Adding boosts to amps that don't need it

Update.

Gigged the VII for the second time last night. Holy F that crunch channel on ch1 is :chef Used my volume knob and pickup selector to vary tone and gain hitting the input of the amp. Did I mention I LOVE strats? JFC :guinessI left the EQ off as it doesn't need it for what I am doing.

My middle pickup on my strat is cranked wayyyyyyy down because I am dumb and pick in the wrong place. The great side effect of this is that it allows for not only a tone shift (that is so great on a strat) but also a bit of a switchable "cleanup". Very useful.

I didn't find myself tweaking anything but the master control on the amp once we were going. The amount of gain was a hair before juuuuuuust right as far as soloing goes.

Digging in bridged that gap. I am still at that spot where no soundcheck means trying to match channel volumes is tough without just switching channels midsong (once you are at a "happy with where you are at" gig volume) and hoping you aren't either A: disappearing or B: ripping someone's head off :rofl

I still feel like the VII doesn't need a boost. But the way I am wanting to use it; it does. So obviously; new thread incoming :cop:whistle

TS9: Going down?
Jive: ((laughs in Steve Tyler 'Love in an Elevator' voice))

I don't want a TS variant. I don't think? I have the Grid Slammer and the Caline Pure Sky. Neither is tripping my trigger at all with the VII. Might have to start just taking boosts I own and testing them out on the gig as what I like boosting up loud at home seems to work much better on the Badlander?

I don't think I have ever boosted my Mark V. I don't think Marks need it.

:sofa
I think boosting a Mark is strictly for a feel thing more than actually adding gain. I think (or for me), at least?
I'm thinking, so many great tones were made with this or rather its predesessor the OD-1 in the 80s, it must be doing something right.
It is a legend for a reason. Whether it is a go to for me or not \m/

I'm thinking, so many great tones were made with this or rather its predesessor the OD-1 in the 80s, it must be doing something right.
Isn't it just a tubescreamer with asymmetrical clipping instead of symmetrical? If your going gain on 0 level high, probably very little difference in it.

Isn't it just a tubescreamer with asymmetrical clipping instead of symmetrical? If your going gain on 0 level high, probably very little difference in it.
Very close but not really.
The SD-1 has another 88Hz low cut before the clipping stage so it is tighter than a Tube Screamer, and the OD-1 has a 340Hz low cut which is even tighter than the SD-1.
The palm mutes in the 80s were TIGHT due to the OD-1.

Metallica in early 1984, before Ride The Lightning.

kirk.jpg

zoom.jpg

Fireball doesn't really need a boost; however, I set gain half, lower the treble bit then boost with either ts9 or 808. Without boost it sounds darker good fit for death metal, with the specific boosted settings it goes gillette sharp thrashing machine.

OD-11.jpg

The Boss OD-1 was about the first OVERDRIVE pedal made, exceptperhaps the Ibanez Overdrives. But the early Ibanez pre-tubescreamer OVERDRIVES were quite fuzzy and distorted, while the OD-1is the first of the "tube screamer type" overdrivepedals. It was in the very first series of the Boss CompactEffectors. The OD-1 came out in 1977 and was discontinued in 1985. They were very popular in the LA metal scene in the mid 80s and the Japanese scene in the same time and much longer. The SD-1 took over from the OD-1 in the mid 80s but people still wantedthat pure OD-1 sound. The OD-1 (and SD-1) use asymmetrical clipping, which Boss has a patent on, to give some thick overdrive with an edge. Tube Screamers use symmetrical clipping for a smoother, warmer, less edgy sound.
From here.

Ironically, rectos are often considered amps that "need a boost" but I almost never boost my roadster. Unless my compressor that's always on count's as a boost :bag

Back