Boss GM-800 and GK-5

I wonder what it’s like going through life as a walking, talking dildo? Maybe I’ll ask this guy.

1691449375155.png

So while my SW order is shipping, they don't have the digital cable until next week. The custom short cable I ordered from BTPA also isn't shipping till next week. I guess I can plug in my keys until then. Oh the irony.
Have we heard if a halfway decent 15’ TRS cable will work with the GM-800? I’m waiting for the BOSS cable ordered from B&H, but i may receive the unit before the cable. Well assuming the GK5 comes with my GM-800 order.

There are MAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNY dumb fucking things I yell at Boss for. This situation, despite irritating me; is not one of them.

The whole pitch to midi thing is such a non-thing for me. If you are working in the DAW; just use the fucking piano roll and draw in the notes. The whole "NO ONE WANTS THEIR GUITAR TO SOUND LIKE A BANANA HERE'S MY 97 MINUT SOLO ALBUM OF A GTR PRETEDNING TO BE THERMIN DON'T YOU LIKE IT?" is fucking stupid as fuck as well.

It's been a long Monday :grin:clint:whistle

There are MAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNY dumb fucking things I yell at Boss for. This situation, despite irritating me; is not one of them.

The whole pitch to midi thing is such a non-thing for me. If you are working in the DAW; just use the fucking piano roll and draw in the notes. The whole "NO ONE WANTS THEIR GUITAR TO SOUND LIKE A BANANA HERE'S MY 97 MINUT SOLO ALBUM OF A GTR PRETEDNING TO BE THERMIN DON'T YOU LIKE IT?" is fucking stupid as fuck as well.

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Office

Oh that’s the point of contention? Strictly pitch to MIDI? It’s got sounds built in. Just use that. Or track both at the same time, clean up the MIDI later. It’s not like the FTP wasn’t a brutal lesson in frustration, and unlike the GR series, had no “in the box” fallback.

I wonder what it’s like going through life as a walking, talking dildo? Maybe I’ll ask this guy.

View attachment 9659
Translation: Where's the wireless gk pickup that you need to recharge every other hour of use if it even works at all. Where's the touch screen that make the GM-800 3x as large and won't fit on a pedalboard.

Have we heard if a halfway decent 15’ TRS cable will work with the GM-800? I’m waiting for the BOSS cable ordered from B&H, but i may receive the unit before the cable. Well assuming the GK5 comes with my GM-800 order.
A short TRS cable should work as long as there isn't other radio interference nearby. I wouldn't trust it at gig full on nearby cellphones. The longer the cable, the more likely of problems.

Translation: Where's the wireless gk pickup that you need to recharge every other hour of use if it even works at all. Where's the touch screen that make the GM-800 3x as large and won't fit on a pedalboard.
I mean, if your sole goal is walking around the house in your underwear, playing sax on your guitar, I can see his point. But for anything else, gimme a cable.

HIRE A TRUMPETIST
SAVE JOBS!

Mario Moreno Mexico GIF

Oh that’s the point of contention? Strictly pitch to MIDI? It’s got sounds built in. Just use that. Or track both at the same time, clean up the MIDI later. It’s not like the FTP wasn’t a brutal lesson in frustration, and unlike the GR series, had no “in the box” fallback.
It's not. Really? I am salty as fuck today and glad the profanity filter is turned off :clint The FTP is a complete turd. This gear, though; is all about what works for you. Whether it's Roland/Boss 13 pin or FTP or Jam Origin. For me it's also in the dumpster faster than you can say a really short thing because I have zero time to get annoyed turning my guitar into a trumpet
jim carrey harry dunne GIF by Dumb and Dumber To

I mean, if your sole goal is walking around the house in your underwear, playing sax on your guitar, I can see his point. But for anything else, gimme a cable.
WHAT OTHER GOALS WOULD YOU HAVE BRO?!?!?!?!?
HIRE A TRUMPETIST
SAVE JOBS!

Mario Moreno Mexico GIF
I am being snarky. I think there are all sorts of cool off the wall things you can do with a guitar synth that don't involve covering LaVidaLoca :rofl I just read something on some GK FB group on someone making fun of us cover band guys who want to have a bunch of corny instrument sounds at our disposal and decided to be a dick about it just for some light hearted fun
Jim Carrey GIF

Cable, yes, usually. Two cables, or a chunky 13 pin cable, or an overpriced cable to 3.5 adaptor boxes… Getting colder, Roland.

I’ve been using software MIDI conversion on and off for almost 20 years (anyone remember the pre-Jam Origin WIDISoft?) and one of the greatest perks has always been getting everything from guitar to board with nothing but one cable or one wireless transmitter.

Cable, yes, usually. Two cables, or a chunky 13 pin cable, or an overpriced cable to 3.5 adaptor boxes… Getting colder, Roland.

I’ve been using software MIDI conversion on and off for almost 20 years (anyone remember the pre-Jam Origin WIDISoft?) and one of the greatest perks has always been getting everything from guitar to board with nothing but one cable or one wireless transmitter.
This particular niche of gear is really the nichiest of niches :rofl

Just messaged the seller and asked if the bundle was a "modular" bundle where they had the GK in it's own box, GM in it's own box and the cable separate or if it is actually a single box bundle with everything. I would be glad to grab a converter for my less used guitar for the time being :unsure:

I was going to grab GP10 and GK3 but no midi out to feed to my GM800 that will be here in a couple days.
I’m going to use the Korg Minilogue XD as a midi controller to audition sounds so I guess it won’t be a total pain to wait but I’m no keyboard player. In fact my keyboard skills are so bad it makes my guitar playing sound absolutely sort of not bad!

Someone over on facebook group said this about the gm-800 they just got "Tweaked the settings for my axe, and first impression is it's tracking better than my Gr-55, my Axon 100, and my FTP rigs ever did" and "oh and using a standard Monoprice 1/4-Inch TRS 1.5ft cable to go from GKC box to GM-800"

Someone over on facebook group said this about the gm-800 they just got "Tweaked the settings for my axe, and first impression is it's tracking better than my Gr-55, my Axon 100, and my FTP rigs ever did" and "oh and using a standard Monoprice 1/4-Inch TRS 1.5ft cable to go from GKC box to GM-800"
Clearly they're wrong, because some putz at TGP, who's never played the GM-800, said that's not possible to be faster than the FTP.

Back