Anybody else getting sick of modellers?

Fwiw, I don't even think about whether I'm sick of modelers or amps or whatever.
While I will likely modify my life setup some day soon for some reasons, the thought of ever going back to amps doesn't even remotely cross my mind anymore. Like never. Ever. It's just nothing to ever happen again. At best, I may improve my fullrange monitoring. Others than that, the ship has sailed once and forever. Should I ever use a "real" amp again, it'd be because it's supplied by the venue, is the only thing on a session or whatever.
I'm pretty sure there's some things I'd like when playing a real amp. And perhaps even prefer over a modeling based setup. But I couldn't even remotely think of enough reasons why these things would win over all the stuff coming along with modeling, especially when used in a FR monitoring setup.
IOW, modeling has solved sooo many issues for me, it's simply incredible.

Fwiw, I don't even think about whether I'm sick of modelers or amps or whatever.
While I will likely modify my life setup some day soon for some reasons, the thought of ever going back to amps doesn't even remotely cross my mind anymore. Like never. Ever. It's just nothing to ever happen again. At best, I may improve my fullrange monitoring. Others than that, the ship has sailed once and forever. Should I ever use a "real" amp again, it'd be because it's supplied by the venue, is the only thing on a session or whatever.
I'm pretty sure there's some things I'd like when playing a real amp. And perhaps even prefer over a modeling based setup. But I couldn't even remotely think of enough reasons why these things would win over all the stuff coming along with modeling, especially when used in a FR monitoring setup.
IOW, modeling has solved sooo many issues for me, it's simply incredible.
You're the real life Peewee Herman of the amp modelling world.

Close! They are digital Preamps and effects, with a class A/B poweramp stage.
Nah, the DSP has been matched to an analog FET gain stage before the power amp.
The preamp is not completely digital. When you crank the gain off the panel, that's partly analog.

Close, again. You don't "download" the sneaky amps, they're already on there without a real option to select them provided you use the panel or their editor. There are third party editors that allow you to select these sneaky digital Preamps, although one of my favorites was crippled with one of the Mk2 FW updates.

You can't access the sneaky amps off the panel because they were not created for the Katana. You can save them as presets when building or downloading patches. To get the sneaky amps in the tone studio, you have to download a couple live sets. That may not be the case now, but it was a few years ago. You can also have access to them through downloading a 3rd party app.

Because the Katana shares software, the ability to utilize the sneaky amps exists, but it requires a download. You could argue they already exist on the katana software, but they sorta don't without the software to access them. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Anyways, everything with the Katana seems like semantics. It's gotta be the most misunderstood amp of all time. People are still stuck on the whole concept of a "modeling amp," and that's just not really a thing like it used to be outside of older players doing covers because more players are choosing to get their sound from effects, not amp models. Because of that, amp models just don't matter as much as they used to. It doesn't matter if you're playing a simulation of a twin reverb or a jcm 800 if you're using a bunch of modulation effects like everyone does now.

Last edited:
When I played amps, I had Mesas and Orange.
Orange makes a very reliable solid state amp. In fact, it's one of the best solid state amps made IMO. Their higher end valve amps are decent but not bulletproof. All their hybrid stuff was/is a ticking time bomb just like Blackstar's hybrid stuff.

Mesa hasn't made a reliable amp since the 80's. My dad worked for Mesa Boogie in Petaluma CA for 17 years. He was one of the original cabinet makers there. He left Mesa Boogie in the mid 80's for a job at Boeing in Seattle because he said they no longer cared about anything but profit and he was sick of all the corners they were cutting. In fact, he said a large group of long time employees left over a few years for the same reason.

Mesa and Blackstar are similar in that they sound great, but a lot of their amps are just not reliable. I've seen more dual rectifiers and Mark series mesas take a dive on stage than any other amp.

If you you're now using software/digital stuff, you can't really trash any valve amp including a Harley Benton because they all sound better than what you're using. You know this to be true. I get it though. Hauling amps and effects around is a pain in the @$$

I'm very sick of being able to create any tone I want from one single box
I mean who would be sick of just having one amp and single cab with one set of speakers that cost more than my FM9 and then having a coffin sized pedal board, multiple power supplies and tons of cables, and having more switches that would confuse even Fred Astaire
So yes I'm very sick of modelers, especially my FM9

:guiness

Amps sound good. Modelers sound good. We're blessed with lots of ways to sound good these days and we should be able to recognize what would be best and adapt. If it's a situation where just direct into an amp is the best solution and you can move some air with lots of volume... do that. If a modeler or a hybrid rig would be better use that. If they want a silent stage be able to go direct that way too. Flexibility and not getting bogged down into only one way - being able to dial in good tones based on the situation in front of you is the way to be.
This is the way.

Orange makes a very reliable solid state amp. In fact, it's one of the best solid state amps made IMO. Their higher end valve amps are decent but not bulletproof. All their hybrid stuff was/is a ticking time bomb just like Blackstar's hybrid stuff.

Mesa hasn't made a reliable amp since the 80's. My dad worked for Mesa Boogie in Petaluma CA for 17 years. He was one of the original cabinet makers there. He left Mesa Boogie in the mid 80's for a job at Boeing in Seattle because he said they no longer cared about anything but profit and he was sick of all the corners they were cutting. In fact, he said a large group of long time employees left over a few years for the same reason.

Mesa and Blackstar are similar in that they sound great, but a lot of their amps are just not reliable. I've seen more dual rectifiers and Mark series mesas take a dive on stage than any other amp.

If you you're now using software/digital stuff, you can't really trash any valve amp including a Harley Benton because they all sound better than what you're using. You know this to be true. I get it though. Hauling amps and effects around is a pain in the @$$
Lots of bullshit here, but mainly about Mesa not making reliable amps since the 80’s.

And you’re fucking tone deaf if you think tube amps always inherently sound better than digital.

Not angry at all! I just think you’re full of shit. Big difference.
You clearly seem upset with my opinion, which again, is silly.

If you just disagreed with my opinion, you would articulate why you disagree. Instead, you're just talking aggressively and throwing out insults.

Chat GPT-4 says your last two posts show a 94% chance of emotional anxiety.

Anyways, let's just squash this. You seem cool. I mean, you got a digital modeler. That means you're probably pretty hip. Did you play in a metal band? I definitely think Mesa amps sound awesome. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Chat GPT-4 says your last two posts show a 94% chance of emotional anxiety.
IMG_2131.gif

Cool story. Not sure the Boeing reference and "quality" ages well though. :LOL:

I'm very sick of being able to create any tone I want from one single box
I mean who would be sick of just having one amp and single cab with one set of speakers that cost more than my FM9 and then having a coffin sized pedal board, multiple power supplies and tons of cables, and having more switches that would confuse even Fred Astaire
So yes I'm very sick of modelers, especially my FM9

:guiness
rick GIF

Back