3.6 When ?

When will we be able to use an IR instead of the cab on the Cab+Amp blocks?

This and many other suggestion like this (more blocks, folder block, more eq bands, Amp+Cab, etc.) are constantly being asked.
I think there is a bigger fundamental problem, 8 series blocks is just not enough even with the current DSP limitations.

edit:
For next gen it would be nice to not be limited to a grid at all, only by the DSP.
Modelers with grids are soooo last gen. :p

Last edited:
I think there is a bigger fundamental problem, 8 series blocks is just not enough even with the current DSP limitations.

While I wouldn't mind having more blocks, I'm sort of fine with 8 on such a small device. However, dealing with those shouldn't be harder than necessary.

And did I mention that global blocks would likely solve a ton of these issues?

global blocks
I don't think I'd use that ever, in any preset, ever.
Maybe I can't picture it being useful, the only thing that comes to mind is several global EQs. Instead of one like now, you can store several of them, for venue 1, venue 2, headphones...

I don't think I'd use that ever, in any preset, ever.

Nobody would be forcing you.

Apart from that, this is the very situation I am right now running into, maybe this explains how this could easily become highly useful:
I have a patch on my Stomp that I'd like to use all throughout the gig. I will defenitely have to do some last minute/second modifications during soundcheck as this suitcase rig has never seen a stage yet, that's why I can't afford setting up multiple patches.
Now, all blocks are used up, but I'd absolutely like to have a phaser instead of that spacey delay on two songs. What to do? Copy the patch and replace delay with phaser, right. But in case I'd do modifications to the main patch (the delay one), I would have to save and copy that patch again, exchange the delay in favour of the phaser, re-save. Etc. Absolutely impossible during a sort of "rehearsal soundcheck".
With global blocks it'd be a piece of cake. I'd set all blocks but the spacey delay to "global", copy the patch, replace delay with phaser and call it a day. Each modification to all blocks but the phaser/delay one will now be reflected in either patch.
Absolutely impossible to work around that with the current line of HX family members.

Oh, and in addition, with global blocks I could just assign the most important parameters to faders of that MIDI controller app and could easily control everything from there.

I never actually use my Helix as an audio interface because it's huge and I have limited table area, but if I did, I would want that 124db guitar input to be functional with other plugins at low latency, say lower than 8ms true RTL.

Is it that bad now?
Its 12 in the best case scenario, and that is at a suicidal 64 buffers

I had tried the asio4all drivers with reaper but still couldn't get low enough latency to be usable. With gig performer I'm just using the line 6 drivers and it's been really good. I only tried it with my stomp because I wanted to check out the wall of sound plugin but had lent my interface to a friend. I loaded native so I had an amp sound to use with wall of sound and it felt great to play through. I've never gotten usable results with helix native using my stomp as an interface before regardless of the drivers used.
Even the gig performer guys will tell you reaper handles the ASIO drivers better than gig performer, so something is weird on the setup

I'd love to know what that could be. I spent ages trying to get reaper, native and my stomp to play nice together.
I’m still trying to figure what occasionally triggers the extra 16 samples in helix native. I doubt that’s enough to be making your problem though

I really hate the cab graphic, it gets bigger and I can only see three lines, so freaking annoying.
Edit: maybe add a button to hide it?

Edit2:
I love the cab block, I can get any sound just by playing with the parameters, it is SUPER versatile.
To adjust a great cab tone I need to SEE THE FREAKING CONTROLS.
But that darn speaker graphic... grrr. 😡😡😡

Last edited:
Fwiw, a very simple thing I want for 3.6: allow me to completely turn off any capacitive stuff

Need to quote myself. Had a small gig yesterday, took the opportunity to testdrive my small Stomp based rig.
Needed to adjust one or the other thing. And guess what was the first thing to happen? Lightly touched my clean/drive switch and the LED function inverted. Didn't notice that.
Count-In, Mr. Franck selects what is supposed to represent a clean sound but "brrrrooooomph".
Really, as you pretty much can't dial in anything while watching the screen without touching the switches (unless you try to mimic some tweezers with your fingers), this is something determined to happen.

TL;DR Just let me switch off any capacitive behaviour!

Global blocks would be sooooooooo cool! My main gripe with the Helix workflow is due to the fact that I use a preset for each song, but those presets mostly use the same blocks (amp, eq, delay…) with minor differences mostly related to automation of sound changes via snapshots. You won’t believe but I am constantly tweaking sounds, and every time I decide I want more or less mids, I need to change that in every instance of the same amp in all presets. Please give me a global block for that. The other thing is that every time I change guitar, the levels need to be tweaked. I’d love to have either a global input level control (not just global pad), or to be able to use a global gain control first thing in the chain. Those would save me so much time!

[…] You won’t believe but I am constantly tweaking sounds, […]
1678534787484.gif

I am +1 on the Bogner XTC 101b
Blue and Red ch w Reinholds help
And some sort of JCM800 w the bright cap

DSL2000 maybe many players seem to love that amp for classic Crunch and HiGain tones

Last edited:
The global block thing is kinda relevant. Headrush does (sorry if i upset anyone by dragging HR into a Helix discussion) a “thing” which I found to be very useful. For example, the amp block can be viewed as a plugin. Inside this plugin, all amp models are accessible and referred to as “presets”. Now, as we have access to all amps, nothing is restricting us from changing between them with scenes/snapshots/midi commands or whatever way we choose to call that change. For Helix this would probably go against the formula it’s written with, but may not be impossible. There’s probably not a real world need for it in the bigger units, but for the Stomp it would be a killer feature. But it’s a matter of latency or “gap” also. HR pulls it off smoothly when loading in/out amp models. Helix amps are heavier(?) or more demanding and it would maybe be like loading out and in an entire new preset. Idk.

Don't have time to check, but is it one of those open source licenses where if you use it, your tangential code becomes open source too?
It is under the MIT license, which imposes no restriction for commercial users. You don't need to open source your portions of the code. You are thinking of GPL, which is the thing that is a viral license, i.e. forces you to oss your code as well.

I like the idea of global blocks but isnt that what favorites are for? Tweak amp/OD/Delay and then save as a favorite and reload in the affected presets as needed? I use it that way in my song based setup. I have a "master" preset that I can use in "stompbox" mode for when I dont have a song patch made yet. Then when I go to setup the songs for the gig, I save the amp/od/delay/etc blocks from the master as my favorites and add them into the presets as needed.

Back