World’s BEST lead tone?

I’m gonna watch this on good speakers later because Tim is worth it!

I’m not one for the whole ”best” thing, but if I were going off the most unobtanium to recreate that also makes me giddy it’d be EJ’s lead tones from ‘88-’92. I spent 2 hours last night trying to get in the ballpark and I’m more like down the turnpike behind the stream of cars waiting to get off the exit so they can get to the ballpark, too.

Soooooo many to choose from, but one that sticks out to me is Skid Row's lead tones on "I remember you" and other tracks.

Somewhere in a box is a VHS of a band practice from 1998 with my high school band covering that song. I can tell you that the rig I was running then (digitech 2101 into the FRONT END of two Fender combos) did NOT deliver a lead tone similar to the original. :rofl

Soooooo many to choose from, but one that sticks out to me is Skid Row's lead tones on "I remember you" and other tracks.
I have to agree. That is for sure my all time favorite. Very inspiring to the adolescent me...also very frustrating as I could never duplicate it. Figured there's some studio magic happening cuz they can't quite do it live either 😂. The lead tone from in a darkened room is also pretty amazing.

I always thought Jimmy Page's LP tones were great. It's extremely unique. There was only 1 time that another song made me think of his tone, and it was a live version of Lenny Kravitz' are You Gonna Go My Way, and really, I only noticed it when they played the chord right when he sings, "But what I really wanna know is..." Something about that made me think of how Page's live TSRTS tone. But it was very brief.

Sloppiness and soulful bluesy solos aside, no one else has that Page tone.

And it's been mentioned, and I agree that Ty Tabor is another one who has an awesome, instantly-recognizable, unique tone. Love it!

So many more...

I always thought Jimmy Page's LP tones were great. It's extremely unique. There was only 1 time that another song made me think of his tone, and it was a live version of Lenny Kravitz' are You Gonna Go My Way, and really, I only noticed it when they played the chord right when he sings, "But what I really wanna know is..." Something about that made me think of how Page's live TSRTS tone. But it was very brief.

Sloppiness and soulful bluesy solos aside, no one else has that Page tone.

And it's been mentioned, and I agree that Ty Tabor is another one who has an awesome, instantly-recognizable, unique tone. Love it!

So many more...
Another great lead tone and one of my favorites is Is There Any Love In Your Heart Craig Ross always kills it on tone and style, IMO

George Lynch "Night By Night". Tim Caswell-modded SIR Plexi, Fernandes Sustainer, + bit of outboard grease, if you believe what has been written.

Some of the guys over at SLO-Clone forum infer that that amp might have been the same SIR Plexi that Slash used on AFD. Same aggressive, ratty tone. Not 100% but GL toured with it for "Under Lock and Key", recorded "Back For The Attack" with it, then returned it to SIR ('86-87).

Could be bullshit, and wishful thinking. But when I listen to AFD and BFTA back-to-back, the crunchy chord tone is very similar to my ears.

Back