Boss GM-800 and GK-5

So with this gm-800 i can become a member of the roland cloud zen-core system and purchase any of the sounds from them and use it with the gm-800?
There are many free sound packs on RC. Most are free. Some are paid if made by a specific sound designer. Editing sounds on RC via Zenology Pro is paid. There doesn't seem to be a way to create your own new sounds directly on the GM-800. You can also create new sounds via a Roland Fantom keyboard.
Also can i run my guitar with special cable and gk-5 pickup into the gm-800 and midi-out from gm-800 to midi in on my hydrasynth desktop and control it?
Maybe, but Roland's pitch to MIDI was never that great. So who know how well it'll work.

Editing (basic) can be done via the Tone Studio app now available

GM-800 Tone Studio.png

Last edited:
Ok so i signed up for the roland cloud manager app and basically anything under the guitar & bass section for the gm-800 will only work for the gm-800, but all the other stuff under the other categories won't i believe, right?

The Zenology marketplace is a concept I am not sure on. If you can hear examples; that would be great. But pay to hear would be not so exciting in my POV.

Ok so i signed up for the roland cloud manager app and basically anything under the guitar & bass section for the gm-800 will only work for the gm-800, but all the other stuff under the other categories won't i believe, right?
Anything that is ZenCore based should work. Looking now the GM-800 page is mostly paid stuff for now. All those same sound packs are there for Roland's other synths. Except Fantom users get them for free.

That I believe the GK-5 pass through. No 13 pin pass through that would allow me to use the GM-800 and SY-1000 together with a single GK-3 pickup and the GKC-AD converter.
Yeah, this would have been nice. I could see pairing the GM-800 with a GP-10 so as to cover guitar tones via the hex cable. But unless they make a TRS-to-pin converter (more $$$), that's not feasible.

The Zenology marketplace is a concept I am not sure on. If you can hear examples; that would be great. But pay to hear would be not so exciting in my POV.

When you download the roland cloud manager and browse under the gm-800 they have wave expansions and packs for money and you get sound examples right there or click on more info and it'll take you to a webpage with more sound examples on most.. However most are $5 to $20 right now and no free ones yet for gm-800.

Anything that is ZenCore based should work. Looking now the GM-800 page is mostly paid stuff for now. All those same sound packs are there for Roland's other synths. Except Fantom users get them for free.

Hmm I'm not sure on that. I think the only things that work for gm-800 will be under the gm-800 tab. I don't believe the other sound packs under the other synth tabs would work if it's not under the gm-800?

Yeah, this would have been nice. I could see pairing the GM-800 with a GP-10 so as to cover guitar tones via the hex cable. But unless they make a TRS-to-pin converter (more $$$), that's not feasible.
You'd need to buy or build a 13 pin break out box and split the 13 pin cable before the GKC-AD converter. I'd want to use the GM-800 with the SY-1000 this way.
Hmm I'm not sure on that. I think the only things that work for gm-800 will be under the gm-800 tab. I don't believe the other sound packs under the other synth tabs would work if it's not under the gm-800?
There are ways to move the sounds over using Zenology lite or Pro. It's cumbersome though because it involves copying them onto a thumbdrive. I do this with my AE-30 wind synth.

They have 2 converters. One for each instance. It would be cool if they combined both of the converter boxes into a single box for every situation?

13 wave expansions right now which cost $20 a piece
and then there's 129 sound packs right now which range from $5 to $10 a piece.
No free right now under the GM-800 tab.

You'd need to buy or build a 13 pin break out box and split the 13 pin cable before the GKC-AD converter. I'd want to use the GM-800 with the SY-1000 this way.
Sorry, what's a GKC-AD converter? There's no 13-pin input on the GM-800, so I'm not seeing any obvious way to get TRS serial hex to the GM800 and 13-pin hex to whatever else.

(I'm also running on 4 hours of sleep and I'm about 24 hours into a server migration gone completely sideways, so it's possible I'm being a little thick.)

Sorry, what's a GKC-AD converter? There's no 13-pin input on the GM-800, so I'm not seeing any obvious way to get TRS serial hex to the GM800 and 13-pin hex to whatever else.

(I'm also running on 4 hours of sleep and I'm about 24 hours into a server migration gone completely sideways, so it's possible I'm being a little thick.)

The GKC-DA?
GK-5 -> GM-800 -> GKC-DA -> GP-10 should work, no?

Oh cool! That's exactly what I was speculating they might do in my previous post. I won't even ask what it cost because I'm sure someone's already said, and I missed that, too...
Yeah for the scenario you're thinking of you want the GKC-DA. $200.

Back