Boss GM-800 and GK-5

One thing I have noticed though is that the gk-5 shell, the part you plug the trs serial cable into does get a little bit warm. Never noticed the gk-2a or gk-3 ever getting warm.

1ft'r and 15ft'r ordered from BTPA. GK5 incoming. Wireless ordered and octave pedal bid submitted.
Getting Ready Lets Go GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Got the 2 rocker switches for the gm-800 and meris lvx today and got them connected and works great. Hopefully they are safe and last long.
The one for eventide H90 will be here tomorrow.

Everything arrived....

Was quickly disabused of my idea of "quick-starting" with the TriplePlay just to hear the GM-800; eventually got the two to co-operate but it seems to require MIDI channel assignments that I don't have the patience for...

So it's on to installing the GK-5 -- only to realize just how atrocious the doc is for that. There's the one-page manual I posted earlier, which really wants you to watch their videos....which are so simplistic as to be useless.

Maybe I'm just cranky about all things Boss after reading this in the firmware update instructions: "We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document."

Installing the pickup didn't go according to plan. Two of my guitars have mounts for Triple Play, so I didn't want to touch those. LP-style Variax wouldn't work because I don't think the GK-5 bracket would fit the studs.

The only guitar left was the Strat. Apparently my action was very low because I couldn't even slide the GK under the strings....so I hastily cranked the action up until I had just enough clearance. By then, I just wanted to get my sax on so I gorilla-taped the GK into place; a couple of thin strips across the "ears" of the pickup seems to be enough to hold it (and in fact it held overnight).

[I only did that because of the Strat's plastic pick-guard. Have to say that while it's my least favorite, least played guitar, I still marvel at how well engineered it is.]

First impressions are good, but I've only made it thru the first 20 presets......there's an effin ton of stuff to explore... Probably explains why people stop posting as much when their GM-800 arrives.... :rofl

Installing the pickup didn't go according to plan. Two of my guitars have mounts for Triple Play, so I didn't want to touch those. LP-style Variax wouldn't work because I don't think the GK-5 bracket would fit the studs.

The only guitar left was the Strat. Apparently my action was very low because I couldn't even slide the GK under the strings....so I hastily cranked the action up until I had just enough clearance. By then, I just wanted to get my sax on so I gorilla-taped the GK into place; a couple of thin strips across the "ears" of the pickup seems to be enough to hold it (and in fact it held overnight).

[I only did that because of the Strat's plastic pick-guard. Have to say that while it's my least favorite, least played guitar, I still marvel at how well engineered it is.]

First impressions are good, but I've only made it thru the first 20 presets......there's an effin ton of stuff to explore... Probably explains why people stop posting as much when their GM-800 arrives.... :rofl

So much stuff to do with the gm-800 indeed... I've had it almost 2 weeks and all I've been doing is mainly making and playing sound packs from zenology pro. Now I just got it hooked up with my sy-1000 and things are even more wilder!

I've rebuilt all my gigging GR presets pretty quickly.

For you cover band guys: The pianos are almost usable on their own; depending on the parts needing to be played. Don't Stop Believing has a hair too much "playing ahead to decrease anticipated latency" but something like 9 to 5 is pretty damn rock solid.

"playing ahead to decrease anticipated latency"
Yeah, it's quite strange: some presets seem rock solid and feel great -- even some of the piano ones.

But there are other presets that should be similar and yet I can't seem to get out of my own way because the timing feels weird. I'm trying not to overthink it yet because "latency" is such a trigger-word for us guitarists....

If I had to sum it up so far, I'd agree with Brock that the tracking is really good. Any glitches or ghost notes have all been understandably my fault. The only thing I'm not quite sure of yet is the latency on the low-end of the 6th string . And that's with my duct-taped pickup and fully default GK settings in the GM-800.

Regardless, I'm having a lot of fun!

Yeah, it's quite strange: some presets seem rock solid and feel great -- even some of the piano ones.

But there are other presets that should be similar and yet I can't seem to get out of my own way because the timing feels weird. I'm trying not to overthink it yet because "latency" is such a trigger-word for us guitarists....

If I had to sum it up so far, I'd agree with Brock that the tracking is really good. Any glitches or ghost notes have all been understandably my fault. The only thing I'm not quite sure of yet is the latency on the low-end of the 6th string . And that's with my duct-taped pickup and fully default GK settings in the GM-800.

Regardless, I'm having a lot of fun!

Don't forget to play with the settings under "OTHER" like chromatic type and legato switch etc.. Those make a difference depending on what sound you are using.

Also when playing sound packs, or presets etc.. if you're looking for more volume out of it, there's the part level, and then under menu and scene edit there's a scene level, also if you under tone select there's a pedal pos parameter which I have noticed was down sometimes checking out sounds and you can turn it up for more volume.

Ugh, boss really needs to implement a LOAD ALL feature for the import tone section. This adding them one by one worries me about my knobs not working right. I'm already getting issues where when I go turn the knob it doesn't do anything, but not sure if that is hardware related or software related. It's tiring trying to load 100+ or so of tones one by one. Stupid that someone didn't think about a load all feature.

Back