Boss GM-800 and GK-5

I still don’t have a GK5 but I had a Fishman FC1 sent to me so I could midi 5 pin straight to GM-800 and I’m happy with initial run through of the presets to see how that set up tracks. I can play too fast for it but I think it is the way I get sloppy that glitches at that speed not a hard limit on the capabilities of the Triple Play or GM 800. I’m not a proficient shredder.

If the GK5 is at that level at least then it’s a going to be a win.

I’d love to watch Alex Hutchins and Pete Thorn do a remake of Edgar Winters’ Frankenstein!

My assessment with the roland cloud system:

"They definitely need to work on a better work flow for the sound cloud.

So with a subscription of $10 a month (or other subscription options), you have access to 001 to like 0130 sound packs. Like 130 packs of sounds that each have like 15 to 30 some sounds in them each. That is a lot of extra sounds :D Like over 3,000 extra sounds so far!

However gm-800 only has access to put another additional 256 sounds via usb memory stick.

However when you sign up and go to the gm-800 tab in the roland cloud app, there's only a few that will download directly to your computer.

The 100 or so others are stored in zenology pro when you open it. Therefore you have to open zenology pro plug-in, find a sound pack you don't have yet then click on a sound in that pack, click write, a pop up window shows up, you can make a new bank in there. I prefer to label it the same name as the sound packs like example SDZ005 LA Synths or whatever one I'm on so I know. Then you click write and point to a spot to put that one sound in there, then go back and do it all for every sound inside that sound pack.

Why can't they just make it easier and let us download the entire sound pack from zenology, instead of having to do one by one in each sound pack, it's tiring lol.

Then once you loaded up every sound from that sound pack, you click export, and it'll export it as a SVZ format, stick it on usb stick, put in usb memory on gm-800 and load them in the 256 extra slots.

So been taking some time and doing this, gonna take awhile to get all of them done. However good thing is once you are done and you save them on your computer, they are yours forever, then you can cancel your subscription if you want or keep it and wait until they add more from time to time!

Other cool thing is with zenology pro plug-in, you have access to much more powerful engine to edit any of these sounds and make into your own bank. Parameters and stuff that isn't inside the gm-800 hardware.

The loading inside gm-800 is a bit tiring too but not too bad. You have to go to menu, then find the tone import section, then in there your sound packs will show up from your usb stick. Then find a sound pack you want, enter it, then in there if you have enough slots left, all you have to do is press button beside each sound in the sound pack and it'll add a check mark by each one then it'll load them all up if there was enough room. However if your 256 extra slots are taken, you have to do double duty clicking on left and right side of the screen to add new sounds in existing slots etc.."

Last edited:
My assessment with the roland cloud system:

"They definitely need to work on a better work flow for the sound cloud.

So with a subscription of $10 a month (or other subscription options), you have access to 001 to like 0130 sound packs. Like 130 packs of sounds that each have like 15 to 30 some sounds in them each. That is a lot of extra sounds :D Like over 3,000 extra sounds so far!

However gm-800 only has access to put another additional 256 sounds via usb memory stick.

However when you sign up and go to the gm-800 tab in the roland cloud app, there's only a few that will download directly to your computer.

The 100 or so others are stored in zenology pro when you open it. Therefore you have to open zenology pro plug-in, find a sound pack you don't have yet then click on a sound in that pack, click write, a pop up window shows up, you can make a new bank in there. I prefer to label it the same name as the sound packs like example SDZ005 LA Synths or whatever one I'm on so I know. Then you click write and point to a spot to put that one sound in there, then go back and do it all for every sound inside that sound pack.

Why can't they just make it easier and let us download the entire sound pack from zenology, instead of having to do one by one in each sound pack, it's tiring lol.

Then once you loaded up every sound from that sound pack, you click export, and it'll export it as a SVZ format, stick it on usb stick, put in usb memory on gm-800 and load them in the 256 extra slots.

So been taking some time and doing this, gonna take awhile to get all of them done. However good thing is once you are done and you save them on your computer, they are yours forever, then you can cancel your subscription if you want or keep it and wait until they add more from time to time!

Other cool thing is with zenology pro plug-in, you have access to much more powerful engine to edit any of these sounds and make into your own bank. Parameters and stuff that isn't inside the gm-800 hardware.

The loading inside gm-800 is a bit tiring too but not too bad. You have to go to menu, then find the tone import section, then in there your sound packs will show up from your usb stick. Then find a sound pack you want, enter it, then in there if you have enough slots left, all you have to do is press button beside each sound in the sound pack and it'll add a check mark by each one then it'll load them all up if there was enough room. However if your 256 extra slots are taken, you have to do double duty clicking on left and right side of the screen to add new sounds in existing slots etc.."

RC is anything but simple or easy. I've dropped my subscription several times after getting tired of it. Not sure if I'm going re-sign up now.

GM arrives on Monday. Not sure when GK-5 is coming. GKC-AD comes on Wednesday. I will be seeing how that translates and arranges out on the pedalboard before I make the full GK-5 move. Since it's not available as of yet and all.

@TJontheRoad and @BROCKSTAR ; did we decide we can use a regular TRS cable in place of the Boss serial cable?

GM arrives on Monday. Not sure when GK-5 is coming. GKC-AD comes on Wednesday. I will be seeing how that translates and arranges out on the pedalboard before I make the full GK-5 move. Since it's not available as of yet and all.

@TJontheRoad and @BROCKSTAR ; did we decide we can use a regular TRS cable in place of the Boss serial cable?
GKC-AD does fit neatly on the underside of any decent sized board. I've used the regular TRS without issue for 1-2 feet betwwen GKC-AD and GM-800. Not sure I'd trust it for longer lengths.

GKC-AD does fit neatly on the underside of any decent sized board. I've used the regular TRS without issue for 1-2 feet betwwen GKC-AD and GM-800. Not sure I'd trust it for longer lengths.
Nice. I am going to have the GM on a riser with the AD underneath of it. Which will give me a very short TRS run. I am crossing my fingers.

I have seen others using TRS from gkc converer boxes to the unit just fine, but I haven't seen anyone mention it from the gk-5.

I still don’t have a GK5 but I had a Fishman FC1 sent to me so I could midi 5 pin straight to GM-800 and I’m happy with initial run through of the presets to see how that set up tracks. I can play too fast for it but I think it is the way I get sloppy that glitches at that speed not a hard limit on the capabilities of the Triple Play or GM 800. I’m not a proficient shredder.

If the GK5 is at that level at least then it’s a going to be a win.

I’d love to watch Alex Hutchins and Pete Thorn do a remake of Edgar Winters’ Frankenstein!
That’s one helluva workaround! Pretty cool thinking.

So who is expecting their gm-800 this coming week? Hopefully the gk-5's start showing too!
kevin bacon dancing GIF

It is very fun to play. And very interesting to learn, because Bach defined the pillars of Western Music.

But, just to remind where is the North, pump up the volume of your monitors and listen to this 🙂

I once listened it at the organ of the Barcelona Cathedral, and it was impressive. An experience not even remotely replicated by the best audiophile equipment.

Made some videos for you all.

In this video I show you how to make and save a sound pack (or your own tones) from Zenology Pro plug-in to your computer. Then you'll stick a usb stick in your computer and save them on the drive. Refer to page 19 in the boss gm-800 reference manual on how to set that USB up under "USB flash drive folder architecture".

Watch this video to show how to add the sound packs in your GM-800.

I got my GM800 over the weekend. The sounds are fantastic. No GK5 yet so I used the A/D converter. Once you get the GK settings configured it works pretty good. To me it tracks pretty close to the TriplePlay without the crappy TriplePlay software.

As always, you still have to play clean, your guitar setup has to be good (string buzz and other artifacts will make you glitch), having the GK too close to the strings will cause double triggers, etc. Don't skimp on getting the guitar dialed in properly because it can have quite a dramatic impact on the results.

Using the Cycfi Nuv2 pickups via the Nexus breakout box works like a champ.

If anyone is looking for the new bass gk-5b pickup, one of my local store has it! They have the gm-800 and cables too.

Back