Boss IR-2 - Very compact amp/cab sim pedal

$199.99 at Sweetwater. This does everything I bought the Two Notes C.A.B. M+ for at $100 less money. I like it.
They priced it directly in the "Why TF did I just buy that Mooer Prime thingy" range.

images

To be fair, the Mooer thingy is more of a practice solution, with battery power, effects, etc. But the BOSS looks to have the specs to serve as a proper audio interface (in addition to its more obvious application on a pedal board.)

It very certainly can. But as said, it's the same dilemma as with the Amplifirebox, the NUX Amp Academy and what not. Turn a knob and you never know where you are - so you might as well enjoy some brutal parameter jumps.

I see this as a more a set it and forget it type of pedal for those who want an amp in a box on a pedalboard or a backup. Pairing it with a GE-7 would be the perfect "global" EQ to tune it to the room at hand.

I love that the stomp switches between two channels, not just toggling it off and on.
The external footswitch input almost seems superfluous. Apparently you can configure the pedal's own footswitch to bypass completely, but I'm having a hard time imagining any use for that (unless there's some additional output switching that can be configured?)

I have thoughts but am about to head into a meeting. Initial litany of grievances. I might be wrong on some of them because I haven't had time to investigate really anything:
1. No gain switch or presence controls. Very "powerful" tone sculpting controls on the Boss amp models. Channel switching is cool I'd say.
2. I assume you can't use it as an IR player because Boss is dumb.
3. These GT-3 era legacy amp models HAVE TO GO. FFS this is the same regurgitated BS they have used forever. Upgrade converters but leave the same shit models in place. The X-series are fine on their own merit.

I'll watch some vids later today and follow back up :nails:hmm:rofl
Right right. So when does yours arrive in the mail?

UA: why pay for less for more when you can pay more for less.
Thing is, every clip I've heard of their pedals, I've liked. JFC, I have a friggin' ToneX cap of the Ruby that I really dig. They're like......so close to being a badass pedalboard amp platform.

I love what BOSS has done here. I just can't gel with their modeling. I've tried. So hard too.

Lol, of course, I'm trying to shoe-horn this into some kind of small rig or use for me, and nothing is coming to mind :rofl

Still very cool though.

Lol, of course, I'm trying to shoe-horn this into some kind of small rig or use for me, and nothing is coming to mind :rofl

Still very cool though.
I have an Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact that is screaming 'Put me back in the game Coach!'
Slap something like an HX One or an H9 Max on the other end of the board, grab your iPad and hit the road like a modern 'Rolling truck Stones thing'!

So wait, you can fit an effects loop on a compact pedal, and a headphone jack? Does Universal Audio know? Having used the IR-200, I'm sure the UA does a better job modeling, but it'd be lovely if they took a look at what BOSS has done, and made the same changes.

Yeah, so there’s no good reason why the UA enclosure couldn’t also include that stuff plus midi for presets…

D

Back