Boss GM-800 and GK-5

so they are just there someone can plug their sampled B3 into terrible Marshall sim and try to sound like Jon Lord
Smoke on the Water with Lazy as a bridge here I come lol
Will Do Episode 2 GIF by The Office

I’m pretty sure the guitar stuff will be the exact PCM stuff from the Zen Core engine - also in the Zen Core FX library it has all of those amp models - so you have the amp FX but no way to route a real guitar signal through them - you can use those effects on the “clean guitar” PCM, but it sounds as good as you expect.

It seems they went all in on the synth on this one - looks like it’s only connection to the guitar is it’s use as a midi controller.

It seems they went all in on the synth on this one - looks like it’s only connection to the guitar is it’s use as a midi controller.
Well the good news for me is, if they got the tracking working, they are all in on the important part. I can get a guitar and amp into the mix a thousand other ways.
Getting to use guitar to control high quality key and synth sounds has been the missing ingredient since forever.

With the Serial output on the GM800 I wonder if Boss could develop a box that goes all in on Guitar and amp modeling? Seems like they already have the parts in hardware and software. Just pull the important bits from GP10 and GTCore let the GK5 send the raw hex output and make the 'GK5 Guitar BoxXX'. Surely they can get the hex signal filtered/processed to replicate a guitar output signal worthy of amplification.

Last edited:
Elsewhere someone asked about channel-per-string; looks like this can be done.

p. 12 of the Parameter Guide says this is in effect if you choose "Mono" instead of "Poly" in the Guitar-to-MIDI settings for the Scene.

Ok I need some help on routing thinking...

If I have boss sy-1000 already, but got the gm-800 coming and the gk-5 pickup coming, which converter box do i need and how many new serial gk cables to hook it all up?

Or would it be better to just go gk-2 or gk-3 pickup on guitar into sy-1000 and into which converter box? and then into gm-800 and how many new serial gk cables to hook it all up?

If I have boss sy-1000 already, but got the gm-800 coming and the gk-5 pickup coming, which converter box do i need and how many new serial gk cables to hook it all up?

Or would it be better to just go gk-2 or gk-3 pickup on guitar into sy-1000 and into which converter box? and then into gm-800 and how many new serial gk cables to hook it all up?
To me, if I am not doing alt tuning and guitar modeling; this would take over everything I use the SY and GR for. The analog synth vibe could easily be copped from what I am hearing and the PCM instruments that I use regularly are there as well. I do all my routing and blending/crossfading externally anyway. So I am kind of made for this piece as is :sofa:bag:facepalm:rofl:guiness

GK-5 -> GM-800 -> GKC-DA -> SY-1000
Looks like two TRS cables, one 13-pin cable.

The converter box naming should make sense if you remember that the TRS cable is carrying digital signal and the 13-pin cable is carrying analog signal.
-DA is digital to analog or TRS to 13-pin
-AD is analog to digital or 13-pin to TRS

GK-5 -> GM-800 -> GKC-DA -> SY-1000
Looks like two TRS cables, one 13-pin cable.

The converter box naming makes sense if you remember that TRS cable is carrying digital signal and 13-pin cable is carrying analog signal.
-DA is digital to analog or TRS to 13-pin
-AD is analog to digital or 13-pin to TRS
Come On In Ryan Phillippe GIF

Seriously though, whenever I looked at the guitar synth stuff it always looked like such a clusterduck that I've avoided it like I avoid IK's mystery packages.

You buy a hex pickup from Roland, get a synth pedal from Boss... but which one? Some of them do this, some of them do that, PCM this, guitar modeling that... oh there's one with a regular guitar input, is that good? Oh, there's one from Roland too...

Now would be a perfect jumping off point. New pickups, new flagship, it all finally makes sense... sorta, but it's the best one can expect from Roland/Boss.

Looking at the list in the editor I’m pretty sure it’s the latter. They all have names like “clean guitar”, “jazz guitar”, “fuzz guitar”

:confused:
Two cables or a wireless transmitter that doesn't get you wireless, then. Oops.

Elsewhere someone asked about channel-per-string; looks like this can be done.

p. 12 of the Parameter Guide says this is in effect if you choose "Mono" instead of "Poly" in the Guitar-to-MIDI settings for the Scene.
This is the one and only thing I miss from my hex pickup days. I get good tracking and polyphony out of Jam Origin, and I can pull a signal to drive it out my normal guitar path - so one cable, or one wireless unit, and I'm done. The only thing I can't do is give each string a different timbre, detune interval, etc.

Still looks like a six one half a dozen the other proposition. Give or take a thousand dollars.

Obviously get all the converters and cables and daisy chain them!
But if you're running a GK5 then there's no guitar (magnetic p/u) signal to daisy chain in the first place. (Unless I'm missing something.) And if you're running a GK2/3 and breaking out guitar signal on your pedalboard somewhere... well, then you're back to using that ugly GK cable. And I'm trying to be excited about the TRS serial cable.

But if you're running a GK5 then there's no guitar (magnetic p/u) signal to daisy chain in the first place. (Unless I'm missing something.) And if you're running a GK2/3 and breaking out guitar signal on your pedalboard somewhere... well, then you're back to using that ugly GK cable. And I'm trying to be excited about the TRS serial cable.
i was kidding :sofa

Probably the best option is use the GK5 to the GM800, use a wireless in the guitars output into the instrument input of the target of your choice.

I know the GK5 doesn't send instrument (analog) level out but I wonder if it can't or just doesn't by design. I think there is some tech that was being developed that had a digital signal and an analogue signal traveling down the same conductor. Sort of like the way they were going to wire the whole electric grid as a wireless broadband source and still deliver power at the same time. Probably problematic for instrument level analog audio though in its current form.

Back