Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Roland really does go one step short every time. Can we get GK pass through on this thing? I guess not. So I'll need a 13 pin splitter of I want to use the GM-800 with the SY-1000. [Insert Kirk shouting pic here]

boss-gkc-ad.jpg

Here's some sounds

Horns are good. Would be interested to see some single note runs and how well it tracks. Piano sounds and performance in the video are pretty much pure flex. Of course; Hutchins is the most "oh look I turned my hand into a claw and used my pinky nail to emulate a clavinet" player you will ever find. So YMMV on that :grin I need to hear some sax tones! I have zero time to deeply research but I assume no guitar emulation on here.

For me and my live gig needs; so many questions. This is a lot smaller than the GR55. Which is a GODSEND. But I am not tearing out all my GK3 installs, as horrific as they may be. So I would need that breakout box. Which would eliminate the "smaller" advantage it has. Does it offer the same level of experience with a GK3 even? You have to then get the magnetic pickup signal out separately somehow. I need to invent time to dig in a bit more. It looks super cool but not sure if I will end up going over my tax write-off cap to make my existing guitars and GK3s work :nails

Holy shit that was awesome.

This normally wouldn’t be my thing, but geez that was an impressive demo.

The million dollar question for me: Is the pickup only needed if you’re wanting to play “normal” guitar along with it, or can you just run directly into the box if you’re only wanting the synth affected tone?

The million dollar question for me: Is the pickup only needed if you’re wanting to play “normal” guitar along with it, or can you just run directly into the box if you’re only wanting the synth affected tone?
You need the Boss pickup if you want to play the synth stuff. It's a hexaphonic pickup with a separate pickup for each string, that's how the synth machine can do what it does. Looks like the box doesn't even have a normal guitar input.

I think of it as a synth tone module with MIDI input, one of which happens to be the new GK over 1/4".

Even though I've already ordered, I really wish it was more guitar-focused and had more of the SY-1000 feature set.

But as we all know by now, That's Our Boss.....

Roland really does go one step short every time. Can we get GK pass through on this thing? I guess not. So I'll need a 13 pin splitter of I want to use the GM-800 with the SY-1000. [Insert Kirk shouting pic here]

boss-gkc-ad.jpg
Looks like there's a pass-through on the GM-800 itself.
1689870416132.png

You need the Boss pickup if you want to play the synth stuff. For normal guitar, use your normal pickups and guitar output.

Oh no, that sucks. I was hoping it was only so you could have a “traditional” and “synth” signal path concurrently. Out of curiosity why can’t this thing accept a traditional guitar output if all you wanted was the “synth” at any one time? Is there some kind of mojo in the pickup itself to make all this work?

Oh no, that sucks. I was hoping it was only so you could have a “traditional” and “synth” signal path concurrently. Out of curiosity why can’t this thing accept a traditional guitar output if all you wanted was the “synth” at any one time? Is there some kind of mojo in the pickup itself to make all this work?
You replied before my edit was complete, look again! Hex pickup!

Ugh. Wife just gave me the green light to buy!

But now I'm conflicted. Wanted the PCM sounds, and love that I can use this as a synth module, and I do want the new GK interface.....but I can't help but wonder whether the SY-1000 isn't a better fit for me.....Guess I have some research to do, but knowing me I'm gonna get impatient and just order the GM-800....
Good for you! I'm scared to even mention it to my wife. She may give me the ole ---
bitch slap slapping GIF

boss-gkc-ad.jpg
Between these two break out boxes and the synth tones themselves all these promos should come with a trigger warning for those of us who are still recovering from our escape from the 80’s and 90’s with Roland products.

I’m having flashbacks of loud sweaters and fake silk shirts.

Last edited:
So yeah my local shop ordered from roland / boss directly and they said nothing has been shipped out yet, so it'll be a few weeks out before anyone gets them. So possibly middle of August?

Back