Boss GM-800 and GK-5

The GK pickups always ship with 497mm and 3mm shims.

:hmm:rofl:puppet
Never gets old...

7x4o0t.jpg

I meant to post this here, but JT's thread got in the way ;)

Mega VG rig is complete [insert devilish laugh here]

rs=w:1440,h:1440

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Today's guitar synths vs plug-in synths experiment. You really can't tell the difference. It's a new age.

Gear used in production;
Relish Mary One LTD,
Boss GM-800,
Boss SY-1000,
Logic Pro X Drummer,
Arturia Pigments,
Arturia MS-20 V,
Arturia DX7 V,
DS Audio Thorn,
u-he Diva,
Chase Bliss Mood MKII,
Meris LVX,

Last edited:
They released sound packs for zenology plug-in now. From my knowledge it's only for zenology, however I'm going to try it later and see if they'll work in the gm-800 as well. I don't see a point in them doing this just for the plug-in seeing that all sound packs and expansions work in zenology already, so why make some just for the plug-in lol... https://rolandcloud.com/news/introducing-zenology-sound-packs

EDIT: they do work in gm-800 as well once you export them from zenology pro to usb to gm-800. Just tested and worked fine. Weird that they say it only works for zenology pro plug-in and making packs specifically for it when it also works on hardware lol.

Last edited:
They released sound packs for zenology plug-in now. From my knowledge it's only for zenology, however I'm going to try it later and see if they'll work in the gm-800 as well. I don't see a point in them doing this just for the plug-in seeing that all sound packs and expansions work in zenology already, so why make some just for the plug-in lol... https://rolandcloud.com/news/introducing-zenology-sound-packs

Man, Roland really continues to fragment all of their Zenology stuff! It’s a headache to keep all of their terminology and compatibility straight.

Has anyone mounted a GK5 on a strat pickguard? It seems like it isn't quite as tall as the GK3 :unsure:
Only just saw this; I'm the doofus that duct-taped the GK-5 to his strat (which I believe is an American Standard?)...

And I was shocked to see all the talk about shims and what-not; I guess my action was illegally low because I had to crank the bridge saddles sky high just to get the bare GK-5 under the strings.... I was in a hurry to hear the GM-800!

(Duct tape is still holding, and for now I can't be bothered to tweak it or the action -- I'd rather spend my guitar time playing on the GM-800 and/or FM9.)

Only just saw this; I'm the doofus that duct-taped the GK-5 to his strat (which I believe is an American Standard?)...

And I was shocked to see all the talk about shims and what-not; I guess my action was illegally low because I had to crank the bridge saddles sky high just to get the bare GK-5 under the strings.... I was in a hurry to hear the GM-800!

(Duct tape is still holding, and for now I can't be bothered to tweak it or the action -- I'd rather spend my guitar time playing on the GM-800 and/or FM9.)
Single ply pickguard would probably work. Or having precision cutting skills :bag

Battle Tested!!! Who's Guitar Synth Boss!!! Boss SY-1000 vs Boss GM-800

Video roundup here;

I'm with him at 11:25 hoping they fix the need to change inputs between MIDI and GK. That is going to be a major PITA for me. I'm probably half and half on what I play on keyboard versus guitar at the moment, and I really don't want to fiddle with settings between songs.

Back