Boss IR-2 - Very compact amp/cab sim pedal

I dunno. There's such a thing as "too small". The IR2 is an interesting curiosity, but I think the HX Stomp is just right the right balance of display, controls, and size for anybody who wants something that slips into their pedal board.
The HX Stomp size is right but I disagree about the rest. The tiny display and 3 little knobs are something I don't like about it. 3 is generally the worst number for controls in something where the average block has many times that. Just one extra knob can make a big difference in the sheer amount of paging required.

So is the USB audio the thing you guys are finding compelling about this? There are a ton of small IR loaders on the mkt already right? I have a Mooer Radar as a 'just in case' kind of pedal...

Much bigger than that and I'd probably end up with another HX Stomp or similar unit.

So is the USB audio the thing you guys are finding compelling about this? There are a ton of small IR loaders on the mkt already right? I have a Mooer Radar as a 'just in case' kind of pedal...

Much bigger than that and I'd probably end up with another HX Stomp or similar unit.
GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

To me it's the whole package.
  • Affordable.
  • More amp models than most simple amp/cab sim pedals.
  • Stereo fx loop and I/O.
  • Very compact.
  • IR loader that is capable of much longer IRs than many cab sim products.
  • USB interface capabilities.
I'm not going to buy one because most likely the amp models would not do it for me, but I can see it being a very popular product. "Boss Katana" of amp/cab sim pedals if you will.

To me it's the whole package.
  • Affordable.
  • More amp models than most simple amp/cab sim pedals.
  • Stereo fx loop and I/O.
  • Very compact.
  • IR loader that is capable of much longer IRs than many cab sim products.
I'm not going to buy one because most likely the amp models would not do it for me, but I can see it being a very popular product. "Boss Katana" of amp/cab sim pedals if you will.
I've never flat out said it but I always love your takes @laxu. Always hitting the nail on the head.

What universe am I living in where JT tries a TMP but won't try this :wat
Some context with the Boss legacy amps and an experience from practice this very week. Used the Uber model in th SY1000 into the FR12. Sounds NOTHING like I have ever heard and Uber sound like. But it did great when factoring in the whole logistics of what I needed at the time (guitar and synth sounds, switchable with effects, that I can run direct into a monitor). What it didn't do is sound anything like the real amp. It sounded plastic af but was still a good playing experience. When I am being particular (and mostly what I look for in modeling) is amp models that SOUND LIKE THE REAL AMP. Boss is not good at this at all.
IR2 is the new QC. :rofl
It's not that bad!
Over It Rose GIF by HULU

Some context with the Boss legacy amps and an experience from practice this very week. Used the Uber model in th SY1000 into the FR12. Sounds NOTHING like I have ever heard and Uber sound like. But it did great when factoring in the whole logistics of what I needed at the time (guitar and synth sounds, switchable with effects, that I can run direct into a monitor). What it didn't do is sound anything like the real amp. It sounded plastic af but was still a good playing experience. When I am being particular (and mostly what I look for in modeling) is amp models that SOUND LIKE THE REAL AMP. Boss is not good at this at all.

It's not that bad!
Over It Rose GIF by HULU
Would you say that Boss' own custom models (X-something or whatever they are) are generally a better experience because you don't have any real world reference?

Boss is such a weird company. I have no idea if they design this stuff in the west or if it's mostly developed in Japan. Japan would explain a lot of their design choices because there's something very ass backwards about a lot of tech stuff coming from there - like it's high quality, high tech but stupid functionality all at the same time?

Would you say that Boss' own custom models (X-something or whatever they are) are generally a better experience because you don't have any real world reference?

Boss is such a weird company. I have no idea if they design this stuff in the west or if it's mostly developed in Japan. Japan would explain a lot of their design choices because there's something very ass backwards about a lot of tech stuff coming from there - like it's high quality, high tech but stupid functionality all at the same time?
Sort of? It's so weird! I know you and others are more concerned with something sounding good vs. having a 1:1 match with a real amp. And the X amps feel great, quick response and sound good on their own (provided you can jive with the overall Boss tone "focus"). But the things I am drawn to are all those classic high gain heavy hitters. And Boss does a bad job with those classics. The culture differences are always cited with how Boss does things and I can see that. I just like things that sound as close to the real thing as possible. And Boss is not that.

Honest question: Are there any IR loaders from companies with Boss’ reputation? This is not a “china bad” position, but reliability-wise, I’ll put money on boss over mooer.

I could see the IR-2 being a convenient companion for my Xload LB-2. It’s a two-device solution that approximates something like the Suhr RLIR.

But the things I am drawn to are all those classic high gain heavy hitters.
The only high gain sound I liked in LT's demo was the generic "Hi Gain". The Rectifier etc. sounded pretty gross. (Disclaimer: through my ear buds.) And conversely, the only clean sound I liked was the "Clean" sound. That "Twin" didn't sound like I've ever heard - or wanted to hear - a Twin sound.

I'm pretty sure if I were to buy one of these, I'd zero in on exactly one usable clean tone and exactly one usable heavy tone, and never touch the knobs again.

I'm hoping Leo Gibson can provide an answer as to whether the USB audio is class compliant. Class-compliant MIDI Thru of events hitting that TRS input would be awesome, too, but even less likely. (If I had my druthers, you'd also be able to disable the channel switching on the footswitch, and apply a CC message to send when depressed. Then you could run USB audio and MIDI to iOS plugins, loopers, whatever downstream.)

propeller-hat.gif

I could be wrong (?) but the Amps here do *not* include any of either the very-excellent X-series GT amps or the equally very-excellent "New Boss Designed" GT series amps. Its the other "legacy" GT Amps plus a couple of the [ very-excellent] Katana Amps.

If Boss ever put the Katana Amps in the GT series ..... I'd grab one again :)

Ben

This is going to be a very popular back up rig solution. Throw it in your gig bag in the case you need to run your pedal board direct or if your main modeling rig goes down unexpectedly. I didn't love the tones, but it would get you through the set. The size and price point are excellent.

I could be wrong (?) but the Amps here do *not* include any of either the very-excellent X-series GT amps or the equally very-excellent "New Boss Designed" GT series amps. Its the other "legacy" GT Amps plus a couple of the [ very-excellent] Katana Amps.

If Boss ever put the Katana Amps in the GT series ..... I'd grab one again :)

Ben
X-Crunch, X-Modded and Diamond from what I am seeing. I am assuming Brown is from the Katana line.

I just can't gel with their modeling. I've tried. So hard too.

Having spent a lot of time with the GT1000 ...... the key is ... i.m.h.o ..... ironically .... to set your input level way lower than their in-built meter suggests. If you do it as recommended, you will have a very hot signal that will gain-up and de-dynamicize every GT Amp you try. Set the Input put gain nice and low and ...boom .... more dynamics and feel than you could ever want.

Ben

Having spent a lot of time with the GT1000 ...... the key is ... i.m.h.o ..... ironically .... to set your input level way lower than their in-built meter suggests. If you do it as recommended, you will have a very hot signal that will gain-up and de-dynamicize every GT Amp you try. Set the Input put gain nice and low and ...boom .... more dynamics and feel than you could ever want.

Ben
Post in thread 'A Boss IR-2 appears...'
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/a-boss-ir-2-appears.2516736/post-38030799

Back