Boss GM-800 and GK-5

I just heard from Sweetwater rep. He said 'brace for end of this month' for GK5 shipping time frame.
'No word from Boss' as to why.

Anyone know how to get FTP (wireless) to output midi over USB through a MacBook? I'm not smart enough apparently...
This may be the same from GC. Good thing I was able to get the GKC-AD. This came in before the GM-800 (arrived today). I did order and receive the BOSS TRS cable BGK-15 from B&H.

Cancelled my order from the store that made it seem like there was actual stock when there wasn't and ordered from Sam Ash with a 15% discount. Unit and pickup are separate but I will at least get the GM here soon-ish.
:rollsafe
So Sam Ash has the GK5 pickup now?

Ok so I'm a bit bummed about the roland cloud soundpacks / wave expansions subscriptions / lifetime keys.

Basically anything you load up in the extra 256 slots will get overwritten each time you load them slots with something else from the roland cloud system, but here's the thing... if you went and made a scene / preset with those, then once you over ride those sounds that were in those slots you used to make scenes / presets with, then it'll mess all of them up with the new sounds you loaded.

Basically it's only good to make scenes with the internal 1,200+ sounds so they won't get over written.

The soundpacks and wave expansions are nice if you need some extra sounds for something you're working on in studio or live or plan on not over writing the slots they went too, but don't make scenes / presets with them and over write the slots later with more sounds because they won't sound the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this? I already wrote one scene with some sounds from a sound pack and don't wanna lose it lol.

Last edited:
OG order cancellation accepted by vendor; order is shipped by new vendor.
this is how we do it now 90s pop GIF by NOW That's Music

Ok so I'm a bit bummed about the roland cloud soundpacks / wave expansions subscriptions / lifetime keys.

Basically anything you load up in the extra 256 slots will get overwritten each time you load them slots with something else from the roland cloud system, but here's the thing... if you went and made a scene / preset with those, then once you over ride those sounds that were in those slots you used to make scenes / presets with, then it'll mess all of them up with the new sounds you loaded.

Basically it's only good to make scenes with the internal 1,200+ sounds so they won't get over written.

The soundpacks and wave expansions are nice if you need some extra sounds for something you're working on in studio or live or plan on not over writing the slots they went too, but don't make scenes / presets with them and over write the slots later with more sounds because they won't sound the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this? I already wrote one scene with some sounds from a sound pack and don't wanna lose it lol.
Maybe this isn't a real fix but can't you use LiveSets to at least preserve them?

or use something other than pitch detection where sensors are built into the neck/frets.

Evenif we're talking about the niche-st of the niche-st things here, I'm still kinda surprised nobody has ever tried this more seriously after the Synthaxe. Maybe they were afraid to fail as miserably or so. But I could pretty much imagine this to work on existing guitars as well (replacement neck, frets or some clever sort of inlay/overlay), so the risk of completely burning a lot of your money would be considerably lower.
I only played a Synthaxe once, tons of moons ago, but I still remember how remarkably killing the tracking was, compared to my GK3/GI-10 combination. Apart from some things that just don't translate well in guitar-to-MIDI land (such as scratches, slides, rakes, some bends, etc.), you could almost play normally and didn't have to go for a super clean technique. Guess I'd buy a replacement neck with pre-cabled electronics more or less in a heartbeat.

Evenif we're talking about the niche-st of the niche-st things here, I'm still kinda surprised nobody has ever tried this more seriously after the Synthaxe. Maybe they were afraid to fail as miserably or so. But I could pretty much imagine this to work on existing guitars as well (replacement neck, frets or some clever sort of inlay/overlay), so the risk of completely burning a lot of your money would be considerably lower.
I only played a Synthaxe once, tons of moons ago, but I still remember how remarkably killing the tracking was, compared to my GK3/GI-10 combination. Apart from some things that just don't translate well in guitar-to-MIDI land (such as scratches, slides, rakes, some bends, etc.), you could almost play normally and didn't have to go for a super clean technique. Guess I'd buy a replacement neck with pre-cabled electronics more or less in a heartbeat.
Starr Labs ZTar does this.

So how are those 1,200 internal sounds? :LOL:
I am only able to audition them with a keyboard controller however listening to them with my mind focused on the attack with my ‘picking hand‘ in mind I think the 100 presets have more to offer, by a large margin, than any other Roland or Boss guitar triggered device. Then consider those presets are built from 1200 loaded sounds that can be edited with a broader/deeper scope than any previous device and used separately or in new combinations, I’d say the GM800 is at least 100 times better stocked…cloud inventory not even factored in.

I am only able to audition them with a keyboard controller however listening to them with my mind focused on the attack with my ‘picking hand‘ in mind I think the 100 presets have more to offer, by a large margin, than any other Roland or Boss guitar triggered device. Then consider those presets are built from 1200 loaded sounds that can be edited with a broader/deeper scope than any previous device and used separately or in new combinations, I’d say the GM800 is at least 100 times better stocked…cloud inventory not even factored in.

Honestly I’m kinda hoping (as a noob to guitar synths) the presets will be enough to keep me busy for while. I don’t want to have to go into deep tweak mode right off the bat.

Honestly I’m kinda hoping (as a noob to guitar synths) the presets will be enough to keep me busy for while. I don’t want to have to go into deep tweak mode right off the bat.
I think there is a lot of inspiration in the factory presets. I started saving the ones that had me thinking of song ideas right away to a new Liveset for when my GK5 arrives. I was saving them at a much higher ratio than I ever did with SY1000 or GR55 etc.

Back