Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Yes by the assign matrix, but you have to set it up for each preset. Hit menu, then control assign, then assign settings

In there you would use "tone sel part sw" for P1, P2, P3, P4. and on next page under source change it to midi cc# and use any midi cc number you wanna dedicate too it etc.. Make sure you save each preset after you're done setting it up.

Alternate route you can buy four boss fs-5u switches and 2 Y-cable things (forget the name right now) and go to control assign, then control function and set up ctl 3,4,5,6 in that matrix for "part on/off" etc.
I dug around in the editor trying to find a workaround (because Boss). I thought this would only select parts, not turn them on and off? Because Boss :oops:

Yes by the assign matrix, but you have to set it up for each preset. Hit menu, then control assign, then assign settings

In there you would use "tone sel part sw" for P1, P2, P3, P4. and on next page under source change it to midi cc# and use any midi cc number you wanna dedicate too it etc.. Make sure you save each preset after you're done setting it up.

Alternate route you can buy four boss fs-5u switches and 2 Y-cable things (forget the name right now) and go to control assign, then control function and set up ctl 3,4,5,6 in that matrix for "part on/off" etc.

That worked. Could even assign parts 3 and 4 to the same cc number.

This week, I'm starting to put together a deep tutorial video on using Zenology Pro to create your own new sounds for the GM-800. It'll include a full sound design how-to from the basic stuff to advanced synthesis techniques. If you've never programmed a synth in your life or you want some new tips, this video will be for you. I'm posting this info now to field any questions or topics you may want me to discuss. If so, let me know asap.
Cheers, TJ

Here’s a complete tutorial video on using Roland Zenology Pro to program your own synth sounds for ZenCore compatible gear such as the Boss GM-800, Fantom, etc. Here, the basics of sound design are covered as it pertains to Zenology Pro and synthesis in general as well as more advance functions. Sample sounds are created to demonstrate the workflow and the power of Zenology Pro.

Did Boss ever disclose the sample size? Those raw wave forms sound kind of sucky. Perhaps because I use G2M to trigger the real thing.

But do you to TJ. How do you think those waveform samples into a digital filter compares to the real thing?

Did Boss ever disclose the sample size? Those raw wave forms sound kind of sucky. Perhaps because I use G2M to trigger the real thing.

But do you to TJ. How do you think those waveform samples into a digital filter compares to the real thing?

Zenology samples are very small and most, if not all, have come from Roland's library dating back as far as the 90s. The digital filters won't be mistaken for the real analog ones compared side by side. That doesn't mean they don't sound good in any event.

Higher sample bits means more notes can sampled for longer times giving arguably better sound quality.

As guitar players we chase the best tone possible. If one must use samples there are way better options out there than what the Boss is trying to feed us, like a 1990s Emu esi32 which can be purchased for around $100 used plus the cost of high bit samples like an 8 meg piano.

If consumers had said no to this repeat (really a remake of the GR50 LA synth), perhaps Boss would have used new modeling techs instead of sample snippets.
Zenology samples are very small and most, if not all, have come from Roland's library dating back as far as the 90s. The digital filters won't be mistaken for the real analog ones compared side by side. That doesn't mean they don't sound good in any event.

Higher sample bits means more notes can sampled for longer times giving arguably better sound quality.

As guitar players we chase the best tone possible. If one must use samples there are way better options out there than what the Boss is trying to feed us, like a 1990s Emu esi32 which can be purchased for around $100 used plus the cost of high bit samples like an 8 meg piano.

If consumers had said no to this repeat (really a remake of the GR50 LA synth), perhaps Boss would have used new modeling techs instead of sample snippets.
There is modeling tech available from Roland/Boss (V-Piano, V-EP, V-Strings, Juno/Jupiter, etc) that could be coming to the GM-800 in future firmware. Zencore is just one engine to get things started. Judging by the firmware upgrades other Roland/Boss gear have received in the past, I think these models are likely to find their way into GM-800.

Counting bits and rates is kind of a loosing game. Some of the greatest and biggest selling recordings were made on the crappiest gear that no one wanted at the time. Those guys weren't thinking about why they didn't do everything in 96k 32 bit mode. They were thinking about making hit records any way they could. Fact is, ugly down sampled low bit sounds sell.

Those guys weren't thinking about why they didn't do everything in 96k 32 bit mode. They were thinking about making hit records any way they could. Fact is, ugly down sampled low bit sounds sell.
Oh I agree that lower bit rates can sound good.

I'm taking about file size, not sample rate.

Good luck getting Boss to update the GM800 firmware to modeling. That will be the next product.

It' is not necessarily the sample or waveform, but the filters and LFO's applied after that make the sound.
Different Osc have different character. Feeding my Arp 2600m Osc or analog Roland GR300 through my Moog filters, envelopes and modulation(Voyeger, Slim phatty, Matriarch, mother 32) doesn't make my them sound like a moog, although it does still sound good.

The large file size Arp samples for my emu esi 32 sampler sound just
as good as my analog Arp 2600. The samples were taken after the Arp filter and modulation. But the same mod can give sounds a sameness quality.

Last edited:
I would not wait for Boss to update the GM-800 with modeling, and I do not think it would even be possible. We already have the SY-1000 for pure modeling. A different animal. More natural beauty. No Pitch-to-MIDI triggering things 🚫

I would not wait for Boss to update the GM-800 with modeling, and I do not think it would even be possible. We already have the SY-1000 for pure modeling. A different animal. More natural beauty. No Pitch-to-MIDI triggering things 🚫

SY-1000 has guitar and amp modeling not synth modeling.
Waiting for Boss to update anything is an exercise in futility. An age old story.
I'd certainly agree with you. However, I think the GM-800 may be a little different. They don't need to write new code. They just need to port it over. We'll see...

SY-1000 has guitar and amp modeling not synth modeling.
I always wondered how Roland created the GR300 synth in the SY1000 (VG99 and GP10). It's around a 99% accurate reproduction of the analog GR300. Some say they added harmonics to the guitar string with various filtering. Same with the dynamic synth. Isn't that modeling?

The Osc synth is thought to be a sample that's triggered hence the poor performance similar to the P2M of that unit.

Did Roland perfect the mis-triggering in the Osc synth (PCM samples of analog waveforms) in the GM800?

I would highly recommend anyone wanting learn subtractive synth techniques not do it on a computer.

Buy an inexpensive analog synth, one knob per function and trigger it with one of the faster more accurate guitar P2M converters. In Roland products that would be GI-10/20, GR50, GR1 and GR33. Or trigger with keyboard.

An inexpensive subtractive synth would be a mono synth like Behringer Model D or a used Dreadbox Nymphes for modulation options and 6 note poly.

I always wondered how Roland created the GR300 synth in the SY1000 (VG99 and GP10). It's around a 99% accurate reproduction of the analog GR300. Some say they added harmonics to the guitar string with various filtering. Same with the dynamic synth. Isn't that modeling?

The Osc synth is thought to be a sample that's triggered hence the poor performance similar to the P2M of that unit.

Did Roland perfect the mis-triggering in the Osc synth (PCM samples of analog waveforms) in the GM800?

Modeling is reproducing each component of the gear in software. Filtering is just well, filtering. Likely multiple bandpass filters for prior to GM-800 units.

Triggers are better in GM-800.

Back