Anybody else getting sick of modellers?

It's really a lot like a drug after a while.
It seems that's a user problem though, not a supplier .........
biggrin.gif

It's impossible not to get caught up in it

Can't second that. At least it's not like that for me. I don't ever need any "this is even more realer than real" update again and soundwise, I'd be absolutely fine with what I'm using since almost 3 years by now (ok, there's always some pedals changing here and there, but even that is kept at an alltime low for quite a while already). All I want is better usability. Which is why I will likely purchase a GT-1000 pretty soon (still need to check some other options I already have before) - defenitely not the most up to date device there is.

NMD:
Just got my shiny new [insert brand here] and after a few hours with it I can honestly say it's 100% indistinguishable from any tube amp.

A year later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a game changer! The models sound so much realer now!

3 years later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a total game changer. The models really do sound incredibly real now.

5 years later......

Regardless the platform, this is a major part of why I keep bailing on digital. It's impossible not to get caught up in it
since it's a huge part of the whole digital thing. It's really a lot like a drug after a while.
It happens…but I don’t think this applies to the majority of users/modelers.
There haven’t been major breakthroughs for quite some years now. Maybe in the methods how the endresult is achieved…AI, smaller and cheaper units…but that’s it.
Telling: Kemper is 14 year (?) old tech..,and still relevant..they recently released the player, same tech, sells like hotcakes.
Tonex….200,- unit gets you top of the heap capturing tech…prices like that don’t fit a market that’s still innovation driven. Good modeling has become a commodity..

Fwiw, are you still happy with those mini EXP pedals?
One of them is wah wah.
Yeah…pretty good. When you consider one…they require power, and pretty heavy.
Yesterday I had a bad audio connection for the first time..,main suspect the switch in the wah…but may well be false alarm…or/and another cause.

If I was to buy again…I’d look into the Hotone pedals with double purpose (wah/exp, tuner/exp)…because of that…but also cause they have led indicators of the pedals position.

If I was to buy again…I’d look into the Hotone pedals with double purpose (wah/exp, tuner/exp)…because of that…but also cause they have led indicators of the pedals position.

I have a Hotone Wah/Vol/EXP (Soulpress II) and it should be noted that you can't switch between Wah and EXP. The EXP out is always active. IMO that's quite a shame because if these could be switched between it'd finally be the first pedal that'd take care of the "don't want my wah at the same position as the EXP-volume" issue. I would then control the volume via EXP inside the Stomp, post all dirt and still have the Wah in front.
Fwiw, the Soulpress Wah is boosting the signal a bit. Sometimes, when I just want a clean wah sound, using my clean rhythm patch, I need to dial back the guitar volume just a little bit. Can be a tad annoying but I'm getting along with it.

NMD:
Just got my shiny new [insert brand here] and after a few hours with it I can honestly say it's 100% indistinguishable from any tube amp.

A year later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a game changer! The models sound so much realer now!

3 years later.....
Just loaded update x.x.x and it's a total game changer. The models really do sound incredibly real now.

5 years later......

Regardless the platform, this is a major part of why I keep bailing on digital. It's impossible not to get caught up in it
since it's a huge part of the whole digital thing. It's really a lot like a drug after a while.
It's the same thing that drives all of the constant amp, cab, pedal, speaker and pickup changes and NGD's. Constantly churning digital gear is the same thing. Often repurchasing the same gear several times. I admit to feeling the yearning for imminent Fractal firmware to trickle down to the FM9.

I just can't justify the kind of cash that people constantly throw at gear to essentially dial in pretty much the same sounds. Or always looking for the "perfect" solution that doesn't exist. I live vicariously though them though, because new gear days are fun.

I've posted before that I'm kind of out of place on gear forums. Since 2008 I've used only an Axe-FX standard, and now an FM9T. The last NGD I had is a partscaster 2HB Tele I put together in 2016. I have a Warmoth Tele neck that I've been sitting on and will eventually finish a traditional style build. And you can bet your ass I'll make a NGD post about it. Those dopamine boosts are few and far between for me. :rofl

It's the same thing that drives all of the constant amp, cab, pedal, speaker and pickup changes and NGD's. Constantly churning digital gear is the same thing. Often repurchasing the same gear several times. I admit to feeling the yearning for imminent Fractal firmware to trickle down to the FM9.

I just can't justify the kind of cash that people constantly throw at gear to essentially dial in pretty much the same sounds. Or always looking for the "perfect" solution that doesn't exist. I live vicariously though them though, because new gear days are fun.

I've posted before that I'm kind of out of place on gear forums. Since 2008 I've used only an Axe-FX standard, and now an FM9T. The last NGD I had is a partscaster 2HB Tele I put together in 2016. I have a Warmoth Tele neck that I've been sitting on and will eventually finish a traditional style build. And you can bet your ass I'll make a NGD post about it. Those dopamine boosts are few and far between for me. :rofl
I admire your reserved nature.

I have a Hotone Wah/Vol/EXP (Soulpress II) and it should be noted that you can't switch between Wah and EXP. The EXP out is always active. IMO that's quite a shame because if these could be switched between it'd finally be the first pedal that'd take care of the "don't want my wah at the same position as the EXP-volume" issue. I would then control the volume via EXP inside the Stomp, post all dirt and still have the Wah in front.
Fwiw, the Soulpress Wah is boosting the signal a bit. Sometimes, when I just want a clean wah sound, using my clean rhythm patch, I need to dial back the guitar volume just a little bit. Can be a tad annoying but I'm getting along with it.
Most Wahs have too much output ime…I’d use the modeled one if not all the expression slots were taken ;)

That switching between functionality is prob a bit costly…in my mind you’d have to control some resistance thingy that stays where it’s at when you switch to another function.

Anyway….are the LEDs visible enough to add value?
I have my delay levels under an expression…and it’s a bit of a hit or miss to get the levels right before count in without any visual feedback. The travel on those tiny pedals isn’t much reference either..

It's the same thing that drives all of the constant amp, cab, pedal, speaker and pickup changes and NGD's. Constantly churning digital gear is the same thing. :rofl

I was talking software but I get your point. HUGE difference though.

1. Buy an amp/pedal/cab and you dial it in until you 100% love the tone.

Then it's pretty much plug & play - until you have enough extra funds to indulge in more of the same.

2. Buy a digital modeler/captures/profiles device. You dial it in until you 100% love the tone.

Then it's plug & play until you can afford more devices.
........ or you decide to purchase or download additional models/presets/captures/IRs etc
........ or a new firmware is released

The same thing generally. But also not nearly the same granular details and effort involved.
Not saying whether it's good or bad because it's a personal choice, but they're very different IMO.

Last edited:
The really crappy thing about physical gear is that you listen to the sound clips and read all the hype, then purchase, and when you get it set up and it just doesn't sound good with your rig. So you spend a bunch of time trying to get it to fit in and sometimes convince yourself it's pretty decent, and then it goes into the closet.

I'm cleaning out my home office now and putting everything on the shelf except for the Quad Cortex, the Amped 1, and the Orange 1x12. Just gotta force myself to keep it simple.

53934264483_c1b985529f_b.jpg

Didn’t Periphery use older Axe-FX units until recently? I bet nobody in this forum could tell the difference between an older unit and a current iteration…

1724098005475.jpeg

This is a fantastic example of someone who’s discerning still using older tech.
IME, "newer tech" - I had an Axe-Fx II for a few years - may have made it easier for some folks to get the sounds they wanted, but the sonic difference once I had gotten my sounds dialed was negligible. The biggest difference for me is in the number of tone-influencing (e.g., amp, drive, compressor, EQ, cab sim) blocks I had to place in the signal chain to get what I'm looking for. The newer devices tend to require fewer addons, but that's irrelevant to me once I've finished building a preset. At that point, all modelers are just boxes you plug your guitar into. My Standard still does just fine, although I won't take a rack to a gig or rehearsal these days. In that case, I'll take my Atomic Amplifire (retroactively called "Amplifire 3").

Last edited:
Back