Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Some other putz at TGP posted numbers that indicate it IS NOT FASTER than than the Fishman Tripleplay.

(I don’t know paisleywookie personally, but he seems like a man-child dick).
They are in this forum, heck this thread. Really cool person imo. But this isn't the place for that.

How I learned to stop worrying about latency....on a product we've yet to get familiar with....
  • The modelers from Boss seem to have a really good reputation for latency, so clearly it's something they focus on...
  • At 120 bpm, 15ms is a 1/128th note, 30ms is a 1/64th note. Enough to make a difference?
    Maybe....I'm willing to wait and see...
Note that I just picked those numbers kind of randomly; I wanted to get a sense for what various possible latencies might correspond to musically...

Hope that helps; with that, I'm no longer fence-sitting and am patiently waiting for it to arrive...

Some other putz at TGP posted numbers that indicate it IS NOT FASTER than than the Fishman Tripleplay.

(I don’t know paisleywookie personally, but he seems like a man-child dick).
I don't know you either, but you seem like a prick. Welcome!

Perhaps it's not faster than the FTP, however given the issues with the FTP, and the GM-800 seeming close in performance without the frustration, I'd say it's a worthwhile trade-off.

Paisleywookie is losing it sending me direct messages. He thinks I’m Germanicus. Do they have a rift going on?
You have a total of 4 messages here (all of them adding absolutely nothing to the conversation and bashing a long standing member). I don't care who you are, you are adding absolutely nothing to this topic. In fact, you are taking away from it.

tumblr_n6z1678ULS1tw7z32o1_500.gif

Mostly just quality of tracking, internal sounds quality, and how well it records into a DAW via USB.
Tracking with the GK-3 and GKC-AD will get my attention. Although, I'm not one to concern myself with milliseconds of minutia. If it works well, I'll make it work for me. I already know it sounds good based on my Fantom and AE-30 ownership. The SY-1000 records audio via USB very well. I expect the same thing from GM-800. External MIDI recording I'm very skeptical of. We'll see.

Is Phil Jackson the best coach the NBA has ever seen or simply fortunate enough to have coached a handful of the greatest players of the modern era?
Yes ;)

Tracking with the GK-3 and GKC-AD will get my attention. Although, I'm not one to concern myself with milliseconds of minutia. If it works well, I'll make it work for me. I already know it sounds good based on my Fantom and AE-30 ownership. The SY-1000 records audio via USB very well. I expect the same thing from GM-800. External MIDI recording I'm very skeptical of. We'll see.

Yes ;)
Yeah, I'm not worried about scientific tests so much as I am seat of the pants "does it feel as quick/accurate as the SY-1000" sort of thing.

One thing I find weird is how BOSS works. They release a product and you don't hear / see anything about it ever or for a long time. Like they posted about it the day they announced it and that is all. You would think like other companies they would post about the product they are pushing a bit more, especially in the coming weeks or months after release so that they'd get rid of more but they just go silent lol. Not one new post about the gm-800 on their social media pages anywhere since launch.

• At 120 bpm, 15ms is a 1/128th note, 30ms is a 1/64th note. Enough to make a difference?
    Maybe....I'm willing to wait and see...
I think so, but it's easy to determine if would affect you: Set a delay to 15ms., full wet mix, and play.
30ms...? Most definitely.

I think so, but it's easy to determine if would affect you: Set a delay to 15ms., full wet mix, and play.
30ms...? Most definitely.

Yeah but that's not really accurate as the pitch detection will be slower on lower notes than higher. So while down at the lowest notes on the E string probably going to be significantly noticeable if playing fast runs. Up higher on the neck not so much.

Plus...this is a way, way different situation than the typical latency discussion, this is whether one is willing to accept some latency to essentially play a sax or violin. We're already dipping way into the tonal uncanny valley here where the alternative is learning a secondary instrument (if one doesn't play keyboards).

From a physics perspective, there will always be latency in a pitch detection situation. The only way around it is to try and guess at the pitch which results in more errors or use something other than pitch detection where sensors are built into the neck/frets.

Back