Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Geez the midi manual for the gm-800 confuses me haha. Anyone know what the CC# and value is for ctl 2 and the up / down switches? I got the ctl 1 working with CC#1 and value 127 which I have it set for part modulation. I have CTL 2 set for part hold and the up / down buttons I have set for scene octave - and +. I just can't seem to get my midi thing to work for ctl 2 or the up / down or find the right things I need for them?

Geez the midi manual for the gm-800 confuses me haha. Anyone know what the CC# and value is for ctl 2 and the up / down switches? I got the ctl 1 working with CC#1 and value 127 which I have it set for part modulation. I have CTL 2 set for part hold and the up / down buttons I have set for scene octave - and +. I just can't seem to get my midi thing to work for ctl 2 or the up / down or find the right things I need for them?

I don't think you can call that a manual. It is totally incomprehensible, ludicrously laid out and, essentially, worthless.

The GK pickups are Lefty friendly, you just flip the pickup over, and change a setting for "reverse mounted".

Stop enabling me!!!! :LOL:
no escape zombie GIF by nog

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've seen talk of GM-800 patches that can add voices depending on velocity — say a patch where it comes out as a sax when playing normally but adds in brass if you hit the strings harder.

How do you build a patch like that? I don't see an appropriate parameter.

I'm pretty sure I've seen talk of GM-800 patches that can add voices depending on velocity — say a patch where it comes out as a sax when playing normally but adds in brass if you hit the strings harder.

II don't know exactly but it seems like an envelope follower that raised an input gain to the 'loud' voice so it only plays input levels that exceed the triggering level of the envelope? or a signal mixer that drops one level and raises the other relative to the envelope

Or to keep it simple, is there a way to turn parts on and off via MIDI?

Or to keep it simple, is there a way to turn parts on and off via MIDI?

Yes by the assign matrix, but you have to set it up for each preset. Hit menu, then control assign, then assign settings

In there you would use "tone sel part sw" for P1, P2, P3, P4. and on next page under source change it to midi cc# and use any midi cc number you wanna dedicate too it etc.. Make sure you save each preset after you're done setting it up.

Alternate route you can buy four boss fs-5u switches and 2 Y-cable things (forget the name right now) and go to control assign, then control function and set up ctl 3,4,5,6 in that matrix for "part on/off" etc.

Back