Boss GM-800 and GK-5

I'll definitely able to directly a/b GM-800 vs SY-1000 with the rig I'm putting together. I'm also looking forward to pairing them up.

Same. I'm putting gm-800 in the fx loop of sy-1000. Use the sy-1000 for 3 instrument modelling paths mainly (maybe some synths if needed for layers) and the gm-800 will go directly on the guitar path inside gm-800, and i can also run wireless to my line 6 helix for guitar related stuff if needed.

Same. I'm putting gm-800 in the fx loop of sy-1000. Use the sy-1000 for 3 instrument modelling paths mainly (maybe some synths if needed for layers) and the gm-800 will go directly on the guitar path inside gm-800, and i can also run wireless to my line 6 helix for guitar related stuff if needed.
I was going to run the GM-800 into the SY-1000 FX loop, but I think I'm going to use a separate mixer instead. Easier signal path and less tweaking.

Yeah but that's not really accurate as the pitch detection will be slower on lower notes than higher. So while down at the lowest notes on the E string probably going to be significantly noticeable if playing fast runs. Up higher on the neck not so much.

Plus...this is a way, way different situation than the typical latency discussion, this is whether one is willing to accept some latency to essentially play a sax or violin. We're already dipping way into the tonal uncanny valley here where the alternative is learning a secondary instrument (if one doesn't play keyboards).

From a physics perspective, there will always be latency in a pitch detection situation. The only way around it is to try and guess at the pitch which results in more errors or use something other than pitch detection where sensors are built into the neck/frets.
Learned something new today!

Why is that?

Classic Film Time GIF by Warner Archive

stephen hawking GIF by nerdo

Because pitch detection requires analysis of a wavelength (technically a partial wavelength after which it can accurately predict the frequency) and a lower note's wavelength is longer than a higher one.

Longer as in over “time” … 😉

Similar to why there will always be latency for pitch shifters of any sort.

I'm not an audio developer...but I think with a "dumb" shifter where everything is purely being transposed up or down I do not believe there is any actual pitch detection going on (which I think is how polyphonic pitch shifting works). For example, we know an octave up is exactly 2X the frequency of input no matter the specific pitch. I think the latency in this case is processing the waveform where there is the potential to reduce latency with increased processing power. That's different than needing to specifically detect/determine a pitch.

Longer as in over “time” … 😉

Yep.

ARGH............. so Gm-800, serial cables, and converter boxes showed up at my local dealer but not the pickup. Wtf is boss / roland doing over there? The order was all placed in the same day when it was launched, yet the bass pick-up came yesterday, this stuff comes today but with no gk-5 pickups etc.. Why wouldn't they have shipped it all in the same boxes and stuff? Makes no sense! So here's hoping the dang pickup shows tomorrow or very soon!

I'm not an audio developer...but I think with a "dumb" shifter where everything is purely being transposed up or down I do not believe there is any actual pitch detection going on (which I think is how polyphonic pitch shifting works). For example, we know an octave up is exactly 2X the frequency of input no matter the specific pitch. I think the latency in this case is processing the waveform where there is the potential to reduce latency with increased processing power. That's different than needing to specifically detect/determine a pitch.

Yep.
Dunno, I’m not an audio dev either. I just remember Cliff from FAS saying something very similar for poly pitch shifting as well.

ok roland told shop that gk-5 pickup is back ordered and it'll be another week or so...

So i said i'll just take the gm-800, the gkc-ad converter box instead, and serial cable and i'll just use my gk-2a and forget about the new pickup. So brother is heading to shop to get the stuff for me!
Looking forward to hearing both you play and your impressions.

Well crap now I have no way to hook both sy-1000 and gm-800 together.

If I'm running gk-2a out to the 13-pin in on the converter box, the serial out goes to the gm-800, there's nowhere to go out to the sy-1000, so looks like i can't use them both together.

So now it looks like i'll need US-20... Maybe I should have just waited for new pickup, which would allow me to use both units at same time.\

Why boss not put a gk-13 out on the gkc-ad? They totally missed the mark on that.

Last edited:
Does buying the GM800 give you access to the zen core cloud content other than having a piece of hardware to make use of content?
I guess my question is, should I wait to go explore it lest I end up buying some level of access that will be free to me once my GM800 gets delivered?

Yep.

Aside from the minimum latency due to note frequency, pitch detection is complicated because a guitar does not produce a simple sine wave for any note that you play. There are always additional harmonics and they can often dominate the fundamental so determining the intended pitch(es) is not so straightforward. That's where lots of weird glitches and artifacts come from. Even the Roland/Boss VG/SY gizmos suffer from this from time to time - as do the Variax and the EHX "9" series.

Please post latency results and any thoughts based on other pitch to MIDI devices?
While I'll get into that eventually, my first priority will be seeing how well I can use GM-800 in a live rig with SY-1000 and my Arturia Keylab MKII keyboard controller. I'm more concerned about how easily it will be to manage all those sounds at gigs.

Ok BOSS GM-800 first impression (after using it for over a hour) using gk-2a pickup and gkc-ad converter into the unit. Loving it, however the stock sounds don't do the unit justice. Plenty of nice stuff still but the stuff I was playing with in zenology pro before I got the unit is much better, so it'll be more amazing once I fill the gm-800 with stuff from there.

As for ghost notes, way less then gr-55 from what i remember. However mono mode in gm-800 is a little off putting / weird, but I have to play with the settings more to figure more things out.

However i don't know if it's me or the unit, but the unit seems low in volume? I do have ear issues especially past year and past 2 days been worse then others, as some days are better than others, but I just feel like it's lower in volume than it should be but maybe it's me. Don't hold me to that.

Also why no on/off power button on this gm-800 and no on/off button on the converters? Seems weird there's no on / off button at least on the gm-800 like they have on their other synth products.

NOTE: Using a cheap 13-pin cable will cause notes to stick and ring out and not able to use the volume or s1 / s2 switching on the gk-2a / gk-3 pickup even after setting it up, so make sure you use a quality roland cable. I tried a cheap thin one and that is what happened but then once I switched to a roland one, everything worked.

Ok back to playing a little more for tonight. More info to come as I get used too it.

Back