Anybody else getting sick of modellers?

Late to the thread (8 pages in 1 day? Wow!)

Yep, got sick of modellers. Kept modellers. Bought amps. Got sick of amps. Sold amps.

Got over it. Still love modellers.

I can 100% understand this feeling.

Playing too much with headphones (with backing tracks even worse) is like always rubbing your disco stick, but you ever get to use it with your prefered sex. You get weird thoughts.

You NEED both: Modellers and real amps. And pedals. Many pedals.
Hybrid solves everything…
O…my pedals are in a drawer…but I captured them ;)
IMG_0579.jpeg

Been using the Synergy stuff for last 6 months.
Only using Fractal for effects now.

Fractal is great but I don't miss the - "this update sounds like the real amp - it sounds so real real" next update in 2 months
"this update sounds more like the real amp - it sounds so real real"

And repeat.

Been using the Synergy stuff for last 6 months.
Only using Fractal for effects now.

Fractal is great but I don't miss the - "this update sounds like the real amp - it sounds so real real" next update in 2 months
"this update sounds more like the real amp - it sounds so real real"

And repeat.
That’s kind of the nature of any modeler though, with varying speeds. I understand the sentiment though.
However, no one’s forcing anyone to update, just like no one’s forcing anyone to adjust the bias on their virtual power tubes, or change the amount of virtual dust that’s settled on their virtual OT.

Horses for courses . A great tube amp rig is usually too loud to gig and too heavy to move. I have both and it definitely isn’t one is better than the other. Use appropriately. It used to be tube amps to gig and modellers at home now it’s the other way around.🤣

NMD:
Just got my shiny new [insert brand here] and after a few hours with it I can honestly say it's 100% indistinguishable from any tube amp.

A year later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a game changer! The models sound so much realer now!

3 years later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a total game changer. The models really do sound incredibly real now.

5 years later......

Regardless the platform, this is a major part of why I keep bailing on digital. It's impossible not to get caught up in it
since it's a huge part of the whole digital thing. It's really a lot like a drug after a while.

Last edited:
Regardless the platform, this is a major part of why I keep bailing on digital. It's impossible not to get caught up in it
Indeed, it took me awhile to not get obsessed with the next greatest thing. But it's possible, even for someone with OCD. I just treat each patch as a rig, and then generally I'll stick to that. I did do the beta this time, but that's extremely rare for me.

Screw Cooper Carter.

Create a course of how to do that (not do that?) and you'll make millions! :giggle:

90qly0.jpg
That's amazing. :D

But seriously, whenever I help someone with their digital stuff, I try to insist on keeping things as simple as possible, so it's A. consistent and B. easier to troubleshoot.
The dude from last Wednesday wanted every song to match the album, even if it meant having four different crunch sounds.

3 years later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a total game changer. The models really do sound incredibly real now.

5 years later......

Perhaps for you. It's never been an issue for me. The first two modelers I owned fell far short of what I was looking for, and I sold them both within a short time, never having told myself that they sounded "real" (or even good). This was ca. 2006-07. The third modeler cleared the bar. Although I've since owned three more, I still use this one.
since it's a huge part of the whole digital thing. It's really a lot like a drug after a while.
Perhaps it is for some folks. I've never had that problem. Not everyone gets addicted to obsessions....

NMD:
Just got my shiny new [insert brand here] and after a few hours with it I can honestly say it's 100% indistinguishable from any tube amp.

A year later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a game changer! The models sound so much realer now!

3 years later.....

5 years later......

Yes in practice the updates are more about functionality than sound. Once the interface is good enough they don’t really matter much. The one that makes me laugh is Axe users trading a 3 for a mark 2 turbo. Unless you’re banging on the cpu 90% of the time it is utterly pointless.

Last edited:
Orange makes a very reliable solid state amp. In fact, it's one of the best solid state amps made IMO. Their higher end valve amps are decent but not bulletproof. All their hybrid stuff was/is a ticking time bomb just like Blackstar's hybrid stuff.

Mesa hasn't made a reliable amp since the 80's. My dad worked for Mesa Boogie in Petaluma CA for 17 years. He was one of the original cabinet makers there. He left Mesa Boogie in the mid 80's for a job at Boeing in Seattle because he said they no longer cared about anything but profit and he was sick of all the corners they were cutting. In fact, he said a large group of long time employees left over a few years for the same reason.

Mesa and Blackstar are similar in that they sound great, but a lot of their amps are just not reliable. I've seen more dual rectifiers and Mark series mesas take a dive on stage than any other amp.

If you you're now using software/digital stuff, you can't really trash any valve amp including a Harley Benton because they all sound better than what you're using. You know this to be true. I get it though. Hauling amps and effects around is a pain in the @$$
I regularly play with my rig (Fractal FM9 + 2 Laney LFR 112 cabs) right up next to other players with far more complicated and expensive tube-amp rigs. They are louder than they should be for the given club sizes. This is corroborated by the sound guys, audience members, clubs and sometimes the promoters. My rig sounds great quiet, and turnt up, and I get nothing from compliments from the soundguy--like: "I didn't need to use any EQ," and "oh thank God, you weren't so loud that getting a good audience mix was impossible." Sound quality-wise, it's a toss-up, and I win about 60% of the time.

At a recent show, I got the board tapes. My guitar was loud and proud coming out of the pa. Other guitarist's tube-amp rig was barely even in the mains--this is bad for your audience.

The only recent situation where I was outgunned was when I took out my Mesa Fillmore 50 (it was collecting dust and needed some love) to a jam and the guy running a katana next to me arguably sounded better on stage. (I'm told in the audience I was crushing him)

Saying something like (paraphrasing) "a Harley Benton will sound better than my rig," because I have a digital front end is completely ridiculous in 2024.

Perhaps for you. It's never been an issue for me. The first two modelers I owned fell far short of what I was looking for, and I sold them both within a short time, never having told myself that they sounded "real" (or even good). This was ca. 2006-07. The third modeler cleared the bar. Although I've since owned three more, I still use this one.

Perhaps it is for some folks. I've never had that problem. Not everyone gets addicted to obsessions....
Can I ask which one you're using these days, Jay?

Trade up for the different coloured LEDs and a free pen. It will only cost $1k more than the massive hit you just took to say you have the new one.

Trade up for the different coloured LEDs and a free pen. It will only cost $1k more than the massive hit you just took to say you have the new one.

turbo, ultra, new & improved, whiter and brighter, 100% stronger, 50% longer, 30% faster, et. al.;

And we'll throw in a free XXX if you act now!

attachment-ron-popeil-dies.jpg

Marketing 101 baby! :pickle

Back