Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Scared Oh No GIF by CBC

It’s like they took my MC101 and gave it a guitar input!

The Zencore engine is pretty powerful - for the zencore sound packs the older ones (first 100) are $5 and the more recents are $20 a pop.

Those guitar, bass sounds you’re seeing are most likely the PCM sounds in the zencore engine. Do a trial of zenology pro and you should essentially be able to check out all the sounds.

I'm still wanting to know if all zen core wave expansions and sound packs are compatible for the GM-800 or is it just the ones under the GM-800 tab in the roland cloud manager....

Electric guitar option gives you 28 different electric guitar voicings to choose from
Distortion guitar option gives you 22 different distortion voicings to choose from
Acoustic guitar option gives you 27 different acoustic options including uke and mandolin etc. to choose from
Acoustic bass has 5 options
Electric bass has 23 options
Those are going to be synth patches of guitar. As in, you’re going to sound like every keyboard player with a guitar patch trying to sound like a guitar.

Anyone have a clue about what the ‘5th part’ can do? It is the R button and referred to as rhythm but so far no indication of how we might make use of it. Someone in one of the demo videos mentioned the drum type voices built in but looking at part R in the editor doesn’t reveal any answers.
Sequencer? (Not likely based on what the editor shows)Something like the rhythm capabilities of the newer boss loopers? Or just electronic drum bits from the synth realm?

and on another note, in the editor, under FX in scene section there are choices that seem to be different amp sims…”clean twin” …‘MS1959’…”SLDN Lead”.etc
Wonder if that is model of a guitar amp that could be used to run a guitar amp voice in parallel with some synth parts. And if so is it the Boss amp modeling from GT1000? Seems like no or else they would have been shouting that instead of leaving it out. Would be nice though since the GK5 doesn’t send your guitars output into the output. Even if it is just a raw hex pickup signal it could be useful if you can get it into a decent amp simulation.

Last edited:
Electric guitar option gives you 28 different electric guitar voicings to choose from
Distortion guitar option gives you 22 different distortion voicings to choose from
Acoustic guitar option gives you 27 different acoustic options including uke and mandolin etc. to choose from
Acoustic bass has 5 options
Electric bass has 23 options
Does anyone know what these actually are? If they're COSM instrument models a la GP-10, awesome. If they're synth approximations or MIDI-triggered PCM samples, blech.

Pitch-to-MIDI tracking in this video looks like a big improvement over the SY-1000.
Yeah that video was actually super informative. Being able to pull the zenology presets/patches over to the hardware via Metal Zone flashdrive is :love
Anyone have a clue about what the ‘5th part’ can do? It the R button and referred to as rhythm but so far no indication of how we might make use of it. Someone in one of the demo videos mentioned the drum type voices built in but looking at part R in the editor doesn’t reveal any answers.

and on another note, in the editor, under FX in scene section there are choices that seem to be different amp sims…”clean twin” …‘MS1959’…”SLDN Lead”.etc
Wonder if that is model of a guitar amp that be used to run a guitar amp voice in parallel with some synth parts. And if so is it the Boss amp modeling from GT1000? Seems like no or else they would have been shouting that instead of leaving it out. Would be nice though since the GK5 doesn’t send your guitars output into the output. Even if it is just a raw hex pickup signal it could be useful if you cab get it into a decent amp simulation.
Those amps are terrible. Mystery solved. The lack of guitar out doesn't actually bug me despite understanding 1000% why it would bug someone.
Does anyone know what these actually are? If they're COSM instrument models a la GP-10, awesome. If they're synth approximations or MIDI-triggered PCM samples, blech.
"I'm just a guitar pretending to be a keyboard pretending to be a guitar"

• Which begs the question: is there any reason I wouldn't just use any old TRS cable I happen to have laying around. Does the Roland cable have special low-impedance sauce or something?
I bet someone will be testing this theory
:columbo:clint

Looking at the list in the editor I’m pretty sure it’s the latter. They all have names like “clean guitar”, “jazz guitar”, “fuzz guitar”

:confused:

Anyone have a clue about what the ‘5th part’ can do? It is the R button and referred to as rhythm but so far no indication of how we might make use of it. Someone in one of the demo videos mentioned the drum type voices built in but looking at part R in the editor doesn’t reveal any answers.
Sequencer? (Not likely based on what the editor shows)Something like the rhythm capabilities of the newer boss loopers? Or just electronic drum bits from the synth realm?

Wonder if that is model of a guitar amp that could be used to run a guitar amp voice in parallel with some synth parts. And if so is it the Boss amp modeling from GT1000? Seems like no or else they would have been shouting that instead of leaving it out. Would be nice though since the GK5 doesn’t send your guitars output into the output. Even if it is just a raw hex pickup signal it could be useful if you can get it into a decent amp simulation.

The 5th rhythm part is Roland's stock drum kits. Same as on Fantom, V-Drums, TR-8s, etc. No drum sequencing in board. The amp sims from Roland's FX aren't that good. Not the same as on the modelers.

Back