Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Same. I'm putting gm-800 in the fx loop of sy-1000. Use the sy-1000 for 3 instrument modelling paths mainly (maybe some synths if needed for layers) and the gm-800 will go directly on the guitar path inside gm-800, and i can also run wireless to my line 6 helix for guitar related stuff if needed.
I'm seeing annual rates for 4 different access levels of Roland Cloud, nothing about lifetime access for a one time price.

It looks like Zenology Pro is their software synth plug in that has the historical catalog of all Roland synths. But are the sounds and patches of Zenology Pro something you can load into the GM-800? Or only make use of when playing the plug in?
Alex from Roland at the end of one of his videos -he shows you how to export patches from Zenology Pro and load them into the GM-800 via usb thumb drive.

Once you download the expansions and transfer them into GM-800 they're yours. You don't need to continuously subscribe.

So there's no call home when connecting to use an editor? Wow. And these are true expansions correct, not just presets?

Roland Cloud is anything but confusing. Once you load anything to a thumb drive and then into another synth or whatever, it's yours. Paid subscription over a continuous basis is only required for access their plug ins and Zenology Pro editor. You can buy lifetime keys to those.

My experience is that you'll find the 1200 presets on the GM-800 a lot to dig into. This especially true when you start layering them with the 4 parts. For any cover band gig, there are more than enough to do almost anything you'll need. My Fantom keyboard has the presets and doesn't take long to find something useful and/or layer up something fatter. It's only when you want to do sound design on your own that Zenology Pro is needed for the GM-800.

As for the expansion packs, It wouldn't be surprised it some point Roland/Boss offered them in a FW upgrade down the line. Moral is, take you time and don't rush in to buying everything offered.

Long thread here on RC is required reading;

So there's no call home when connecting to use an editor? Wow. And these are true expansions correct, not just presets?

The GM-800 doesn't have WiFi. How's it gonna phone home? Once the sounds are in the box it's there till you delete it.

I've already been loading sound packs in my gm-800... have had 2 or 3 that wouldn't for some reason, also expansions won't load for some reason, keep getting errors but I'll keep trying. I have the $10 a month zenology pro option.

I've already been loading sound packs in my gm-800... have had 2 or 3 that wouldn't for some reason, also expansions won't load for some reason, keep getting errors but I'll keep trying. I have the $10 a month zenology pro option.
Cool, hopefully it works - there seems to be a slight mix of what level of compatibility Roland has with their various hardware - the MC101 doesn't support the Zenology Model Expansions for example (I really want that Juno-106 expansion on my hardware!) - so maybe with the GM-800 they are including more.

Just getting connected. Wiring is clunky as hell. I'm having some sound issues. Not sure yet what's happening. Need to go into my personal troubleshooting mode. I have an eye doctor appt today. I'll have to work on this later.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Last edited:
I'm setting up boss fs-5u switches for my stuff right now and labeling them with tape etc.. Got 6 of them. 2 of them will go with the boss sy-1000 as footswitch 3 and 4 and then it'll also have a foot expression controller. The gm-800 will have 4 fs-5u switches for ctl 3,4,5,6 since it doesn't have as many footswitches as sy-1000 has.

At the time of this posting... I have other pedals around like line 6 helix, meris lvx, eventide h90, empress zoia, but didn't include them into the picture. Only thing that will change in the future will be me putting gk-5 pickup on the prs se guitar and getting a gkc-da converter instead of the gkc-ad, so i can play the sy-1000 and gm-800 together hopefully soon when the pickup comes.

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-SvZ334zW4TgKVj.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-zEUVtNOodA.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-zmTWfh56yPR7.jpg

Ok something that bugs me a little. When importing tones via usb memory, there's no way to know if you already added a tone from a certain sound pack unless you scroll through your list. Boss should implement some sort of error like "TONE ALREADY EXISTS" when trying to add something of the same name.

Ok so I opened zenology pro plug-in in my DAW and went through some SDZ sound packs and saved 7 zencore sounds from different sound packs into a bank of my own called "BROCKSTAR". Also threw in 3 JP-800 sounds from the plug in and it exported it to a svz file format on desktop. I popped it onto my usb stick, stuck it in gm-800, and 7 of them only showed. The 3 jp-800 didn't show up, so I'm assuming you cannot save anything from model expansion plug-ins?

Sadly the output is not working on mine. I even plugged in an external MIDI keyboard. Nothing happening

Display reads input is there but no output. GK CONNECT indicator on the GKC-AD is solid green. Tried balanced and unbalance output cable. Tried headphones. No go. Tried USB audio into Logic. Logic sees the GM-800 indicating the driver is installed properly, but still no sound. Also the GM-800 Tone Studio doesn't find the GM-800.

SY-1000 sitting next to GM-800 works fine with same cables. I don't yet have the proper GK digital cable. I tried 3 other plain old TRS cables. They all show as being connected on the GKC-AD and the GM-800 display reads input signal. I don't think that is where the issue lies, but I'll be glad to proven wrong soon. In the meantime, I'll keep debugging. Not the NGSD experience I was hoping for ;-/

Sadly the output is not working on mine. I even plugged in an external MIDI keyboard. Nothing happening

Display reads input is there but no output. GK CONNECT indicator on the GKC-AD is solid green. Tried balanced and unbalance output cable. Tried headphones. No go. Tried USB audio into Logic. Logic sees the GM-800 indicating the driver is installed properly, but still no sound. Also the GM-800 Tone Studio doesn't find the GM-800.

SY-1000 sitting next to GM-800 works fine with same cables. I don't yet have the proper GK digital cable. I tried 3 other plain old TRS cables. They all show as being connected on the GKC-AD and the GM-800 display reads input signal. I don't think that is where the issue lies, but I'll be glad to proven wrong soon. In the meantime, I'll keep debugging. Not the NGSD experience I was hoping for ;-/

When trying midi keyboard, did you change the note source to midi under midi settings? I also changed all the other things to channel 1

Sorry to hear you’re having issues. :(

Back