Why can’t Mesa…

Preaching to the choir. My mark III is getting buried with me. Even still, the IIC+ is the more well known (and most scarce) Mark series amp.
We need to change the dynamic around the Mark III. It’s a ***BRUTAL*** sounding amplifier and one of the heaviest sounds I’ve ever played. Plus it has a fender blackface and a Marshall Plexi all in the same circuit, what’s not to love?

When it comes to the IIC vs III, I find the common internet banter around these amps to be really funny. Remember, the Mark III isn’t as good as the Mark II because of the transformer. But the early Dual Rectifiers are superior to the modern DRs because they use the Mark III transformer.

It’s hilarious.

The Mark III with the bass knob pushed gives you unbridled heavy tones in the lead circuit, and you can switch in one more gain stage (correct me if this isn’t the right term) by pulling the Rhythm 2 knob. If you pull the bass knob, turn the lead gain down and the treble up, the amp gets boomier like a rectifier and then takes an overdrive out front extremely well if you want that really pushed TS into a heavy amp type of tone.

Those are my biggest use cases for it. I love the III so much, it’s a great amplifier.

We need to change the dynamic around the Mark III. It’s a ***BRUTAL*** sounding amplifier and one of the heaviest sounds I’ve ever played. Plus it has a fender blackface and a Marshall Plexi all in the same circuit, what’s not to love?
Part of the issue might be that there is some real tonal variation between the III revisions. My III blue stripe was absolutely insane brutality in the lead channel, but also very toppy. I dropped a 1uf cap into c30 and it made a significant difference in the lead channel. I think people are just having different experiences.
When it comes to the IIC vs III, I find the common internet banter around these amps to be really funny. Remember, the Mark III isn’t as good as the Mark II because of the transformer. But the early Dual Rectifiers are superior to the modern DRs because they use the Mark III transformer.
Metallurgy and transformer design is certainly not my subject, but I do personally think there is something to the “older transformers are better” sentiment we see. In the case of the early Rectos, I don’t think the mojo had as much to do with the transformer coming from a Mark III, moreso that it was an older transformer with a different design from an era.

The Mark III with the bass knob pushed gives you unbridled heavy tones in the lead circuit, and you can switch in one more gain stage (correct me if this isn’t the right term) by pulling the Rhythm 2 knob. If you pull the bass knob, turn the lead gain down and the treble up, the amp gets boomier like a rectifier and then takes an overdrive out front extremely well if you want that really pushed TS into a heavy amp type of tone.
As long as I only need 1 tone at a time, I can get just about anything from cranked Princeton through …and Justice For All out of the III. There is a world of tones on the lead channel when you start dropping those dial drive knobs down, not that anyone ever bothers to explore that because the thing is so inspiring at high gain settings.

It’s hilarious.

Those are my biggest use cases for it. I love the III so much, it’s a great amplifier.

Me with my multi-watt 2018.....

Pig Mud GIF by MOODMAN

happy on my way GIF by Tirol

Happy Fun GIF

pig GIF

No.
Boogie needs to break into the modeling arena.
“Mother Mesa”
Since Mesa kept such good logs of the amplifiers they repaired/modded, they put every amp Nesa EVAR made however you want it

Me?

Channel 1 Lonestar Classic’s channel 1
Channel 2. Stilletto Ace channel 2 Fluid Drive
Channel 3. MkIV channel 3
Fire in the damn hole.

BTW - if any of you heads are wondering why no channel 4 lead channel?

That’s what the assignable onboard volume
boost is for..for my leads.
Also, each channel has it’s own channels dedicated effects loop with
Send & Return adjuster’s.

No.
Boogie needs to break into the modeling arena.
“Mother Mesa”
Since Mesa kept such good logs of the amplifiers they repaired/modded, they put every amp Nesa EVAR made however you want it

Me?

Channel 1 Lonestar Classic’s channel 1
Channel 2. Stilletto Ace channel 2 Fluid Drive
Channel 3. MkIV channel 3
Fire in the damn hole.

BTW - if any of you heads are wondering why no channel 4 lead channel?

That’s what the assignable onboard volume
boost is for..for my leads.
Also, each channel has it’s own channels dedicated effects loop with
Send & Return adjuster’s.
I’ll eat a sweaty pair of underwear if Mesa comes out with a modeling amp anytime soon.

Unless, and hear me out, it's a modernized Triaxis in a smaller package, with 4-5 12ax7s in it, and IR loading.

I’m not sure if I trust Mesa IR loading cabclone on the badlander doesn’t seem to be working out for me…. Hopefully I’m just being dumb though :idk

That’s far more likely. A modern V-Twin with a GEQ and an IR loader.
I know it’s not everyone’s bag, but I’d actually support innovation in this space. I think there’s ample room for it. If anything, a strong case could be made that Mesa was trying to solve some of these modern problems way before technology caught up.

I’d be willing to throw money at a studio preamp reissue with the recording outs replaced with a 2:90 sim and some selectable IR slots. Throw in MIDI to let me control some of those pots in realtime and holy shit we’re in a new ballgame.

Real chances of any of this are slim.

Also, let me add I don’t actually know anything about something like that, I swear. All I know is that they were asking dealers what they thought of a modernized V-Twin idea, YEARS ago.

I’m not sure if I trust Mesa IR loading cabclone on the badlander doesn’t seem to be working out for me…. Hopefully I’m just being dumb though :idk
Make sure you're using 48khz IRs, you'll get silence otherwise. The badlander manual doesn't go into much detail, but grab the CabClone IR manual from the mesa site and it should help.

Make sure you're using 48khz IRs, you'll get silence otherwise. The badlander manual doesn't go into much detail, but grab the CabClone IR manual from the mesa site and it should help.

When I was googling a post from you here actually came up regarding this lol. But that didn’t seem to help.

A run down of what’s happening currently:

Kind of at a loss with the cab clone. Maybe user error but it’s seeming buggy as hell or at best needlessly complicated :idk

Tried again replaced all the IRs with ownhammer ones, 48khz, identical files in corresponding positions for both channels.. go back I’m getting raw signal with no IR applied in every position (which as per the manual shouldn’t even be possible) plug back in and double check my IRs, pop one of the stock ones back in one of the positions tk test, eject and restart. Suddenly I’m getting one of the IRs I loaded in the first spot, but silence in every other one ( including the position I reloaded the stock IR into) go back replace the stock one again and trying again I’m back to completely raw signal again

Kind of over messing with the cab clone anymore today. I’ve entered an era of being kind of over IRs/direct anyway lol

Back