World’s BEST lead tone?

And so many great Petrucci tones. Here's one I especially love, from Home:
Really, this song has all kinds of crazy good tones. Especially also @ 2:30

And the outro solo from Octavarium. So creamy, yet biting:

Just goes to show, you can have a tone that sounds killer isolated, and in a mix!

Amazing tone can be got in many ways and nothing is right or wrong but the one thing it always has is an amazing player at the top of their game.
I’m not saying gear doesn’t matter but it only has the potential for great tone. A bad player can make even the best rig sound like a PV bandit. I come across players all the time that just don’t seem to actually listen to themselves.

For me it's Alex Lifeson's tone on Caress of Steel
I think I have to agree with the Comfortably Numb mention above.

But I also love Limelight.

And Caress of Steel. Geez, so many "deep cut" gems on that one. I'm really partial to three of the more restrained examples on that one as far as his leads/lead tones. I've always loved the outro on Return of the Prince with the major pentatonic vibe, which is unusual for him. Another would be the Bacchus Plateau outro solo which has to my ear sort of a Caribbean vibe and is pretty un-Rush-like. The third is the solo in No One at the Bridge which is I think the first example of a style of solo he goes back to on occasion throughout the years, e.g., The Razor's Edge, and The Garden which in a sense was his 'final Rush solo'.

Every time I go back and listen to Caress of Steel I am still impressed by what a great guitar record it was. Then I consider the fact that Lerxst was all of maybe 22 years old at the time.

And echoing what Baba mentioned, I also love the lead tones/solos on Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder.

Every time I go back and listen to Caress of Steel I am still impressed by what a great guitar record it was. Then I consider the fact that Lerxst was all of maybe 22 years old at the time.

I have almost a manchurian thing with that album. I cant just listen to a track or two, I have to listen to it from beginning to end.

I've always really loved Slash's Sweet Child solo tone. While almost certainly ridiculously bright in person, I love the aggression it brings to his solo on that track.

I think I have to agree with the Comfortably Numb mention above.

But I also love Limelight.

And Caress of Steel. Geez, so many "deep cut" gems on that one. I'm really partial to three of the more restrained examples on that one as far as his leads/lead tones. I've always loved the outro on Return of the Prince with the major pentatonic vibe, which is unusual for him. Another would be the Bacchus Plateau outro solo which has to my ear sort of a Caribbean vibe and is pretty un-Rush-like. The third is the solo in No One at the Bridge which is I think the first example of a style of solo he goes back to on occasion throughout the years, e.g., The Razor's Edge, and The Garden which in a sense was his 'final Rush solo'.

And echoing what Baba mentioned, I also love the lead tones/solos on Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder.

I have almost a manchurian thing with that album. I cant just listen to a track or two, I have to listen to it from beginning to end.
I must need to listen to this again. I kind of just (wrongfully) shelve it away in the self titled/too primitive era and not 2112 and beyond era? I know Lakeside Park and Bastille Day, obviously; but the rest I am not familiar with at all. And I LOVE Rush.

I must need to listen to this again. I kind of just (wrongfully) shelve it away in the self titled/too primitive era and not 2112 and beyond era? I know Lakeside Park and Bastille Day, obviously; but the rest I am not familiar with at all. And I LOVE Rush.

It's an insanely good album. The guitars and songwriting especially are just out of this world.

I've always been a sucker for power ballad guitar solos. These two have the right mix of cut and bite.

I've always been a sucker for power ballad guitar solos. These two have the right mix of cut and bite.

Empty Rooms is great when you consider Gary used a stock Marshall and two governor pedals nailed on 10 at the time. Or maybe that was slightly later.

Yes I checked it was 88 with the governor pedals.

Empty Rooms is great when you consider Gary used a stock Marshall and two governor pedals nailed on 10 at the time. Or maybe that was slightly later.
Yeah I tried to google what he might've used on that one. That lead tone is raw enough to summon Gordon Ramsey!

Gordon Ramsay Masterchef GIF

Back