Anybody else getting sick of modellers?

Im so sick I wanna buy an fm9 and my sickness tells me it will be even a little noticeable difference for our low iq cave man stuff hahaha

Bro you need a dual Helix + FM9 setup… :love

Celebration GIF by Port Adelaide FC

morph youtube GIF by Hyper RPG

Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars

i like both and will always have a modeler and amps/preamps/pedals

for me real tubes still feel better under the hands/volume knob

but
the one thing i always remember is that holdsworth, fripp and hetfield were/are happy with modelers
so who the fuck am i to disagree?

My band mate borrowed a QC for 3 or 4 gigs where we needed to fly.

In the studio, at high volume, he made it sound identical to his boogie MKII. At least that's what we felt. Impressive. We couldn't tell the difference (and that's a lot to say in his case, not in mine though).

We flight to the UK, to Barcelona... He also flight to Madrid as a guest guitarist in a big event.

Now he's going back to the amp. The feelings are: the QC is great. It's maybe the only option (well, any good digital modeller, I mean) if you can't carry your amp and still want to keep your tone more or less under control. BUT, if you want the amp experience in the stage, digital is still not there. He missed the response and the air of the amp behind him, which are reasons enough to think it's still worth to carry his amp and a big pedalboards over the comfort of just a little box. He didn't either like the response of the QC when stacking some boosts into de capture... Which he does live if he feels like it... And the amp just eats everything, while the QC can even start to squeal.

Not too much of a difference. He still thinks the QC is a life saver... But he's not buying one... :idk

Regarding the audience... No, they're not going to tell the difference. It just sounds fantastic if the sound tech guy is not stupid.
Not sure how the QC works, but the Kemper has a separate monitor out from the PA send. I agree with him. If you need the string action, you have to move air. I can get the air to move just fine with a "FRFR" monitor and still send the Kemper to the PA separately so the FOH engineer can do their magic separately from my string singing needs.

My back hasn't missed my VHT Ultralead and 4x12 cab one single day since I sold it in 2013.

When I buy a new pedal and love it very much, one of the first things is connecting it to the Helix Floor and mimicking it with whatever model will come close enough.

Not always 100% the same, but the job is usually done.

That said, most of the time when I think "the real pedal sounds much better", I discover there are subtle volume differences, and the "real" thing is louder, so yeah... Make of that whatever you want.

Maybe it's my hearing that's to blame here. Anyhow, I'm a happy guy whatsoever. 🤷‍♂️

At this point in history, it really doesn't matter.

People shall explore and pick whatever they prefer, if money lets them.

No need to bring a 100W boat anchor to your gig, yet no need to go 100% digital/ampless/"FRFR".

Seriously, some folks should quit arguing and actually enjoy their gear. Period.

PS: Very slightly drunk, so I'm being honest and open about my stance. Cheers! 😂🥂🌈🥳

Back