Boss GM-800 and GK-5

My wife came in and was like WTF, I’m throwing down on the RG, but it’s trance coming out the speakers :ROFLMAO:

Britney Spears What GIF
Different rig, but I’ve been strapping on a Jem Jr and making old Tears for Fears covers come out of the speakers: synths, horns, pianos, and all. :D

Took me a good bit of cussing to figure this out. lol
I'm proud of you for still having it and not taking the easy way out :rofl

I've been preparing it for live use this weekend. There are certainly more parameters to sculpt the dynamics and tracking quality vs. the GR. And these options have been what's put me in the weeds with this more than anything else. Sounds were there from the jump but this vein of tweaking (which is super important when you are going to be blasting it through a loud a$$ FOH) is definitely my main concern currently. Especially for the trumpets.

I'm proud of you for still having it and not taking the easy way out :rofl

It has certainly crossed my mind lol

But then I think, it’s sort of the perfect rainy day device for me when I don’t feel like chugging, and honestly there isn’t a lot of other gear that is tripping my trigger atm so why not just grow into it? I was able to do a trial run using it with my DAW which is what I really wanted it for. I just need to find a way to integrate it with my other gear so I’m not re-routing wires every time I want to use it.

Welllll...I pulled the trigger. I'm having it shipped (when Sweetwater gets more in stock) to a FedEx drop point. That's a trick she's not wise to...yet.
Man, Sweetwater must have gotten some in stock right after I ordered. All of the stuff, cable, unit and pickup, will be here today.

Now...quick question: what would be the best way to run this with my FM9 so I can switch back and forth between synth and guitar parts? I'm a noob at this sort of thing and this is a different animal than the SY-200. I run a wireless live, so I wouldn't need to have two cables running to the guitar.

Man, Sweetwater must have gotten some in stock right after I ordered. All of the stuff, cable, unit and pickup, will be here today.

Now...quick question: what would be the best way to run this with my FM9 so I can switch back and forth between synth and guitar parts? I'm a noob at this sort of thing and this is a different animal than the SY-200. I run a wireless live, so I wouldn't need to have two cables running to the guitar.

Crap. I canceled my Sweetwater order for the GK-5 and ordered from Chicago Music Exchange. Tracking's been stuck on Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending for two days!

Now, my own quick question: Would the GK-5 work at all on a 12-string?

Ordinarily, I only do synth work from my electric, but there are a couple songs we do where it would be sweet to layer in some organ or pads while I'm playing the 12-string.

Last edited:
In custom lengths;
FYI; I ordered this cable and they don't work. It has a weird, thin TRS connector that sits somewhere between 1/4" and 1/8" from the looks of it?

Last edited:

Either run it into the FM9 FX loop and/or set up a GM-800 blank scene and use the FM9 MIDI block switch to/from that scene to turn off/on the sound. The latter method allows you to have spillover from the GM-800.

FYI; I ordered this cable and they don't work. It has a weird, thick TRS connector that sits somewhere between 1/4" and 1/8" from the looks of it?

It's the correct cable. You just need to ask them to build it with standard 1/4" TRS ends. Sorry, I only realized that after my original post.

Either run it into the FM9 FX loop and/or set up a GM-800 blank scene and use the FM9 MIDI block switch to/from that scene to turn off/on the sound. The latter method allows you to have spillover from the GM-800.

It's the correct cable. You just need to ask them to build it with standard 1/4" TRS ends. Sorry, I only realized that after my original post.
No worries. I should have looked a little closer but these past few weeks have been nuts.

No worries. I should have looked a little closer but these past few weeks have been nuts.

The photo on the website sucks. I had to call be sure. Steve from VGuitar pointed this out to me. You can solder the correct ends on. Time to brush up on your soldering skills.

Back