Adding boosts to amps that don't need it

Does a compressor that's always on count as a boost? because my keeley comp + is always on, no matter what amp, no matter what guitar, no matter what level of gain I'm playing :idk

So obviously; I gave in. This Amazon turd incoming. Board #53 for continual goldilocks mode:
board.png

Has a "power supply" mounted underneath that is probably garbage. I am going to put the CS6 in it's place. I will be able to fit the Stomp and exp mounted on the GR55 on here as well as a wah, Grid Slammer/boost du jour and mayyyyyybe my tuner. I will put my BL footswitch on here as well. The Stomp can change amp channels on the VII (which is having issues rn perhaps ugh) so I should have "everything covered" with either amp and will be "done".

Again.

:crazy:brick:facepalm:rofl

Last edited:
So got the board on Friday. Pro: SOLID. Seriously hefty. Con: can't retro fit my powersupply. It is going back. I think. I get the Fender power supply this afternoon and that will be the guide on that.

Gigging the VII this Friday. Hem hawed about what all boosts I want to add and ended up on a cheap a$$ Mosky Silver Horse. Clean boost aft but will do the trick at volume with crunch and IV channels. Tried all the other usual suspects yesterday but this one won out. We'll see how it fares on Friday.

So got the board on Friday. Pro: SOLID. Seriously hefty. Con: can't retro fit my powersupply. It is going back. I think. I get the Fender power supply this afternoon and that will be the guide on that.

Gigging the VII this Friday. Hem hawed about what all boosts I want to add and ended up on a cheap a$$ Mosky Silver Horse. Clean boost aft but will do the trick at volume with crunch and IV channels. Tried all the other usual suspects yesterday but this one won out. We'll see how it fares on Friday.

Silver Horse beat out the Grid Slammer? Interesting.

Of course I've only used the GS for overdrive of the Clean channel, never for boosting crunch or high gain channels.

That's a plain ol' TS-9 Tubescreamer, component for component, but with double the clipping diodes for a tiny bit more headroom before clipping.

The Grid Slammer with just a little sizzle is awesome. I don't like it at quiet volumes though. It's great up loud. I'm going to give the Mosky a go this weekend first.

Mosky got beat out in 90w mode by the OCD clone last night. We'll see how it all plays out at the gig on Friday :clint
How are you using the boost? What mode, how much gain do you have the amp at, boost gain and level settings? Approximately

How are you using the boost? What mode, how much gain do you have the amp at, boost gain and level settings? Approximately
Kind of a slather on top of existing. For both channels. I am using Crunch mode on channel 1 and MKIV mode on channel 3. Crunch mode with gain up is GREAT for cover band/classic rock levels with the room to roll off guitar volume quite nicely. MKIV I have wayyyyy too gainy if I am being honest. Crunch with OCD clone is honestly about all I could ask for. For now

:bag :rofl

I think what will happen is I end up ditching GEQ on channel 1 and use channel controls and then use the GEQ to really sculpt MKIV mode. Another loud gig is going to tell the overall tale.

Every MT15 owner on FB: "putting a lower gain tube in V1 neuters the amp. It was meant to be a high gain Beast."

Also every MT15 owner on FB: "you don't boost the MT15, it's tight enough with enough gain already"

:facepalm

Back