Boss IR-2 - Very compact amp/cab sim pedal

It very certainly can. But as said, it's the same dilemma as with the Amplifirebox, the NUX Amp Academy and what not. Turn a knob and you never know where you are - so you might as well enjoy some brutal parameter jumps.
On the other hand, I don't think the knobs are particularly readable on the IR-2 in the first place, so it might not matter too much.

I'm not super bothered by it on my Strymon Iridium as wiggling a knob to show its stored position is fairly quick. But it is absolutely an aspect where the IR-200 is better since it has a display that will show the stored knob positions when you turn them.

On the other hand, I don't think the knobs are particularly readable on the IR-2 in the first place, so it might not matter too much.

Yeah well - but at least you don't run into parameter jumps.

Apart from that, yeah, those tandem pots suck. I've got one of those dual turbo overdrives from Boss (which suck anyway, sounds pretty bad), hard to decipher anything.

This YouTube thumbnail may be the worst yet. Is he playing harmonica? Or is he suggesting that this product solves everything... including his sinus problems? ("Neti Pot Killer!")

1701351162245.png

Last edited:
Kinda like Line 6, they are getting as much mileage out of those old amps as possible. It's neat that they were able to do channel switching amp and IR in a Boss single pedal format. Someday if I ever have way too much money sitting around I still want to put together a Boss board.

Need to watch the vid for some details, but if it can toggle between X Modded (or Crunch) and JC120 by stepping on the pedal, this is going to sell like hot cakes.
Agreed. Hell, I just stuck my Flamma preamp pedal into the "backup stuff" section of the trunk of my other car, I'd rather have those X amps to play with, should the need ever arise.

That’s super cool, especially with the channel switching. I could put that on a board with pedals and cover just about any gig by switching between two sounds (clean and crunchy, or crunch and high gain depending on gig) assuming it cleans up ok with the volume knob and dynamics.

Knowing where the knobs were on the saved channel doesn’t concern me. I’m generally pretty good at having my direct tones dialed in where I won’t need to touch the controls at a gig, but in the event I did need to make an adjustment the adjustment is straightforward enough - if you have too much bass or too little bass, turn bass knob until it sounds right you don’t need to know where it was when saved you just need to get it to where it needs to be now.

D

I have thoughts but am about to head into a meeting. Initial litany of grievances. I might be wrong on some of them because I haven't had time to investigate really anything:
1. No gain switch or presence controls. Very "powerful" tone sculpting controls on the Boss amp models. Channel switching is cool I'd say.
2. I assume you can't use it as an IR player because Boss is dumb.
3. These GT-3 era legacy amp models HAVE TO GO. FFS this is the same regurgitated BS they have used forever. Upgrade converters but leave the same shit models in place. The X-series are fine on their own merit.

I'll watch some vids later today and follow back up :nails:hmm:rofl

I have thoughts but am about to head into a meeting. Initial litany of grievances. I might be wrong on some of them because I haven't had time to investigate really anything:
1. No gain switch or presence controls. Very "powerful" tone sculpting controls on the Boss amp models. Channel switching is cool I'd say.
2. I assume you can't use it as an IR player because Boss is dumb.
3. These GT-3 era legacy amp models HAVE TO GO. FFS this is the same regurgitated BS they have used forever. Upgrade converters but leave the same shit models in place. The X-series are fine on their own merit.

I'll watch some vids later today and follow back up :nails:hmm:rofl

I assumed they were using the same models in the gt1000. You’re saying they used much older stuff? That would be a strange choice…

D

I assumed they were using the same models in the gt1000. You’re saying they used much older stuff? That would be a strange choice…

D
The legacy amps sound like the same garbage as they have had since forever. X series is from the GT. I don't believe for one second they remodeled all the old amp models.

Back