Boss GM-800 and GK-5

I had no idea you were so formidable.

were not worthy waynes world GIF
LOL I wish. I’d keep some of it for myself too, if that were the case.

Ok, I fixed my other issue with Tone Studio and found a bug. When launching Tone Studio, the connect to device dialog box comes up as expected. But if you have more than 7 available selections, there's no way to scroll down to the bottom. You need to pick an incorrect one and wait for an error message come up with another try again selection dialog box that does allow for scrolling to the bottom.

Ok, I fixed my other issue with Tone Studio and found a bug. When launching Tone Studio, the connect to device dialog box comes up as expected. But if you have more than 7 available selections, there's no way to scroll down to the bottom. You need to pick an incorrect one and wait for an error message come up with another try again selection dialog box that does allow for scrolling to the bottom.
I’m sure Boss will get that fixed ASAP

Uh Oh Omg GIF by ESPN

All this advanced connectivity in rigs designed by NASA talk is cool and all, but…

DOES IT SOUND GOOD?

Just made my first patch with 4 parts. Titled it "Galaxy Keys". Bit of some cosmic synth sound with some keys on top of it, but in a more trippy way. Ctl 1 makes it a octave higher and Ctl 2 turns some portamento on and vibrato depth on for some trippy vibes!

Last edited:
My new favorite thing is the fretboard splitting positions. I can have one partial sound playing from fret 1 to 5 only, and another partial sound doing frets 6 to 10 and another partial sound doing frets 11 to 22 and even have a partial sound doing open strings only. I don't recall if other boss synths had this feature or if they did, I totally missed it lol. I mean I know you could always do different sounds on different strings, but I don't recall ever doing it on different fret positions!

My new favorite thing is the fretboard splitting positions. I can have one partial sound playing from fret 1 to 5 only, and another partial sound doing frets 6 to 10 and another partial sound doing frets 11 to 22 and even have a partial sound doing open strings only. I don't recall if other boss synths had this feature or if they did, I totally missed it lol. I mean I know you could always do different sounds on different strings, but I don't recall ever doing it on different fret positions!
Fretboard splits were always one the best FTP features. Great that Roland/Boss finally caught up.

Would RMC hex pickups be an upgrade over the GK5 on an electric guitar?
considering I’m sitting here with GM-800 and no GK-anything the idea has me getting all itchy…

Oh right. I don’t think that’s Brock though, is it?
No, he posted the video though. I was hoping someone would know if the RMC is as good or better. I’m guessing in that video it is piezo since it looks like a nylon string. I haven’t looked at RMC in many years but there they are mated with a GM800. Not exactly a good example as far as tracking/latency in that video though, seems like the voice on the synth is just strings in back ground, player modulating pick up or mix level on a pot inside sound hole etc
but considering supply chain issues for GK-5, if RMC is improved and can replace GK-5 for steel strings, it would be good to know…

No, he posted the video though. I was hoping someone would know if the RMC is as good or better. I’m guessing in that video it is piezo since it looks like a nylon string. I haven’t looked at RMC in many years but there they are mated with a GM800. Not exactly a good example as far as tracking/latency in that video though, seems like the voice on the synth is just strings in back ground, player modulating pick up or mix level on a pot inside sound hole etc
but considering supply chain issues for GK-5, if RMC is improved and can replace GK-5 for steel strings, it would be good to know…
I would recommend just staying away from the Graphtech one though. Did not have a good experience with the Ghost setup. Lots of glitches.

Back