Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Ok BOSS GM-800 first impression (after using it for over a hour) using gk-2a pickup and gkc-ad converter into the unit. Loving it, however the stock sounds don't do the unit justice. Plenty of nice stuff still but the stuff I was playing with in zenology pro before I got the unit is much better, so it'll be more amazing once I fill the gm-800 with stuff from there.

As for ghost notes, way less then gr-55 from what i remember. However mono mode in gm-800 is a little off putting / weird, but I have to play with the settings more to figure more things out.

However i don't know if it's me or the unit, but the unit seems low in volume? I do have ear issues especially past year and past 2 days been worse then others, as some days are better than others, but I just feel like it's lower in volume than it should be but maybe it's me. Don't hold me to that.

Also why no on/off power button on this gm-800 and no on/off button on the converters? Seems weird there's no on / off button at least on the gm-800 like they have on their other synth products.

NOTE: Using a cheap 13-pin cable will cause notes to stick and ring out and not able to use the volume or s1 / s2 switching on the gk-2a / gk-3 pickup even after setting it up, so make sure you use a quality roland cable. I tried a cheap thin one and that is what happened but then once I switched to a roland one, everything worked.

Ok back to playing a little more for tonight. More info to come as I get used too it.
How much is all the zenology stuff?

You download the roland cloud app on computer, sign up etc.. then open app and you can buy from the app, and once bought, you download content onto computer from packs and expansions and then put on usb drive to insert into gm-800 etc.
This right here is super cool.

I'm definitely going to switch over to gk-5 pickup once it comes. Local shop says next week they should arrive, and i'll exchange the gkc-ad converter for the gkc-da converter and get another serial cable. Just don't need this gk-2a and gk-13 pin stuff, but i was excited and didn't wanna wait for the new pickup, so grabbed the rest of the stuff just so i can play the new gm-800 for a bit lol.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-08 at 18.49.39.jpg

You download the roland cloud app on computer, sign up etc.. then open app and you can buy from the app, and once bought, you download content onto computer from packs and expansions and then put on usb drive to insert into gm-800 etc.

If you get the “pro” sub do you have to buy anything at that point or do you have access to everything?

I have pro and it gives me zenology pro plug-in, plus bunch of other plug-ins you get to use in your DAW, and gave me access to download all sound packs and expansions from every category in the roland cloud app etc..

Wait...am I understanding correctly that there's not a way to straight up buy an expansion, you have to subscribe indefinitely? Not a fan of that business model.

Wait...am I understanding correctly that there's not a way to straight up buy an expansion, you have to subscribe indefinitely? Not a fan of that business model.
You can buy expansions separately with “lifetime licenses” - they range from $5-$20 a pop for expansions. Zenology Pro is $229 for a lifetime license.

You can buy expansions separately with “lifetime licenses” - they range from $10-$25 a pop for expansions. Zenology Pro is $229 for a lifetime license.
And these are true expansions (new samples/models), not just synth presets correct?

And these are true expansions (new samples/models), not just synth presets correct?

The “sound packs” are composed of presets with a drum kit or two which has small selection of samples but if I remember right the samples can’t be used outside of a zencore compatible device.

I’m not sure about the “wave expansions”as they aren’t compatible with my MC101 but those appear to be additional sounds.

I'm seeing annual rates for 4 different access levels of Roland Cloud, nothing about lifetime access for a one time price.

It looks like Zenology Pro is their software synth plug in that has the historical catalog of all Roland synths. But are the sounds and patches of Zenology Pro something you can load into the GM-800? Or only make use of when playing the plug in?

So you transfer packs using a thumb drive? (Nothing proprietary)

Fondly remembers the QC wireless updates, backups, and downloads. #gamechanger

Once you download the expansions and transfer them into GM-800 they're yours. You don't need to continuously subscribe.
Are you sure about that? I had the Core subscription for a while and I’m pretty sure it didn’t let me download the sound packs locally to be able to transfer to my MC101 - so I ended up buying a couple. If it does work, I know what I’m doing this weekend!

I'm seeing annual rates for 4 different access levels of Roland Cloud, nothing about lifetime access for a one time price.

It looks like Zenology Pro is their software synth plug in that has the historical catalog of all Roland synths. But are the sounds and patches of Zenology Pro something you can load into the GM-800? Or only make use of when playing the plug in?
This page has all the lifetime key pricing in a table at the bottom - it’s all a la carte for lifetime licenses, and I think it’s only the zencore stuff that applies to the GM800:

Back