium purchase was. Especially since the IR-200 isn't very popular so it won't sell so easily.

Universal Audio has dug their heels in on the feature set so hard and will probably release a dozen more pedals by this time next year, until they run out of plugins to port I suppose. It's nuts that they can't see how much money they leave on the table with the feature set.
To be honest, I didn’t give it a fair shake. I’ve got to revisit it. As soon as I was irritated at the high gain stuff, I kinda dismissed it instead of spending more time with other models.

To be honest, I didn’t give it a fair shake. I’ve got to revisit it. As soon as I was irritated at the high gain stuff, I kinda dismissed it instead of spending more time with other models.
Watched Leon's IR-2 demo a moment ago and the Soldano and Recto models were definitely more like caricatures of those amps. Makes me wonder if just better IRs could salvage them. I'd probably be happy with the lower gain options boosted with a drive pedal - that gives good results with the Strymon Iridium as well.

I don't know what it is, but UA seems to be the only compact amp/cab sim maker who manages to have good stock IRs on them. The ones on the Strymon are ok, but I much prefer it with York Audio and ML Sound Lab stuff.

Watched Leon's IR-2 demo a moment ago and the Soldano and Recto models were definitely more like caricatures of those amps. Makes me wonder if just better IRs could salvage them. I'd probably be happy with the lower gain options boosted with a drive pedal - that gives good results with the Strymon Iridium as well.

I don't know what it is, but UA seems to be the only compact amp/cab sim maker who manages to have good stock IRs on them. The ones on the Strymon are ok, but I much prefer it with York Audio and ML Sound Lab stuff.
Yeah and SLO and Recto are my bread and peanut butter tones.

I told my wife he’s this Australian guy that calls me a legend.
Really milkin' this huh????

Wait What Sudden Realization GIF by Nick Jonas

Watched Leon's IR-2 demo a moment ago and the Soldano and Recto models were definitely more like caricatures of those amps.

Agreed. Pretty much everything driven seems to lack of some decent attack/tightness. Quite different from what I remember from my GT-1000 testride (borrowed one for a week or so, but that's quite a while ago).

Yeah, gotta say BOSS really nailed this one. Yet another reason for us to not make an HX Amps pedal.

Well, from what I've heard so far, at least the newer Line 6 amps seem to be a lot better. And I'm saying that as someone who a) actually seemed to like the GT-1000 amps and b) isn't interested much in anything truly authentic.
Also, considering that Leon usually nails all sorts of tones, it's making me wonder even more.

Well, from what I've heard so far, at least the newer Line 6 amps seem to be a lot better. And I'm saying that as someone who a) actually seemed to like the GT-1000 amps and b) isn't interested much in anything truly authentic.
Also, considering that Leon usually nails all sorts of tones, it's making me wonder even more.
Well, I don't think we could make ours as small as the IR-2, and we'd probably need an LCD of some sort, because there's no way the professional/prosumer modeling space would be happy with our amp choices on a stepped encoder. Which means ours would cost more too. And I'm fairly hardcore on full-size MIDI DIN jacks, so that blows up the footprint even more.

Really impressed with this one. BOSS did exactly what they should've here.

I said out loud, "oh Leon has his video up"...
Leo "If That Is Your Real Name" Gibson has a video up, too. I was only familiar with this guy as a TGF latency obsession meme. (And because a friend of mine does an uncanny impression of him LOL.) I had no idea he was such a monster player, as he displays in his demo song here.

"...9V and 160mA ...can be battery-powered, like any other BOSS pedal." :love

Last edited:
Back