GM-800 Pros-Cons

Pros
Small footprint
Very good 1200 sound selection
Intuitive UI
Somewhat improved overall tracking
Good guitar-to-MIDI tracking

Cons
Small size leads to many compromises (No power button, no GK-2/3 input, no tuner panel button, No tap tempo)
Low Output Volume
MIDI Settings are not saved per scene/No keyboard override mode
No MIDI note note source “all” setting
No individual MIDI channels per string
Only 150 Scenes onboard
RC/Zencore subscription or lifetime key required for user sound creation

The lack of a per scene MIDI settings or a global note source "all" setting is a major PITA and disappointment. It means when recording MIDI into a DAW, you need to keep switching the note setting back and forth from GK into USB to record and playback respectively. It also means you can't use both a MIDI keyboard and your GK equipped guitar at the same time. Not what I was hoping for. There's a "custom" setting that allows each part the have it's own note source but it kinda not practical to use because it limits the amount of layers and splits you can create per scene per control source.

I just heard from Sweetwater rep. He said 'brace for end of this month' for GK5 shipping time frame.
'No word from Boss' as to why.

Anyone know how to get FTP (wireless) to output midi over USB through a MacBook? I'm not smart enough apparently...

I just heard from Sweetwater rep. He said 'brace for end of this month' for GK5 shipping time frame.

Anyone know how to get FTP (wireless) to output midi over USB through a MacBook? I'm not smart enough apparently...

I sorta look at that as a good thing now, so we can get more of a feel from the people that got in on it early.

That said it’s beyond dumb to not have the pickup ready with the actual unit.

funny videos fail GIF

I sorta look at that as a good thing now, so we can get more of a feel from the people that got in on it early.

That said it’s beyond dumb to not have the pickup ready with the actual unit.

funny videos fail GIF
Yea, when I ordered it I noticed an hour or two later that the pickup wasn't included and had a seriously loud (in my head) WTF?!? moment.

Roland told my local store in WV that next week the pickups should be in, as they shipped 2 days ago.

Aha! I found out why the gm-800 seems low in volume, or lower then I think it should be. If you press "menu" on each scene / preset, then go to "Scene edit" there's a "master" option there and in there is a scene level option and a lot of them are set low. So basically a master level for each scene hides in that area!

Some first impressions and disappointments;

GM-800 Pros-Cons

Pros
Small footprint
Very good 1200 sound selection
Intuitive UI
Somewhat improved overall tracking
Good guitar-to-MIDI tracking

Cons
Small size leads to many compromises (No power button, no GK-2/3 input, no tuner panel button, No tap tempo)
Low Output Volume
MIDI Settings are not saved per scene/No keyboard override mode
No MIDI note note source “all” setting
No individual MIDI channels per string
Only 150 Scenes onboard
RC/Zencore subscription or lifetime key required for user sound creation

The lack of a per scene MIDI settings or a global note source "all" setting is a major PITA and disappointment. It means when recording MIDI into a DAW, you need to keep switching the note setting back and forth from GK into USB to record and playback respectively. It also means you can't use both a MIDI keyboard and your GK equipped guitar at the same time. Not what I was hoping for. There's a "custom" setting that allows each part the have it's own note source but it kinda not practical to use because it limits the amount of layers and splits you can create per scene per control source.
So wait, am I understanding correctly that one mode is "USB MIDI controller mode", and then one is "USB audio mode", and you've got to switch back and forth in the menus?

So wait, am I understanding correctly that one mode is "USB MIDI controller mode", and then one is "USB audio mode", and you've got to switch back and forth in the menus?

It has a note source setting where you pick GK, MIDI, USB, or CUSTOM. But there's no way to merge input sources for all 4 parts like with an "ALL" setting. Dumb, plain dumb (insert screaming Ct Kirk guy here).

Why is it that even when you play a very good synth like the GM-800 with guitar it still sounds like a guitar synth lol ?

Why is it that even when you play a very good synth like the GM-800 with guitar it still sounds like a guitar synth lol ?
Brush up on your two handed tapping? :D It's tough, man. That's why when I record a piano part, I do two tracks: one "right hand" and one "left hand". It tends to sound more natural.

IMHO it's all about note choice & phrasing. You have to play like that instrument would play it. I've been working on my keyboard skills to that end. It's just easier to play some things with the right tool and piano parts need a piano. That said, as a former GR-55 user I'm interested in the GM-800. I wouldn't use it for everything like I used the GR-55 in the past. For example, I think I could play a better sax or violin solo using a guitar compared to a keyboard. I'll still keep at they keyboard for keyboard parts (obviously) and other things like string sections where you simply can't get the range or combination of notes on a guitar easily.

Brush up on your two handed tapping? :D It's tough, man. That's why when I record a piano part, I do two tracks: one "right hand" and one "left hand". It tends to sound more natural.

IMHO it's all about note choice & phrasing. You have to play like that instrument would play it. I've been working on my keyboard skills to that end. It's just easier to play some things with the right tool and piano parts need a piano. That said, as a former GR-55 user I'm interested in the GM-800. I wouldn't use it for everything like I used the GR-55 in the past. For example, I think I could play a better sax or violin solo using a guitar compared to a keyboard. I'll still keep at they keyboard for keyboard parts (obviously) and other things like string sections where you simply can't get the range or combination of notes on a guitar easily.

It's the reason why I play keys and wind synth. The articulation is just different. It's also the reason I like blending guitar and synth sounds as like a big effect on guitar without trying to mimic anything else.

It's the reason why I play keys and wind synth. The articulation is just different. It's also the reason I like blending guitar and synth sounds as like a big effect on guitar without trying to mimic anything else.
I think I'm going to get another MIDI controller, and take another shot and learning keys, at least for what I want to use synths for. I still want the GM-800 though.

Back