No idea what high gain amp I need

That's exactly right!! Spot on.
The problem with that in most cases is you will compromise something else that sound the low end can’t be surgical tight and will have to incorporate some sag , you said you are ok with boosting which you will likely have to do
Tremonti PRS amp might fit the bill it’s kind of a Recto / Uber
Too me a Bogner XTC red w a boost is a formidable beast
That amp can do the VAI liquid leads to the AIC Cantrell like chunk
Although it would not be my first choice for like Metallica
It has that low end chunk and give that I think you want

I have had and loved a Marshall JCM 800 and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I also had a Mezzabarba MZero Overdrive and Super Kraken but spend guilt got the first one sent back within the returns period and the latter went back because I just wished it was a Mesa. My issue with the Marshall and Mesa was that if I wanted to use them in the same song, for example, they sounded too different and it wasn't coherent to go from Marshall crunch to Mesa saturation.

I've loved the Cornford MK50 II tones on a Fractal Axe FX III and really liked an SLO 100 for lead stuff, but they lack something for heavy riffs, and I found this with the MZero too, it was so good for lead stuff that it wasn't tight enough or defined for riffing.

So I'm at the point now where I literally have no idea what I'm aiming for. I just know I want to go from crunchy to super saturated but tight, but I would like the lead ability too. Which made me think of a Diezel VH4, but I'm worried it'll have a distinct tone that really doesn't sound like what I've been used to for the best part of 20 years of playing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and it's not lost on me how spoiled, entitled and first world this all sounds. Please excuse that.
Shouldn’t we be asking you this question?
Reminds of self help forums and shiller’s asking questions…

Back