I love the 2018 multi-watt Dual Recto I have ...what else would I love???

It's another Mesa, but I always tell people who fall in love with a Dual to try a Triple. Generally bigger and clearer, but sometimes less aggressive, so you have to go through a few unless you hit a great one right away.

Other suggestions:

-KSR Gemini/Artemis and Colossus (Many KSR amps are in the SLO/Recto/5150 vein. Lots of features to sculpt though.)
-Randall 667 (The Kirk Hammett sig might be good to check too. I've not played one though.)
-Soldano Avenger (Always sounded like a tighter, meaner SLO to me. Not as wide sounding as the SLO. My favorite Soldano.)
-Engl Powerball (I actually prefer the old PB I over the PB II.)
-Diezel Herbert (This, a Fryette Ultra Lead, and old Mesa Mark Coliseum heads are the best low end handling guitar amps ever. Killer clean channel too.)

Steve is a legend. But man is he quirky. Also stubborn and defiant
with the heart of a DIY Punk Rocker. :idk

He's not into conglomerates and corporations. Held control of his
passion and company against all odds, too. Might not get the
instant customer service of a bigger outfit, and may not produce
in massive quantities like those who outsource their production,
but you do get some great gear that is not found anywhere else.

Steve is a legend. But man is he quirky. Also stubborn and defiant
with the heart of a DIY Punk Rocker. :idk

He's not into conglomerates and corporations. Held control of his
passion and company against all odds, too. Might not get the
instant customer service of a bigger outfit, and may not produce
in massive quantities like those who outsource their production,
but you do get some great gear that is not found anywhere else.
I don't even think he was particularly involved in my situation. In fact, I'm even skeptical that Fryette were involved at all. Part of me suspects it was entirely down to the UK distributor at the time. But I'll never know fully.

Anyway, water under the bridge. Mostly. I really dig that Fryette tone. Our last album is Sig:X + VH4. Sounded monstrous!

I don't think you'll be able to move on until you scratch that Revv itch tbh. I'd love to spend some time with the four channel revv. They're some of my favourite models in the Helix too.

WHAT?? (I assume you're not talking about substituting EL34's for 6L6's, or vice-versa, are you?)
Nope.

Substituting an 12AX7 for a 12AY7, for a few minutes, to check if it cleaned up the distortion I was getting on the clean channel.

Actually what was happening was, the rectifier tube was completely boned. But I didn't know that because I had no experience with rectifier tubes at the time. I took it to a tech and they spotted the issue immediately. The recto tube sounded literally like a rain stick!!!

We replaced it, and all my problems went away instantly.

The distortion was actually on all channels, but harder to hear on the drive channels because it was being masked by the natural distortion coming from those channels.

I think I’ve said it before, but my buddy has a G100 and while it does sound good, it wouldn’t be my first choice vs most other high gain amps

(And he had afatal issue and while it was covered under warranty the whole process took over 6 months since the local authorized tech couldn’t fix and it had to go all the way to Canada and back)

Knowing how you feel about tight high gain tones, you owe it to yourself to spend at least a couple days with a Mesa Mark III. Make sure it has the 5 band EQ, simul-class is preferable but not a showstopper.

Hands down some of the tightest, most articulate, and brutal high gain tones I’ve heard. Can be super modern especially with blue and green stripe versions.

They get looked over because they’ve lived in the shadow of the C+ since the beginning, but the big secret is they do metal even better than the C+.

Knowing how you feel about tight high gain tones, you owe it to yourself to spend at least a couple days with a Mesa Mark III. Make sure it has the 5 band EQ, simul-class is preferable but not a showstopper.

Hands down some of the tightest, most articulate, and brutal high gain tones I’ve heard. Can be super modern especially with blue and green stripe versions.

They get looked over because they’ve lived in the shadow of the C+ since the beginning, but the big secret is they do metal even better than the C+.
I LOVE my Mark III but @Orvillain is reliant on multiple channels and is used to monster multiple channel amps like VH4/JVM etc. Can imagine the IV/V/VII would work better for him just for the flexibility.

Back