Boss GM-800 and GK-5

64 billion $$$ question???

Can you play the GM-800 externally via MIDI?
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 14.02.54.png

Can you reverse mount the GK5?
Not sure whether the GK5 specifically supports that, but the GM-800 does allow you to specify the pickup direction (p. 14 of the Parameter Guide) so to me that implies it can be done.....Can't find any doc yet for the GK-5.

Guess I'll be that guy and say I'm disappointed it doesn't have amp and cab modeling. So I'll go back to hoping L6 updates the Helix synth options. I don't need pianos and trumpets, just basic analog synth controls would be nice.

Ugh. Wife just gave me the green light to buy!

But now I'm conflicted. Wanted the PCM sounds, and love that I can use this as a synth module, and I do want the new GK interface.....but I can't help but wonder whether the SY-1000 isn't a better fit for me.....Guess I have some research to do, but knowing me I'm gonna get impatient and just order the GM-800....
Get the more expensive option while you have the greenlight. I’ve learned from experience. Return or sell for cheaper option later if need be.

No 13 pin and fat crappy cable, top notch synth engine, loaded with so many sounds I could easily play for weeks without needing an amp, small footprint, doubles as module, less than a SY1000 in price.

yea I think I can do without the boss amp sims and pair it with TONEX pedal or Stomp etc and deal with having two cables or go wireless for the guitar pickup output. I never have found use for the guitar modeling and alternate tuning stuff so no problem having it gone either.

for me this is what I always wanted the previous guitar synths to be.
I’ll add my Luminite Graviton M1 and two remotes on guitar body and I’m going to be armed well beyond my talent level for life!

I think this is going to be Roland's best-selling guitar synth yet. Probably the best-sounding engine (though still somewhat... familiar?) they've ever shipped in a guitar synth, and the new cable will be far less off-putting than the old 13-pin. And the footprint is nice and small.

The only missteps I see here are: no controls on the pickup itself (I wanted more - e.g. a virtual p/u selector switch - not less) and no input for magnetic pickups. This means two cables from guitar to pedalboard which is a little off putting. Kind of a one-step forward, one-step back deal (very Roland LOL.) Wondering, though: did they manage to cram some COSM modeled guitars into this box? If you can run COSM guitars alongside synth voices, and go 100% hex/virtual, then the omission of a mag. pickup input would be fine.

Last edited:
So looks like you have to buy the boss gm-800, gk-5 pickup, new serial gk cable all separately. Which is going to run you around $1,100.

Wondering, though: did they manage to cram some COSM modeled guitars into this box? If you can run COSM guitars alongside synth voices, and go 100% hex/virtual, then the omission of a mag. pickup input would be fine.
What we really need here is a link to an Owner's Manual. :)

Ok so my local shop is going to order them and accessories needed and i'll be getting it sometime when one comes available. I hope we don't have to wait too long but rumor going around saying 3 to 4 weeks, but we'll see.

So I'm not entirely familiar with the zen-core engine? Can we do different synthesis with this? Like fm synthesis, granular synthesis, wave table synthesis etc?? Anywhere I can go read / learn on zen-core and what is available that we'll be able to do with the gm-800?

So I'm not entirely familiar with the zen-core engine? Can we do different synthesis with this? Like fm synthesis, granular synthesis, wave table synthesis etc?? Anywhere I can go read / learn on zen-core and what is available that we'll be able to do with the gm-800?

ZenCore is 4 oscilator (partial) synth with VA waves, PCM, Ring, and noise. This is the Zenology editer on Roland Cloud.

Roland-Zenology-ZenCore.jpg

Back