Boss GM-800 and GK-5

loop eating GIF by xavieralopez

Taking Sascha off of Ignore briefly to see what he’s bitching about this time is like trying to bite into a Gobstopper with a cavity-filled tooth.

Where exactly am I bitching about anything? I was posting some factual things. If you think that's bitching, you better quickly put me on ignore again. And that's rather your loss than mine.

Sounds like it’s not for you then. Move along.

It's every bit for me. I own a GTM system since my Atari days. And I never said it was not for me. All I did was to (and fwiw, quite sufficiently at that) explain why guitar playing doesn't translate to MIDI even half as nicely as a keyboard. Practical and historical evidence included.

Isn’t that what the SY-1000 is? Except that it doesn’t have piano sounds or whatever
The SY1000 is great for harmonically restructuring the guitar strings into synth tones (with the exception of the oscillator synth which seems to be a triggered sample wave form hence it's poor tracking results).

However

Roland could have adapted that same sort of technology (it's already out there) to model acoustic instruments like piano, sax, cello, glockenspiel, bagpipes etc but no, Roland chose once again to repackage a 1990s GR 50 guitar synth. Except they moved the AD converter to the guitar, which pretty much made obsolete 13 pin gear. Then they marketed for our cash a 13 pin adapter and more patches and samples. And for some reason guitar players lapped it up as the next best great thing.

But the underlying fact is nothing is really improved beyond what was already out there.

It works quite well.

Within certain boundaries. Which I explained. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry it doesn’t work for you.

See above, it does. Within certain boundaries. Which I explained. Nothing more, nothing less.

You don’t seem to understand what anyone in this thread is getting at, which isn’t surprising, but it is tiresome.

I perfectly understand that. Also, some people seem to at least appreciate the things I wrote. You might feel free to talk outta your ***, though, it's a free forum.

Sloppy playing is somehow ok on guitar A guitar synth exposes these weaknesses in a player
When I hear GM800 P2M tracking error from technically proficient players I don't believe your statement is entirely true. In one of the GM800 YT, one such technically proficient guitar player stated that the tracking errors are still there.

The point is they don't have to be with current DSP modeling technically available in software.

Supporting Roland's product repackaging market strategy doesn't help get us a hardware guitar synth that can accurately model acoustic instruments and actually works for everyone.

But the underlying fact is nothing is really improved beyond what was already out there.

I disagree. The sounds / samples in the gm-800 are far beyond better then anything roland / boss has done. Definitely not the same sounds as the gr-55 or older ones. Also name me one of roland / boss guitar synths where you can layer 4 parts? ;) So I think those are big improvements?

Last edited:
What's the target audience size for a box like this? Super shocking that Boss would repackage something.
The target audience is we who are attracted to bright shiny objects and support the repackaging marketing strategy in the hope that it actually works this time.

That used to be me BTW, but I now understand that if I keep supporting that marketing strategy, it will just keep happening. We will just keep getting repackaged 90s technology.

Nice edit, @Trollbait. He said I was talking out of my ass. I responded in kind.
That's why I removed my post and I didn't want to seem like I was attacking you.

But the point I made in that removed post point stands.

When we use online personal attacks, it refects our character and not the character of the person we are attacking.

I thought personal attacks were a hallmark of TOP, which is why I left TOP and vguitarforums (although I still read the very informative technical information there at V).

When I hear GM800 P2M tracking error from technically proficient players I don't believe your statement is entirely true. In one of the GM800 YT, one such technically proficient guitar player stated that the tracking errors are still there.

The point is they don't have to be with current DSP modeling technically available in software.

Supporting Roland's product repackaging market strategy doesn't help get us a hardware guitar synth that can accurately model acoustic instruments and actually works for everyone.
Proficient guitar playing doesn't always mean clean playing.

Roland has never created a ZenCore based guitar synth prior to the GM-800. ZenCore tech has been around for years but not for guitarist.

What's your solution then?
I've only recently learned that acoustic modeling technology is available in software.

I would have purchased the gm800 if it had that technology. I already have a GR50 that works well enough for its internal pcm sample snippets. But it does have one of the better Roland P2M to trigger external midi synthesizers.

Back