Adding boosts to amps that don't need it

I know it doesn't apply to your situation but have you tried an amp with a built in boost? Always wondered how those fair.

Also, are any of your boost pedals battery powered? Could just have one boost no power supply?
They all are afaik. Then it would be slippery slope right back to tuner---wah---3 boosts :brick:roflI'm just griping out loud at this point :bag

I tried going the path of multi-channel Mesa amps and no boost/dirt pedals, but it didn’t last long.

I need the option of boosting the amp and using pedal overdrive/distortion

I'm an odd duck i guess. I resist boosts and avoid amps that need them, and gravitate to amps that sound great without them. Even when i had my mini rectifier, I would try different boosts in front, and while I'd like the sounds, whenever I compared to the raw amp sound i found I liked that better. I am however coming around to the idea of an added drive boost for solos, but really haven't needed in my 40 odd years of playing.

I will say that my tapping has always sounded anemic, and I believe a boost would probably get it where it should be. So I pretty much have avoided excess tapping, which maybe isn't a bad thing :D

I pretty much live on JCM800-level gain at 5-6, then boost with pedal when needed. That always sounds/feels better to me than turning up the amp's gain, for whatever reason (probably some compression happening, EQ, etc).

However, I get the urge to simplify, especially with the MVII.

I'm an odd duck i guess. I resist boosts and avoid amps that need them, and gravitate to amps that sound great without them. Even when i had my mini rectifier, I would try different boosts in front, and while I'd like the sounds, whenever I compared to the raw amp sound i found I liked that better. I am however coming around to the idea of an added drive boost for solos, but really haven't needed in my 40 odd years of playing.

I will say that my tapping has always sounded anemic, and I believe a boost would probably get it where it should be. So I pretty much have avoided excess tapping, which maybe isn't a bad thing :D
Always Be Tapping™

Is this another thread where you wrestle with yourself in public, JT?

Brad Pitt Laughing GIF

:rofl

I’ve never been a fan of mixing amp distortion and pedal distortion, but hitting a mildly distorted amp with a clean boost pedal is absolutely where it’s at.

If the pedal has a low cut dial you can use to tighten up the character of the amp’s gain a little bit, even better.

I’ve never been a fan of mixing amp distortion and pedal distortion, but hitting a mildly distorted amp with a clean boost pedal is absolutely where it’s at.

If the pedal has a low cut dial you can use to tighten up the character of the amp’s gain a little bit, even better.
We have got to get you into gain staging. A Klon style clean boost into a tubescreamer into a rectifier modern channel is so good. You use less gain on each device but can mix and match how they saturate. Experiment! Don't let anyone dictate how you dial in your tone.

A curated boost into an amp that it's suited for it chef's kiss like a m*****f****r. Unfortunately; I am trying to boil down the board and use the baked in amp gain of which there is a metric *****ton.
Sounds like a rational plan to me.

Back